Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Story on Highlands Boosters

Featured Replies

Highlands is in an unique situation in the scoreboard (JumBIRDtron) case.

 

It just so happens that the new Big Screen tv for the Capstone Communication program keeps the score and time of a game.

They displayed and utilized this very educational tool last nite, awesome interaction of the student/athletes imo.

The skits of the football players during the game was priceless, the commercials, etc are all created by the Communications program which are HHS students having lots of fun and gaining valuable hands on experience at the expense of our wonderful and generous community.

 

Expect to see more and more interaction on the JumBIRDtron. The opportunities and expansions are endless and I can assure you that the Communications program will take full advantage of this great educational tool.

 

Heck, I even see this thing burning at all hours of the school day as this is what it is for, a great big outdoor computer big screen.

Nothing more and nothing less.

 

BooHoo for anyone who thinks Highlands has an unfair advantage....Just sayin

 

My daughter was editor of the year book and wants to go into television behind the scenes. She would have loved to have the opportunity to work on some of the technology that these kids get to use.

  • Replies 103
  • Views 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is even more interesting now about this whole thread and Story is how the table has turned and a certain person is defending his story. LOL

 

What comes around goes around...Just sayin:thumb:

I think you were trying to read more into the story. Everyone knows that winning only comes from the play on the field. The article stated that it is harder to raise money when a team is losing. It would be the same at Highlands. I am positive that the amounts raised would be less.

I don't begrudge Highlands' success on the football field. I salute the people of Fort Thomas for finding a formula to sustain their metaphor for community success. However, another factor obviously is that because Fort Thomas is an affluent community, this allows the young people (and their parents) to focus on the gridiron from pee-wee through 12th grade knowing that distractions have been minimized. So in that sense, I would take issue with your statement that "winning only comes from the play on the field." It's more than that.

"Conspiracy guy?" That's a good one. My comments come from the fact that it is my job to get information from schools. I have a lot of experience in this arena, so you're just gonna have to trust me that I know what I'm talking about. I've done dozens of FOIA requests over the years, often for the most mundane of things that left me wondering, "Why wouldn't they just give this to me and save us all a lot of trouble?"

 

Unless I misunderstand the rules -- and I don't think I do -- any booster organization that supports a public school, the money is ultimately overseen by the school district in question. And because those organizations are in support of a public school, their records are subject to FOIA, and anyone can access them. Often, but not always, information such as that is not willingly provided to the general public without a FOIA request.

I think the rules may have changed on this. My wife was treasurer for our football booster's for a few years. When she started all of the money was turned over to the school and the school would cut a check for what ever the boosters were going to spend the money on. By the last year she did it the booster club wrote their own checks and there was no involvement from the school. I don't know if there was a rule change or that the new principal at the time didn't want to mess with booster money, but after he arrived the school was out of the loop of having anything to do with the booster money. That was 3-4 years ago and it could have changed back.
I think you were trying to read more into the story. Everyone knows that winning only comes from the play on the field. The article stated that it is harder to raise money when a team is losing. It would be the same at Highlands. I am positive that the amounts raised would be less.
That's just it. It wasn't that I was reading something into it. It was that I could see others (like the haters) reading A LOT into it.

BooHoo for anyone who thinks Highlands has an unfair advantage....Just sayin

I'm glad somebody gets where I was coming from. :cool:
Highlands is in an unique situation in the scoreboard (JumBIRDtron) case.

 

It just so happens that the new Big Screen tv for the Capstone Communication program keeps the score and time of a game.

They displayed and utilized this very educational tool last nite, awesome interaction of the student/athletes imo.

The skits of the football players during the game was priceless, the commercials, etc are all created by the Communications program which are HHS students having lots of fun and gaining valuable hands on experience at the expense of our wonderful and generous community.

 

Expect to see more and more interaction on the JumBIRDtron. The opportunities and expansions are endless and I can assure you that the Communications program will take full advantage of this great educational tool.

 

Heck, I even see this thing burning at all hours of the school day as this is what it is for, a great big outdoor computer big screen.

Nothing more and nothing less.

 

BooHoo for anyone who thinks Highlands has an unfair advantage....Just sayin

I think the fact that the kids are doing the production work for the videos and running the board are great...That is what education is all about...schools need to find more ways to get kids involved in things of this sort outside of athletics, because everyone doesn't hit the genetic lottery for athletics. I would love to have a video production program at our school and be able to use the JumboTron as an educational tool and an additional fund raiser for the school.
I think the rules may have changed on this. My wife was treasurer for our football booster's for a few years. When she started all of the money was turned over to the school and the school would cut a check for what ever the boosters were going to spend the money on. By the last year she did it the booster club wrote their own checks and there was no involvement from the school. I don't know if there was a rule change or that the new principal at the time didn't want to mess with booster money, but after he arrived the school was out of the loop of having anything to do with the booster money. That was 3-4 years ago and it could have changed back.

