March 17, 201313 yr Whose fault was it they didn't have a point guard? Marquis Teague and a terrible group of Freshman PGs in college hoops.
March 17, 201313 yr Author Whose fault was it they didn't have a point guard? Marquis Teague and a terrible group of Freshman PGs in college hoops. Exactly.
March 17, 201313 yr I think Cal believed that at some point these kids would get it just like previous teams. It just never happened. Yes, he could have done more. He should have played more zone D with this team. He should have tweaked the offense, done more inside out to get open 3's. It seems to me this team did not shoot enough 3's. Maybe that is more perception than reality. I would have liked to see Wiltjer more in the low post. Hindsight is 20/20. True, the guards - both Harrow and Goodwin - never figured out how to run an offense. But everyone, including Cal, shares blame for this year. The good news is it will be over in another game or two and we all get to start anew next year.
March 17, 201313 yr I think there are many coaches in the country who could have done more with this roster than Cal and his staff did this year----just don't ask me to name them. Name one. Coach K hasn't had a few bad seasons recently? Pitino? Self? Roy Williams? The talent on this team was overrated. To say Cal hasn't earned the right to be considered as one of the elite coaches in the country is biased at best and insane at worst. Outside of Coach K, Cal's resume is as good as any coach you could mention.
March 18, 201313 yr Whose fault was it they didn't have a point guard? Cal wasn't able to recruit one this year, so it's on Cal. Harrow failed to live up to expectations, that's on Harrow. Cal does no wrong. Cal does what Cal does. 2009-10 Freshman Starters: Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe. Coaching: Cal = Elite 8. 2010-11 Freshman Starters: Knight, Jones, Lamb. Coaching: Cal = Final Four. 2011-12 Freshman Starters: Teague, Kidd-Gilchrist, Davis. Coaching: Cal = National Championship 2012-13 Freshman Starters: Noel/Cauley-Stein, Poythress, Goodwin. Coaching: Cal = Missed the Tournament. Variable: Freshman Starters. Constant: Coaching == Cal. I don't particularly care for his system, but I accept it and understand what it entails. Therefore, I'm not disappointed when a season like this occurs. It's all part and parcel to what you get with Cal. Bad classes are going to happen. However, I have faith that he will have more good classes than bad and produce more championship runs than tournament misses. If you can't accept the way he operates, then your going to be disappointed every now and then. Can't help you with that, I'm afraid.
March 18, 201313 yr Name one. Coach K hasn't had a few bad seasons recently? Pitino? Self? Roy Williams? The talent on this team was overrated. To say Cal hasn't earned the right to be considered as one of the elite coaches in the country is biased at best and insane at worst. Outside of Coach K, Cal's resume is as good as any coach you could mention. Aren't these two very conflicting statements?? So which is it "Insane to believe Cal is on of the elite coaches" or "Other than Coach K, Cal's resume is as good as any coach you could mention"?? Very confused??
March 18, 201313 yr Cal wasn't able to recruit one this year, so it's on Cal. Harrow failed to live up to expectations, that's on Harrow. Cal does what Cal does. 2009-10 Freshman Starters: Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe. Coaching: Cal = Elite 8. 2010-11 Freshman Starters: Knight, Jones, Lamb. Coaching: Cal = Final Four. 2011-12 Freshman Starters: Teague, Kidd-Gilchrist, Davis. Coaching: Cal = National Championship 2012-13 Freshman Starters: Noel/Cauley-Stein, Poythress, Goodwin. Coaching: Cal = Missed the Tournament. Variable: Freshman Starters. Constant: Coaching == Cal. I don't particularly care for his system, but I accept it and understand what it entails. Therefore, I'm not disappointed when a season like this occurs. It's all part and parcel to what you get with Cal. Bad classes are going to happen. However, I have faith that he will have more good classes than bad and produce more championship runs than tournament misses. If you can't accept the way he operates, then your going to be disappointed every now and then. Can't help you with that, I'm afraid. Who were the seniors on '10, '11 and '12?
