Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky's Death March

Featured Replies

  • Replies 49
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loses credibility here:

 

Right now, there are always two foolproof arguments against the Calipari ideal — it reflects badly on the university, and it breaks down in moments that matter most. No one is going to emulate a program with a bad reputation if the end result is the same as doing things the way they've always been done.

 

It does NOT reflect badly on the school.

UK does NOT have a bad reputation.

  • Author
Loses credibility here:

 

Right now, there are always two foolproof arguments against the Calipari ideal — it reflects badly on the university, and it breaks down in moments that matter most. No one is going to emulate a program with a bad reputation if the end result is the same as doing things the way they've always been done.

 

It does NOT reflect badly on the school.

UK does NOT have a bad reputation.

...we sure that's the case outside of our blue bubble?
...we sure that's the case outside of our blue bubble?

 

Fair question.

 

WHY would it reflect poorly on the school?

WHY does UK have a bad reputation?

Fair question.

 

WHY does UK have a bad reputation?

 

Decades of getting caught. At this point, lots of people are certain it will happen again and a certain percentage of them can't wait to jump all over them for it.

  • Author
Fair question.

 

WHY would it reflect poorly on the school?

WHY does UK have a bad reputation?

I don't necessarily agree with this logic but:

 

1. It goes against the "ideal" of college. Somehow Cal is exploiting the system. It's ALL about winning with no regards to the "character of players" see Cousins, Demarcus.

2. I think UK hasn't really ever lost the bad boy reputation from it's probation days. Cal's national reputation is pretty poor plus with two final fours vacated it doesn't help UK's overall reputation.

I don't necessarily agree with this logic but:

 

1. It goes against the "ideal" of college. Somehow Cal is exploiting the system. It's ALL about winning with no regards to the "character of players" see Cousins, Demarcus.

2. I think UK hasn't really ever lost the bad boy reputation from it's probation days. Cal's national reputation is pretty poor plus with two final fours vacated it doesn't help UK's overall reputation.

 

I think that the second part has legitimacy. Whenever I hear someone bring up the first I try to roll my eyes so hard that they can hear it. Does the 19 rule serve to protect NBA owners from poor choices with no regard for its impact on the college game? Sure, but that's FAR from the only thing jeopardizing their ideal of amateurism in big-time college basketball.

Decades of getting caught.

 

You mean decades SINCE getting caught, right?

  • Author
I think that the second part has legitimacy. Whenever I hear someone bring up the first I try to roll my eyes so hard that they can hear it.
Like I said, I don't agree with it. But I think many people attempt to use it...
I think that the second part has legitimacy. Whenever I hear someone bring up the first I try to roll my eyes so hard that they can hear it. Does the 19 rule serve to protect NBA owners from poor choices with no regard for its impact on the college game? Sure, but that's FAR from the only thing jeopardizing their ideal of amateurism in big-time college basketball.

 

Fair enough.

  • Author
I think that the second part has legitimacy. Whenever I hear someone bring up the first I try to roll my eyes so hard that they can hear it. Does the 19 rule serve to protect NBA owners from poor choices with no regard for its impact on the college game? Sure, but that's FAR from the only thing jeopardizing their ideal of amateurism in big-time college basketball.
What did they get caught doing in the '00's or the '90's?

Love this:

 

What makes him different, I suspect, is that he cares about "young people" more than he cares about The Game Of Basketball. And that's a deceptively complex perspective.

As to the theory that it's bad for college, I would disagree. We're still using 1948 era logic in an era when huge generation-helping $$ are available in a JOB. Many think the main purpose of college is to help you get a JOB in an industry of your choice and that fits your skills. College basketball is doing that today. If anyone is to blame it's the NBA.

 

Silly argument IMO and one that lacks thought.

  • Author
Love this:

 

What makes him different, I suspect, is that he cares about "young people" more than he cares about The Game Of Basketball. And that's a deceptively complex perspective.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a non-UK fan touch on that.

This guy acts like Cal is ruining the game of basketball and in a few years no one will be watching. You can blame the NBA for the 1 and done rule. Cal is just simply taking advantage of it.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.