Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Highlands 52 Boyle County 31

Featured Replies

I'm stunned to hear that some think HHS needs to play the junior at QB.

 

McCoy is a GREAT weapon. Passing is solid. Running skill is outstanding. Great athlete. I hope that talk ends quickly.

 

When I read that, I went back and reread the thread. Did I miss something or is this just talk from the endzone you were standing in? I don't know of anyone that is closely associated with the program that thinks this. McCoy is a Great weapon as you said. Yeah, he is no Pat Towles when it comes to throwing, but anyone that doubts his talents, just go back and review last years Elder tape. Kid's a player and will lead this years team to another State Championship IMO!

  • Replies 120
  • Views 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Highlands won't win state IMO.

 

Didn't you say the same thing last year? If not you, it was someone else down in "Titletown". Don't worry Highlands will be fine and remember that the path to the 4A state finals runs through NKY...See you soon!!!

Didn't you say the same thing last year? If not you, it was someone else down in "Titletown". Don't worry Highlands will be fine and remember that the path to the 4A state finals runs through NKY...See you soon!!!

 

Probably. I'll always say exactly how I feel. I do remember saying Highlands wasn't as good as I thought they would be last year. I have been proven wrong before and likely will be proven wrong again. When I am wrong I admit it. No big deal in the grand scheme of things. I think Lexington Catholic is the team to beat and Highlands pedigree or tradition isn't going to change that opinion until Highlands, Boyle County or Covington Catholic beats Lexington Catholic.

Highlands won't win state IMO.

 

 

Who would you like to see win state if Boyle doesn't ? Anybody but Highlands?

Who would you like to see win state if Boyle doesn't ? Anybody but Highlands?

 

I really like Kyle Bolin a lot. I really latched on to him when he came into the playoff game against Boyle County and almost engineered a miraculous comeback when he was a sophomore. I have enjoyed watching him grow on the field and if Boyle County can't win state I'll be rooting for Lexington Catholic. Any kid that can make me publicly root for Lexington Catholic is doing something. :lol:

 

I guess that's kind of what you guys feel for Patrick Towles. To be able to watch a kid grow and do tremendous things on the field is a treat. I am grateful to have watched Kyle Bolin these times I have seen him play. I'll probably be rooting for UL when he takes over.

 

 

After LexCath I'd be fine if Highlands or CovCath won it. I want one of the Big Four to win state if Boyle County can't.

Highlands won't win state IMO.

 

You are entitled to your opinion, but last year in week 0 and then again against the blue boys part 1, I thought I could identify ways that a team could beat the birds, but halftime and in season adjustments had HHS in a different gear. It is not how you start but did you get better. I have seen it happen every season with personal growth. We play another quality team this week and should be a great game. I suspect it will be Boyle or Lex Cath later and we we have our own battle with the rejuvenated Cov Cath squad and one Blake Bir. Kyle Bolin is also very impressive. I really like his game.

You are entitled to your opinion, but last year in week 0 and then again against the blue boys part 1, I thought I could identify ways that a team could beat the birds, but halftime and in season adjustments had HHS in a different gear. It is not how you start but did you get better. I have seen it happen every season with personal growth. We play another quality team this week and should be a great game. I suspect it will be Boyle or Lex Cath later and we we have our own battle with the rejuvenated Cov Cath squad and one Blake Bir. Kyle Bolin is also very impressive. I really like his game.

 

Last year I felt we were doing whatever we could to stay in the game.

 

This year I felt we let the game get away from us and when it got away it got away big time. I was discouraged after the Highlands game last year. This year I am encouraged. That is why my feelings are the way they are this year. That and I am 99% sure LexCath is even better from last year.

Birds will likely get to see Bolin down the road and Bir twice this year so the DB's better step up their game. I was not very impressed with the coverage against Boyle Co. If Boyle's QB puts it on the numbers a couple times they score and if the slot back doesnt drop that ball down the seam they score as well. Seemed like there was some confusion a couple times as I saw Schutte and Murray having words trying to work out the issues.

Birds will likely get to see Bolin down the road and Bir twice this year so the DB's better step up their game. I was not very impressed with the coverage against Boyle Co. If Boyle's QB puts it on the numbers a couple times they score and if the slot back doesnt drop that ball down the seam they score as well. Seemed like there was some confusion a couple times as I saw Schutte and Murray having words trying to work out the issues.