March 18, 201313 yr Cal wasn't able to recruit one this year, so it's on Cal. Harrow failed to live up to expectations, that's on Harrow. Cal does what Cal does. 2009-10 Freshman Starters: Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe. Coaching: Cal = Elite 8. 2010-11 Freshman Starters: Knight, Jones, Lamb. Coaching: Cal = Final Four. 2011-12 Freshman Starters: Teague, Kidd-Gilchrist, Davis. Coaching: Cal = National Championship 2012-13 Freshman Starters: Noel/Cauley-Stein, Poythress, Goodwin. Coaching: Cal = Missed the Tournament. Variable: Freshman Starters. Constant: Coaching == Cal. I don't particularly care for his system, but I accept it and understand what it entails. Therefore, I'm not disappointed when a season like this occurs. It's all part and parcel to what you get with Cal. Bad classes are going to happen. However, I have faith that he will have more good classes than bad and produce more championship runs than tournament misses. If you can't accept the way he operates, then your going to be disappointed every now and then. Can't help you with that, I'm afraid. In Calipari's defense, and IMO he needs no defense less than a year from cutting down the nets; we need to look back and remember he inherited a mess from Billy G. He needed a quick talent influx and went out and got them fortunately for KY. While I'm sure he would prefer (and is on record saying) not to have all one & done's year in year out; he also is going after the elite talent and they are prone to being O & D's until the rule changes. Looking back I think you can make a case where many of these kids weren't expected to be O & D's starting with Bledsoe, who I think everyone thought would mentor under Wall for a year and then take over the PG duties the following year. Teague is another who many thought would return, and left the Cats in a bit of a quandary when he departed. Look back through Cal's rosters in his four years, and you'll see several who weren't expected to be O & D's; but for circumstances that offered them immediate opportunities to play for $$'s, they left early. Many will turn out to have not done themselves any favors in terms of long term NBA careers, and may have been better served to stay and worked on their games; but its an instant gratification world out there; and tough to turn down the guarantees of instant $$. This team was always one key injury from being average, and unfortunately it happened to their best player. Bottom line--Noel stays healthy, we're not having this conversation and the Cats are comfortably in the tourney. Doubtful they would have gone far, but ALL programs don't make the Sweet Sixteen and beyond every year. If you're not happy, four years removed from a disaster, with an Elite Eight, Final Four & a National Championship; then I'll say you're not a true fan
March 18, 201313 yr Aren't these two very conflicting statements?? So which is it "Insane to believe Cal is on of the elite coaches" or "Other than Coach K, Cal's resume is as good as any coach you could mention"?? Very confused?? Do you have comprehension problems? Read what I said again. In one sentence you mentioned, I say Cal has earned the right to be called one of the elite coaches in the country. In the next I said his resume is as good as anyone's other than Coach K's. Similar agreeing points, not sure what is so hard to understand.
March 18, 201313 yr Cal does what Cal does, I agree. For the most part I have no problem with his system. I would say that the reasons for the lack of success this year is that one, our undoubtedly best player got hurt. Two, no elite pg. Harrow was good even great at times, but never really seemed to understand the way Cal's system works. That is the bread and butter of the DD offense. Next, I would say the class overall was down this year. When you have freshmen heavy teams this can impact a team greatly. Finally, Cal's inability to get this roster to mesh I think may have been the dagger. I'm not saying they aren't "friends", or hate eachother. Just they never really seemed like they knew eachother on the court. Last year's team had that inate ability to just know how, and where their teamates were playing. Bottom line UK didn't get it done, we move on to NIT and wait for next year.
March 18, 201313 yr Cal does what Cal does, I agree. For the most part I have no problem with his system. I would say that the reasons for the lack of success this year is that one, our undoubtedly best player got hurt. Two, no elite pg. Harrow was good even great at times, but never really seemed to understand the way Cal's system works. That is the bread and butter of the DD offense. Next, I would say the class overall was down this year. When you have freshmen heavy teams this can impact a team greatly. Finally, Cal's inability to get this roster to mesh I think may have been the dagger. I'm not saying they aren't "friends", or hate eachother. Just they never really seemed like they knew eachother on the court. Last year's team had that inate ability to just know how, and where their teamates were playing. Bottom line UK didn't get it done, we move on to NIT and wait for next year. This is the first time that Cal had about ZERO returning minutes. That makes a huge difference with everything. There was nobody to step up, settle the team, or push buttons. The senior this year was one of the biggest cry babies that UK has ever had. Harrow was mentally made of glass. You take those two to mentor 2 All Americans w/ an extremely low basketball IQ, you get what you get. Cal's philosophy, and in my opinion it is one of necessity, will give fans a year here/ a year there like this one. It will also lead to exciting runs in the tournament.
March 18, 201313 yr In all honesty, with only the addition of Marquis Teague UK would have easily been in the tournament. 6 or 7 seed.
March 18, 201313 yr And really Mays could not be counted on to lead through Cal's system since he had never played in it before either.....
March 18, 201313 yr The only guy that was going to get the minutes and at least practiced for a year under Cal was Harrow and well........he is an excellent player against bad teams.
March 19, 201313 yr After watching the Harrow post game video for the 136th time I just want to say that I hope he comes back to UK next year. I need more of these post game interviews in my life.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.