March 28, 201214 yr Author As to the theory that it's bad for college, I would disagree. We're still using 1948 era logic in an era when huge generation-helping $$ are available in a JOB. Many think the main purpose of college is to help you get a JOB in an industry of your choice and that fits your skills. College basketball is doing that today. If anyone is to blame it's the NBA. Silly argument IMO and one that lacks thought. I couldn't agree more, but people use it and I think that's where the "poor reflection" of Cal's model comes into play. Many like to use the argument then back it up with the "but, I'm old school" line...
March 28, 201214 yr You mean decades SINCE getting caught, right? You asked, I answered. Exaggerated or not, Kentucky already has the reputation. True or not, Kentucky has the reputation. Bringing in a guy who's had two Final Four appearances vacated did nothing to dispel those thoughts.
March 28, 201214 yr Surely by now everyone know about Cal's vacated Final Fours and how he had nothing to do with them being vacated...
March 28, 201214 yr This guy acts like Cal is ruining the game of basketball and in a few years no one will be watching. You can blame the NBA for the 1 and done rule. Cal is just simply taking advantage of it.Yahtzee! When the 3 pt shot came along in the 1980's some coaches adapted to it quicker than others. Cal is simply ahead of his colleagues.
March 28, 201214 yr Yahtzee! When the 3 pt shot came along in the 1980's some coaches adapted to it quicker than others. Cal is simply ahead of his colleagues. Right or wrong, IMO I think this is one of the reasons Denny Crum did not have any Final Four teams after 1986. 3 point shot came in during the 1986-87 season and he probably was in the camp of coaches who thought it was going to go by the wayside and eventually leave the game, but never happened.
March 28, 201214 yr The author misses the main point. Calipari has created, molded, whatever, a team that is one of the most unselfish ever. There are not going to be many teams like this one, in terms of make up. They may implode on Saturday, but for the season, they have been the epitome of "All for one, one for all." This team should be the standard bearer for what NCAA basketball is about, not what is threatening to destroy the establishment. Heck, they even look the part. Well groomed, well behaved, and dominant.
March 28, 201214 yr You asked, I answered. Exaggerated or not, Kentucky already has the reputation. True or not, Kentucky has the reputation. Bringing in a guy who's had two Final Four appearances vacated did nothing to dispel those thoughts. Was he the reason they were vacated or were his players? We have compliance offices now for a reason. Coaches can't be expected to investigate and baby sit every player they recruit, they just don't have the resources to do it all themselves but the system has improved so that they don't have to do it all on their own now.
March 28, 201214 yr Was he the reason they were vacated or were his players? We have compliance offices now for a reason. Coaches can't be expected to investigate and baby sit every player they recruit, they just don't have the resources to do it all themselves but the system has improved so that they don't have to do it all on their own now. I didn't say anything at all about what happened. The perception, however, is very much real. As one of my teachers in high school used to say: "The only real difference between perception and reality is that perception is stronger." Does it matter that it was Camby's fault or Rose's fault and not Calipari's? Of course it does, in terms of legality, punishment, etc. But the perception remains that he was ultimately the one in charge at both of the schools he led to Final Fours prior to coming to UK and they are no longer hanging their banners.
March 28, 201214 yr This guy acts like Cal is ruining the game of basketball and in a few years no one will be watching. You can blame the NBA for the 1 and done rule. Cal is just simply taking advantage of it. Excellent point...
March 28, 201214 yr Yahtzee! When the 3 pt shot came along in the 1980's some coaches adapted to it quicker than others. Cal is simply ahead of his colleagues. Is he really ahead of his colleagues? You don't think every coach at every major basketball program was recruiting or would have recruited (if they thought they had a chance) Davis, Teague, MKG, whilst knowing those players were likely ones and dones? I have to believe that Calipari isn't the only coach that has recruited the ones and dones. Did the likes of NC, Duke, Kansas, etc. not recruit those kids? I don't follow college basketball recruiting very carefully, so maybe I'm mistaken on that point. Am I? If I'm not wrong, then the author is wrong in thinking that if UK wins the championship the other big time programs are going to start doing the same as UK. If I'm not wrong, the author will have ignored the obvious fact that those big time programs have been recruiting the best available talent out there, even if that meant they were one and dones. Calipari will just have done a better job of recruiting more of them. Heck, the article makes it seem as if it's only UK that gets one and dones. I don't follow the game closely, but I sure want to recall that other programs have had one and dones over the last several years. Is my old age memory wrong on this point?
March 28, 201214 yr ^If I recall correctly, MKG was pretty much assumed going to Cal as early as his freshman year. Teague was recruited hard by Pitino and Cronin, don't recall who all was in on Davis.
March 28, 201214 yr Surely by now everyone know about Cal's vacated Final Fours and how he had nothing to do with them being vacated... The man in charge has everything to do with them being vacated. That's how things are perceived anyway. Not saying it's right, just that's the way things are.
March 28, 201214 yr If the stars Cal recruited weren't playing for UK, they'd be somewhere else and UK would just have to beat them.
March 29, 201214 yr ^If I recall correctly, MKG was pretty much assumed going to Cal as early as his freshman year. Teague was recruited hard by Pitino and Cronin, don't recall who all was in on Davis. I saw a story one time where a major D-1 Athletic Director had told his head basketball coach that if any money was spent recruiting Gilchrist, that he would be fired. I believe the article was about Worldwide Wes, but the only two schools I can ever recall being attached with MKG were UK & Villanova. But it was basically a foregone conclusion that he would land wherever Cal was. I thought Davis was heavily recruited (after he grew) by a lot of people, but I was thinking the serious contenders were Illinois & Ohio State.
March 29, 201214 yr I saw a story one time where a major D-1 Athletic Director had told his head basketball coach that if any money was spent recruiting Gilchrist, that he would be fired. I believe the article was about Worldwide Wes, but the only two schools I can ever recall being attached with MKG were UK & Villanova. But it was basically a foregone conclusion that he would land wherever Cal was. I thought Davis was heavily recruited (after he grew) by a lot of people, but I was thinking the serious contenders were Illinois & Ohio State. I just read about Davis' recruiting. I do remember him saying he liked Ohio State a lot.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.