Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What do the "National Rankings People" see in Bowling Green?

Featured Replies

Don't get me wrong here, Bowling Green is a fine football team with a lot of talent and solid coaching. However, they have been rolling over a terrible 5A class and when they were in the same class with Highlands, CovCath, and LexCath frankly Bowling Green got embarrassed more than once.

 

Last year Bowling Green beat a new Cooper program by 14 points in the finals and beat a below average X team by a TD while giving up 31 points. And granted John Hardin was strong last year but BG only beat them by 1 point in the semi-finals.

 

In 2011 their own real quality win was an 8pt win over another below average X team.

 

For MaxPreps I think the answer is simple, it is nothing but marketing. I think MaxPreps looked at KY and thought who can we rank that is off the beaten path and therefore attract attention to MaxPreps and they came up with Bowling Green.

 

Again, what do the "National Rankings People" see in Bowling Green?

 

Using Ohio and no other states, I believe there are about five teams in Cincinnati that would beat Bowling Green and 25 or more in the state of Ohio.

 

My points are National Rankings are a joke and this is marketing/self-promotion by MaxPreps.

 

Agree? Disagree? Why?

  • Replies 91
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What would MaxPreps get out of ranking a KY team highly? I don't think western Kentucky is a big-time national market by any means.

I have always felt that the national rankings are a joke and even though my Purples are now being recognized I still feel that way. There is no way that the guys that do these rankings see every single team play. I also think there are teams that may win 5 games in Florida or Texas that would come up here and compete with credibility against the best we have to offer. National rankings are a joke and always will be.

 

I do feel the rankings are great for recognition and I enjoy seeing BG get some recognition. I also think that BG is in the midst of a very special time at the school and I is good to see them be able to fully enjoy that as well. Moments like this are defining moments for programs and I am happy to see BG get some love but there is no way they are 24th in the nation.

 

 

Hell, I hesitate to call them the best team in the state with a straight face.

I like the Purples. I don't know if this is a marketing ploy or just a very ill-informed ranking staff. They may work on a system of so many teams from each area of the country and BG made the cut that way. Might be 15 teams in Ohio that are deserving but they may only pick 2 or 3 out of that area....I dunno just a guess.

  • Author
What would MaxPreps get out of ranking a KY team highly? I don't think western Kentucky is a big-time national market by any means.

 

It is a new market and/or something other than Louisville and NKY.

Well, whatever the reason, way to go Purples!

So basically if BG beats St. X....again.....3rd time in a row.....they defeated yet another below average team? Does that mean the only time St. X is above average is when they defeat BG or Trinity? Nobody else defeats St. X but when BG does they are 'below average'?

 

Also the CovCath and LexCath teams that embarrassed BG are considered two of those programs finer teams and Highlands started their unprecedented run of 6 straight titles with a victory over BG in BG's 3rd straight trip to the finals. This version of BG and last year as well are considered two of BG's finest teams ever. Cycles happen. Doesn't mean the recognition and respect isn't deserved.

 

Come on, mannnnn.....

National Rankings may or may not be adequate but I believe that what AAU is to High School Basketball is what 7 on 7 is for football. AAU is really more of an indicator of talent (more so individual talent). The past several years these 7 on 7 passing tourneys has taken over. More "looks" from recruiters and press from outcomes will give the superior teams a nudge up the rankings. What Purples has done in Dalton, GA. the last couple of summers has not hurt them as well as Coach Wallace receiving an A+ on keeping the Purples name in the recruiting wars and prep sports media outlets (Purples always have statistical information turned in to various outlets, on time - every time).

 

So, long story short - your rankings get bias real quickly in summer before Friday nights in the Fall ever arrives.

Bobby Petrino has a way of dragging the media around with him...Just sayin

 

 

Ya know, they are just camped out waiting for him to fart and so happen to stumble upon a good football program that has been successful of late.

 

Either way great job BG for representing KY:thumb:

High School football teams have different players every year. How can someone say they aren't deserving and when they say those things they look back at the team several years ago to clarify their argument. These teams had an entire different corp of players back then. There isn't a single player on BG this year that played on the team when they were in HHS class etc. So who is to say BG would get embarrassed by Highlands or Cov Cath now? I don't, I actually think they would beat those teams.

 

This isn't the NFL where players play on a team for 10 years. This is High School Football, the stars on this years team were sophomores when they beat St X who apparently was "Down" that year. 5A may be a weak class according to the OP of this thread, yet the team that lost to BG beat every 6A team they played last year.....yet it is still a weak class.

 

I don't get it, do you need to win 6 state titles in a row before being considered a good team? That makes no sense because it is an entirely different team the 6th title won than it was with the 1st title won. Not a single player played on both teams. This thread confuses me.

 

The so called weak class of 5A last year, or as the author states "Terrible class" had teams that beat every team in other classes they played such as CCH etc. If 5A last year was considered a weak class, what class in the state isn't considered weak? Class 6A had numerous teams that lost to 5A teams last year. Class 4A had several teams that lost to 5A teams last year. Class 2A had their state champions get embarrassed in their scrimmage against a bad Cooper team...a 5A team.

I don't know but I don't care. Congrats to the Purples!

A win vs St. X would be pretty substantial this year. Outside of Trinity, who in the last 3 years has a "statement win?" Everyone seems to be beating teams than they are better than, and no real big upset has happened since what Highlands v. St. X in 2009?

A win vs St. X would be pretty substantial this year. Outside of Trinity, who in the last 3 years has a "statement win?" Everyone seems to be beating teams than they are better than, and no real big upset has happened since what Highlands v. St. X in 2009?

 

That below average 2011 X team beat Cincy X.

I'm with the majority here...who cares why they're ranked...just be happy they are.

 

...and more so, who cares AT ALL what Ohio teams would do against BG?...it's Ohio, this is BLUEGRASSpreps, not OHIOpreps. Quit rooting for the boys across the river and root for your own.

 

...and by the way, the mighty teams from Ohio (Trootwood, Moller, Elder, St. X) that I’ve seen play KY teams haven't exactly faired too well here lately when they enter the Bluegrass.

It is a new market and/or something other than Louisville and NKY.

 

Wouldn't a Lexington school make more sense per that logic?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.