 

I think that that had more to do with the difficulty the D had w/ the run and the secondary being concious of that. They left their assignments a couple of times, and were beaten a couple other. I think that they'll be fine once the defensive front finds itself.

You are entitled to your opinion, but last year in week 0 and then again against the blue boys part 1, I thought I could identify ways that a team could beat the birds, but halftime and in season adjustments had HHS in a different gear. It is not how you start but did you get better. I have seen it happen every season with personal growth. We play another quality team this week and should be a great game. I suspect it will be Boyle or Lex Cath later and we we have our own battle with the rejuvenated Cov Cath squad and one Blake Bir. Kyle Bolin is also very impressive. I really like his game.

 

Since we went to a two platoon system (in 09) with heavy rotation within the 2 platoons, Highlands hasn't started near as strongly as we used to. It used to be we were in mid season form at the first game. While we improved some, the percentage of improvement wasn't real big. Now, we come out of the gate much slower. I've talked to several non-Highlands coaches about it and they agree with me that the two platoon system forces Highlands to place a lot more inexperience on the field at the beginning of the season; much more than they did before they went to the two platoon system. Take the 09 season for example. Without the two platoon system, in the first game, you have Roller starting at LB and at TE; you have Buten starting at WR and at Corner; you have Schlosser starting at OG and either starting or getting significant reps on the DL. Same with Grubbs. Combs may have played some LB in addition to starting at Center. Dierig may have started at OG, as well as played Dline if Grubbs and Schlosser had played some DL too. Point is, that had we not two platooned in 09, you'd have have senior players with game experience at multiple positions in the first game. that helps coming out of the gate big time.

 

But with a two platoon system, you have a lot of inexperience at the beginning of the season. You are having more juniors and sophomores either starting or being rotated in. You have a lot of experimenting with kids to see who are the best players. As the season goes on, the coaches figure out who are the best of the 6 or 7 d linemen or who are the best of the LBers being looked at early in the season. As the season develops, those players selected gain experience. They get a huge amount of coaching as they are only practicing one position on one side of the ball.

 

These days, Highlands at the end of the season is a completely different animal than it is at the beginning of the season.

 

Plus, as you pointed out, the coaches figure out the strengths and weakness of those ultimately selected to start, and they make adjustments. Regular season game against CovCath last year and CovCath ran the ball down our throats the entire game much like Boyle did in the first half. 4 weeks later Elder had limited success running the ball against us; 7 weeks later Johnson Central had little success running the ball against us; 8 weeks later a CovCath team that had ran through us like Swiss Cheese in the regular season, had extremely little success running the ball.

 

PP92 may be right about Highlands not winning state. But I've watched Highlands as close as any one over the years. I've seen Highlands improve dramatically during the course of the year since we went to the two platoon system. I'm not betting against them, that is for certain.

Who would you like to see win state if Boyle doesn't ? Anybody but Highlands?

 

Yes

Who would you like to see win state if Boyle doesn't ? Anybody but Highlands?

 

That's a popular pick and there's nothing wrong with it. I take it as the ultimate compliment. I hope the rest of the state spends many more years being sick and tired of HHS winning state championships.

Leatherneck, your thoughts are at the heart of a question that I was pondering. Does Highlands have 22 "Great players"? Or, do they "Develop 22 great players". My thoughts was, Highlands probably has 11 players ready to play, but instead of starting those 11 both ways, they take a little more time and develop the others so that they can platoon. Would you say that is a fair assumption?

Leatherneck, your thoughts are at the heart of a question that I was pondering. Does Highlands have 22 "Great players"? Or, do they "Develop 22 great players". My thoughts was, Highlands probably has 11 players ready to play, but instead of starting those 11 both ways, they take a little more time and develop the others so that they can platoon. Would you say that is a fair assumption?

 

I definitely won't answer for LN, but if there's a program anywhere in the country that does a better job than Highlands of developing the players it has, I'm unaware of it. To watch the growth these kids make during their four years at HHS is unbelievable. You simply cannot overstate this point.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.