Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky's Death March

Featured Replies

I just read about Davis' recruiting. I do remember him saying he liked Ohio State a lot.

 

If I remember right, the Chicago Sun Times story (the one about the alleged $200,000) reported that UK "outbid" Ohio State & Illinois.

  • Replies 49
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just read about Davis' recruiting. I do remember him saying he liked Ohio State a lot.

 

If I remember right, the Chicago Sun Times story (the one about the alleged $200,000) reported that UK "outbid" Ohio State & Illinois.

 

Thinking Davis may have ended up at OSU if Sullinger hadn't came back for another season. Simply speculation and we will never know, but we do know Sullinger came back and Davis didn't end up there.

Thinking Davis may have ended up at OSU if Sullinger hadn't came back for another season. Simply speculation and we will never know, but we do know Sullinger came back and Davis didn't end up there.

 

Assuming OSU got to $201,000. Right?

Just curious--If Calipari is the ONLY culprit of the "one & done phenomenon", as often portrayed in the media, and has all these inside connections; why doesn't UK get EVERY top recruit?? Why does he ever leave Lexington, if every "NBA Can't Miss Prospect" is coming his way regardless?

 

Didn't someone else recruit these kids, or am I missing something? Weren't other schools in the running for Wall, Cousins, Davis, MKG, Jones, etc?? Were they just pretending to be interested, and certainly wouldn't have taken any of these kids should they have selected their Universities?? :confused::confused:

Whatever happened with Duke and that whole Corey Maggette fiasco anyway? Are they still under investigation, cause I never heard of any sort of punishment whatsoever.

Whatever happened with Duke and that whole Corey Maggette fiasco anyway? Are they still under investigation, cause I never heard of any sort of punishment whatsoever.

 

Pretty sure the NCAA said Duke was clear of that.

Decades of getting caught. At this point, lots of people are certain it will happen again and a certain percentage of them can't wait to jump all over them for it.

 

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only major violations on the basketball program that I'm aware of is the early 1950s point shaving by the players (not the coaches or the school) and the 1989 $1000/Emery package (which assistant coach Casey still denies;some think it was a setup). That's two violations in over 60 years.

You make it sound like UK has been constantly in trouble with the NCAA. That's a myth.

^ I've said it more than once already in this thread. There's reality and then there's perception. The perception that UK is often in trouble with the NCAA is very much real, even if the facts don't necessarily back it up. You even acknowledge it yourself when you say "That's a myth." For it to be a myth, people have to be acknowledging it and telling the story that way.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only major violations on the basketball program that I'm aware of is the early 1950s point shaving by the players (not the coaches or the school) and the 1989 $1000/Emery package (which assistant coach Casey still denies;some think it was a setup). That's two violations in over 60 years.

You make it sound like UK has been constantly in trouble with the NCAA. That's a myth.

 

A myth perpetuated by a lot of stories of payoffs that I've heard or overheard (both money and horses), but they are just that, stories, no proof, no corroboration. Not to mention several books which state some payoffs as facts that you don't see anywhere else but the books they are written in.

A myth perpetuated by a lot of stories of payoffs that I've heard or overheard (both money and horses), but they are just that, stories, no proof, no corroboration. Not to mention several books which state some payoffs as facts that you don't see anywhere else but the books they are written in.

 

What major programs don't have the same myths? For most big schools you hear about the myths and many times truths (see Ohio State football) with their football teams. At Kentucky the same thing happens, only in regards to basketball.

 

I am a big beleiver in perception = reality though. However, Kentucky gets this rep in bball because most schools don't care as much about their bball program.

What major programs don't have the same myths? For most big schools you hear about the myths and many times truths (see Ohio State football) with their football teams. At Kentucky the same thing happens, only in regards to basketball.

 

I am a big beleiver in perception = reality though. However, Kentucky gets this rep in bball because most schools don't care as much about their bball program.

 

Agreed, except for a Dan Wetzel article I read back in 2008 about Bob Knight. When Wetzel asked Sonny Vaccaro how many of the big-time, great college basketball coaches are or were really, truly clean? Vaccaro spent some time thinking and his response was ""I guess three coaches, maybe four, I'm not 100 percent sure about one guy and even among that group, Knight stands alone, stands above. I've never heard a single thing about him, never heard anything. Nothing. He's the cleanest one." "You know, that's incredible. Really, that's the greatest thing you can say about him."

 

And to that, even as a former IU fan, I have heard of one instance, not of a payoff, but of an incident which may or may not have occured. Again, no proof, just hearsay.

Agreed, except for a Dan Wetzel article I read back in 2008 about Bob Knight. When Wetzel asked Sonny Vaccaro how many of the big-time, great college basketball coaches are or were really, truly clean? Vaccaro spent some time thinking and his response was ""I guess three coaches, maybe four, I'm not 100 percent sure about one guy and even among that group, Knight stands alone, stands above. I've never heard a single thing about him, never heard anything. Nothing. He's the cleanest one." "You know, that's incredible. Really, that's the greatest thing you can say about him."

 

And to that, even as a former IU fan, I have heard of one instance, not of a payoff, but of an incident which may or may not have occured. Again, no proof, just hearsay.

 

True...but their program has still had an incident since Knight...so knock them off the list. But, I see the point you're making.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only major violations on the basketball program that I'm aware of is the early 1950s point shaving by the players (not the coaches or the school) and the 1989 $1000/Emery package (which assistant coach Casey still denies;some think it was a setup). That's two violations in over 60 years.

You make it sound like UK has been constantly in trouble with the NCAA. That's a myth.

 

 

 

Kentucky lost 2 schollys a year for two years in '78 and '79 over some improper recruit stuff on a visit.

Here are some schools that have been cited for Major NCAA Infractions in Men's Basketball since Kentucky's last in 1989.

 

ACC: GT, FSU, WF, Clemson, Maryland, NCSU

Big 12: OU (x2), KU, Baylor (x2), Mizzou (x2), TT, TAMU

Big East: UConn, SJU, Villanova, Rutger, UC, UofL (x2), DePaul, Pitt, Syracuse

Big 10: IU, tOSU (x2), Michigan, Minnesota (x2), Purdue, Illinois

Pac 12: Cal (x2), Arizona, USC, Utah, Washington, UCLA

SEC: UT, Bama (x2), UGA, Auburn (x2), Arkansas (x2), LSU, South Carolina, Florida

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.