Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Story on Highlands Boosters

Featured Replies

  • Replies 103
  • Views 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great story. I had the pleasure of being a member of the HHS Boosters a few years ago and co-chaired the benefit dance and I cannot tell you how generous the people of Ft. Thomas are when it comes to funding the athletic programs. It's not just football they support either; the Boosters make sure they represent and contribute to every sport. If a coach needs something to help his/her program, the Boosters make it happen.

I disagree with a few points: the article says small schools don't have the money (I realize they are talking about NKY), that is not really true. I was shocked at the amount of money spent by Beechwood. As a comparison, Raceland's Touchdown Club made five times the money Beechwood's Boosters did. I also disagree with, football not being a "cash cow". For us, it is: our band funds their entire season from football concessions, Cheerleaders fund their entire season from Freshman and JV football concessions, softball sales items at the football games and that provides a large portion of their operation costs, the school's football account is funded completely by gate money at football games, and of course the Raceland-Worthington Touchdown Club Inc is completely funded by football activities, and the Touchdown Club saves the school $50,000 per year by making all purchases for the football program.

 

With that said, I venture to say that every successful football program in the sate has a high quality boosters club behind it. Hat's off to Highlands, it sounds like they are making great contributions to their football program.

It looks like Raceland does a great job of spreading the wealth to all programs, but everything is centered on the football program. I see where you say that several teams earn money from the concession stand. Very interesting. Highlands chooses to farm out a potential big money maker to its sports teams to the Lion's Club. IMO, this should become an inhouse operation and since there are 2 stands in the stadium the work can be farmed out to the various sports teams and other extra-curricular clubs as a means to raise money without having the kids go out and sell things. In addition, maybe the prices would not be so outrageous for what you actually get.

IMO ... they did not do a good job reporting all of Beechwood's numbers in that story.

IMO ... they did not do a good job reporting all of Beechwood's numbers in that story.

 

Funny how one big school was left out of any mentions. thats cool though. like LN said, all is accounted for. On Beechwood money thing, no biggie. I'm not so sure the fella that did the report actually did all his homework. I think there is a different angle going here IMO. Interesting article but if you are going to list a couple big boys, then do everybody so we can see where everyone stands. They list the state testing scores for everyone, so Mr Schuh, investigate a little further and give us a complete report. Other than that look who everyone is talking about again. HHS and Beechwood. To borrow a line for another poster

 

Just sayin!

CCH is BINGO funded.....I believe. Want to test my theory.........try parking in front of the gym doors at 5pm on a Thursday.

 

Huge THANK YOU for Bingo and those that run it.

Interesting enough to know that the FTEF & Tailgate club are one of the same and the money that is collected for their programs go 100% to teachers grants and building improvements. Not the football program. And before someone says, well they just gave money for the new scoreboard and that they did. But it is also part of the Capstone program that is part of the communications program. Highlands just found a better way to apply the money.....A scoreboard!!!! Something that will be manned by students alike and is part of their study grade. There are a lot of discrepancies in that article and its too bad all the facts aren't there. I know 1st hand that the FTEF will now have to work double time to convince the money givers that their money will go to the school and not the Football program just because some beat writer used his plateau to express his disdain. Yes disdain. I said it! Like someone else said, show me some of the numbers of other big football schools and I bet they are like HHS...

  • Author
IMO ... they did not do a good job reporting all of Beechwood's numbers in that story.

 

I was wondering about that as well.

  • Author
Funny how one big school was left out of any mentions. thats cool though. like LN said, all is accounted for. On Beechwood money thing, no biggie. I'm not so sure the fella that did the report actually did all his homework. I think there is a different angle going here IMO. Interesting article but if you are going to list a couple big boys, then do everybody so we can see where everyone stands. They list the state testing scores for everyone, so Mr Schuh, investigate a little further and give us a complete report. Other than that look who everyone is talking about again. HHS and Beechwood. To borrow a line for another poster

 

Just sayin!

 

When I read the story I assumed the info was available due to HHS being a public school and , thus, the non-mention of CCH.

There are a lot of discrepancies in that article and its too bad all the facts aren't there. I know 1st hand that the FTEF will now have to work double time to convince the money givers that their money will go to the school and not the Football program just because some beat writer used his plateau to express his disdain. Yes disdain. I said it! Like someone else said, show me some of the numbers of other big football schools and I bet they are like HHS...
This was really just a very poorly executed attempt at a smear campaign by this "reporter" and the Kentucky Enquirer. I was really saddened to see that plastered story on the front page, like some kind of Watergate style expose'. Definitely not the Kentucky Enquirer's finest hour. They really should be focusing on stories that support our schools and young athletes.
  • Author

I guess because I do not live in the Fort I didnt read anything sinister into the story. I think the "story" was the amount of money being spent. I didnt sense an agenda. I posted it because of the impressive level of support shown by the community.

Did I read correctly, the school football budget spent around $100,000 and then the boosters also spent close to $100,000?

  • Author

Read it again to see if I missed an agenda. Nothing there.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.