Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Murder of Beechwood grad in Boone County

Featured Replies

It also shows how bad his attorney was at picking a Jury panel.

 

Very good possibility.

  • Replies 160
  • Views 30k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dateline was at my work Monday, they are doing a story on this case.

  • Author
Dateline was at my work Monday, they are doing a story on this case.

 

I can't wait to see the report.

 

It also seems like a case the Innocence Project would want to explore.

This case should make anyone and everyone very alarmed. I am very interested to see how this plays out.

Dateline interview airs tonight.

Dooley was sentenced to life in prison.

 

And 5 years for tampering with evidence.

I have the show DVR'd but haven't watched yet. However, my wife watched and from what she told me I am more inclined to believe he did it now. I had no clue about all of the circumstantial evidence they had and stories that didn't add up. I think there was motive as well.

 

There may have been some hostility there between them since they were in the same building, we don't know but I think she came in early and found him in her office. To beat someone to death over that is mindboggling.

  • Author

I watched the show, first let me say it was fascinating. NBC crushed it. Linda Tally Smith looked really strong and I thought the Boone County Sheriff's Department looked incredible. My thinking watching the show was I feel really safe knowing I have those "guys" and "gals" protecting me. Also, the victim's family is so sweet, good, as wholesome as it gets.

 

From watching the hour show I would say Dooley is probably guilty and I probably would have convicted but again that was based on 40 minutes or so of compelling television.

 

I wish the show would have went more into the following:

 

1. I want to know a lot more about the time cards, the allegation of "triple dipping" and how this part of the puzzle fits together. Linda said her theory is theft of time cards was the motive for murder. The theory was put forth but it wasn't backed up with anything of substance on the report. Furthermore, Chris Roach, one of the defense attorneys said something to the effect of they didn't present any evidence at trial about the time cards. Linda presented the theory in her closing argument which didn't give the defense a chance to rebut it. In my opinion the report very lightly questioned if that theory presented at closing was proper. I am not an attorney but it didn't seem fair to me, at least not how it was presented. Furthermore on the time cards, from watching the show it was theory. Were time cards missing? Did the available time cards show some type of theft by Dooley? Aren't there payment records/invoices beyond the time cards that would either prove or disprove the time card theft theory? If so, why didn't the prosecution present the incriminating evidence? Frankly, it got to one of the most important parts of the case and it was vague. That is normally a huge red flag. Add to that to the way the evidence was presented (at the end with no chance for the defense to defend it) and it left me questioning the theory. I am not saying anyone on the prosecution did anything wrong, I am saying the show did not even come close to adequately explaining the rather weak motive in full detail and I think more time should have been committed to it.

 

2. I would like to know more about the DNA evidence or lack of it. They talked about some unknown samples but were really vague on that too. What kind of unknown samples? Samples from normal contact with normal people in life or samples that would indicate they were part of a crime? Since there were no matches on the DNA the show really didn't explore this in depth. I am not saying anything is wrong here I am saying there is evidence that is unexplained (DNA with no match meaning it didn't match Dooley either) and the show didn't do a good enough job of explaining why that wasn't a big deal.

 

3. I would like to know how the jury convicted on the Tampering with evidence charge? I guess they used 100% circumstantial evidence here.

 

4. Is Dooley a criminal mastermind? Again the prosecutions theory is Dooley was breaking into the victim's office to steal time cards in an attempt to cover up a theft and the victim came to work early thus surprising Dooley. This caused Dooley to attack and kill the victim. In other words, the theft of time cards was planned but not the murder and if that is the case how did Dooley completely cover up any physical evidence that would have linked him to the murder when it was unplanned? I realize anything is possible but since Dooley was able to cover it all up, it is scary to think what a successful serial killer Dooley would be if he committed his murders anywhere but a closed system (meaning in a warehouse with a finite number of suspects). In other words, Dooley was so good he may have never been caught if he was killing people in random places.

 

5. I didn't feel the defense was given enough time on the report. However, I wasn't particularly impressed with the two defense attorneys. They were okay but in my opinion their spin was there is reasonable doubt here more than their client is innocent. After being involved in the case for so long and having the time after the trial to pick apart the prosecution theory the defense attorneys did a poor job contradicting the prosecution. In other words, the defense attorneys should have hit a couple of balls out of the park blowing up the prosecution and I don't feel they accomplished that.

 

6. I wish the report would have explored the victim more because I think it could have made the prosecutions theory stronger. The report said Mockbee would always win the contests she entered. That means she is really smart, calculating, and private. She may share with everyone after the fact but she had to be really good to continually win the prize in these contests. Moving forward, if Dooley was altering time cards would Mockbee have investigated this independently? Would anyone else in the company know about the investigation into the time cards or would Mockbee keep that secret so the investigation wasn't compromised? Did Dooley somehow find out? If so, how? And if Dooley did find out, as smart as he has to be to have covered everything up, was it really worth murdering someone over?

 

With all that said, it seems nearly impossible that Dooley was able to cover everything up but at the same time it seems impossible for anyone but Dooley to be Michelle Mockbee's murderer. This was a process of elimination and the Sheriff's Department and the Prosecution was able to eliminate everyone but Dooley.

 

And make no mistake everyone, Dooley did lots of things bad guys do, he left the scene of the crime, his story wasn't always consistent, he refused to take a polygraph, he didn't testify at trial, he has some meaningful criminal history, and who knows what else.

 

Anyone?

To add to Guru's thoughts on the case. I don't believe Dioley was some sort of genius. I actually think he was quite stupid.

What I wanted to know is, if Dooley claims he ripped his pants or that his wife saw the ripped pants then why didn't the detectives ask for them? Why didn't they get them and do dba testing in them.

 

It it is pretty clear to me that when Dooley left that morning it was to dispose of all the evidence he had so that pretty much ties it all together for me.

 

It it also answered the question which I stated last month about the husband couldn't have done it because the video showed her driving into the lot.

 

Like Guru said, there just wasn't enough questions answered for me but enough that I would have found him guilty.

I just watched the show. I was wondering the following things.

 

1. If he was the janitor he probably had keys to all the offices. Why did he need to break into hers?

 

2. He was seen leaving the parking lot 1/2 hour after she arrived. Was that enough time to kill her and so completely clean up the murder scene to the point that there was not one single piece of evidence?

 

I am not saying he didn't do it, but it doesn't seem like there is enough evidence to prove he did.

I just watched the show. I was wondering the following things.

 

1. If he was the janitor he probably had keys to all the offices. Why did he need to break into hers?

 

2. He was seen leaving the parking lot 1/2 hour after she arrived. Was that enough time to kill her and so completely clean up the murder scene to the point that there was not one single piece of evidence?

 

I am not saying he didn't do it, but it doesn't seem like there is enough evidence to prove he did.

Why wouldn't it be enough time to clean up the evidence? If he killed her with a tape gun, all he had to do was take that with him along with his clothes and leave. It wasn't as if he tried to clean up the scene etc. All he had to do was take the weapon he used and himself out of there and change clothes and get back.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.