BGP Severe Weather Alert Day for Sunday (6/23/19)Threat Level Increase

nWo

The severe weather threat has increased some for portions of western Kentucky. A category 2 Slight Risk Area was issued by the Storm Prediction Center for a section of western Kentucky. This section is from Owensboro eastward to between Leitchfield and Elizabethtown down to around Lewisburg back westward to Hopkinsville and Paducah. The rest of Kentucky is in a category 1 Marginal Risk Area.

KY_swody1.png

In western Kentucky, the potential exists for a line of strong to severe thunderstorms to move across this region today. Mainly from late this morning through the afternoon. High wind gusts, hail and heavy rainfall are also possible. Another round of more numerous thunderstorms is expected tonight. Heavy rainfall is the primary concern with these storms. Strong gusty winds could also accompany the storms tonight.

Wind Threat

day1probotlk_1200_wind.gif

Hail Threat

day1probotlk_1200_hail.gif

For the rest of the state. Periods of thunderstorms will again occur later today. Isolated areas could receive heavy amounts of rainfall. When combined with saturated soils from the rains of the past week, runoff will occur with any brief heavy rain. It won't be a complete washout today. Everyone needs to be weather aware later today. While widespread severe weather is not expected a storm could be strong to severe.

The following HRRR Ohio Valley radar is from 4 to 10 pm EDT.

32-nodither.gif

I will try to update everyone later this morning.

The threat level has increased for later today. The Storm Prediction Center now has parts of Kentucky from around the I-65 corridor back westward in a category 2 Slight Risk Area for strong to severe storms later today. East of that a category 1 Marginal Risk Area exists all the way to portions of eastern Kentucky.

KY_swody1.png

Severe thunderstorms will be possible later today. The best chance to see these storms look to be in western Kentucky. Scattered storms could produce damaging winds, hail. The tornado threat has increased since this morning. Due to this increase, I'm issuing a Level 1 BGP Tornado Index for parts of Kentucky west of I-65.

day1probotlk_1300_torn.gif

BGP Tornado Threat Index

tornado threat index.jpg

Damaging Winds

day1probotlk_1300_wind.gif

Hail

day1probotlk_1300_hail.gif

The following HRRR Ohio Valley Radar is from 5 pm EDT Sunday to 1 am EDT Monday morning.

32-nodither.gif

Be weather aware especially in the western parts of Kentucky later today. I will update when I can after church today.

Thanks for the updates, do you see any stretches of dry weather in our near future.

Once we get passed Monday evening or Early Tuesday morning we should see a couple of day of dry weather. There is a chance of light showers on Wednesday evening though.

You be safe. I know my phone has been going crazy concerning western Kentucky.

All is safe here. I was about 2-3 miles from home and it hit. Winds were throwing my vehicle all over the road. The tornado started not far from where we drove through.