There are two legal ways to organize a boosters club in Kentucky: 1. it can be part of the school and the school has a separate account for that boosters club and all money is handled by the school. 2. the boosters club can be a separate entity with it's own accounts, bylaws, and accounting activities. The school has no involvement other then all monies the boosters club raises and spends on it's sport must be reported to the school for Title 9 reporting.

Highlands is in an unique situation in the scoreboard (JumBIRDtron) case.

 

BooHoo for anyone who thinks Highlands has an unfair advantage....Just sayin

 

It's much easier for people to whine and cry about what the community does to support HHS than it is for them to work to get it what they want. I'm surprised people from other districts haven't sued to try to get "their fair share" of what the HHS programs get. Did I use the right buzzwords?

Plus, I just found out that my FTEF packet did not come in the mail this week. Guess Iam not allowed on the field this yr.

 

Got my Sideline Club packet though, that makes me happy:thumb:

 

How do we join?

I didn't think it was an attack on HHS either. You guys need to lighten up. Just because Clyde posted it, his allegiance doesn't necessarily constitute an attack. BGP has made some of you HHS guys a little on the EXPLOSIVE side.

Highlands is in an unique situation in the scoreboard (JumBIRDtron) case.

 

It just so happens that the new Big Screen tv for the Capstone Communication program keeps the score and time of a game.

They displayed and utilized this very educational tool last nite, awesome interaction of the student/athletes imo.

The skits of the football players during the game was priceless, the commercials, etc are all created by the Communications program which are HHS students having lots of fun and gaining valuable hands on experience at the expense of our wonderful and generous community.

 

Expect to see more and more interaction on the JumBIRDtron. The opportunities and expansions are endless and I can assure you that the Communications program will take full advantage of this great educational tool.

 

Heck, I even see this thing burning at all hours of the school day as this is what it is for, a great big outdoor computer big screen.

Nothing more and nothing less.

 

BooHoo for anyone who thinks Highlands has an unfair advantage....Just sayin

 

I do think that Beechwood and Highlands have an "advantage", but it is an advantage that they have created for themselves. So I doubt you can call it "unfair". It may be the reality of economics, but it is what it is. I really didn't see anyone crying BooHoo. I think you are confusing the Envy with Jealousy. I don't.

 

As for the FTEF paying for the Scoreboard. You can justify almost anything legally and I do see a benefit to the the students of highlands with the new Scoreboard. Like OSD said, it's just not a good idea to create any sort of appearance of something wrong. You should keep a very clear line between Education and Athletic Funds.

 

I'm also not sure what the 100,000 per year discussion does to the Title 9 requirements. I know I have heard about Beechwood struggling to maintain this balance and there are State Title 9 investigators that show up at schools regularly looking for the data to prove that a school is compliant. My guess is that this article is going to have the investigators at Beechwood and Highlands asking questions.

I didn't think it was an attack on HHS either. You guys need to lighten up. Just because Clyde posted it, his allegiance doesn't necessarily constitute an attack. BGP has made some of you HHS guys a little on the EXPLOSIVE side.
No, history has.

As for the FTEF paying for the Scoreboard. You can justify almost anything legally and I do see a benefit to the the students of highlands with the new Scoreboard. Like OSD said, it's just not a good idea to create any sort of appearance of something wrong. You should keep a very clear line between Education and Athletic Funds.

 

I'm also not sure what the 100,000 per year discussion does to the Title 9 requirements. I know I have heard about Beechwood struggling to maintain this balance and there are State Title 9 investigators that show up at schools regularly looking for the data to prove that a school is compliant. My guess is that this article is going to have the investigators at Beechwood and Highlands asking questions.

Now do you all get why I had a problem with the way that article might be perceived?
Now do you all get why I had a problem with the way that article might be perceived?

 

Yes, but the perception is not something you or the writer of the article can control. Well, except for not mixing the money in the first place. Unfortunately, he posted facts without a detailed explanation. Did anyone give him the explanation? Is he obligated to explain it.

 

I still believe that the article was written from a postivie viewpoint. Maybe I'm wrong. I also don't know of anyone that took it the way you and some other HHS fans are thinking they are. Everyone I talked to had postive comments.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.