Why Ward over Chubb at #4 (Browns)?

There is a lot of criticism for this pick by the Browns. GM Ken Dorsey and DC Gregg Williams address this question on the Ken Carmen Show 92.3 FM The Fan and ESPN's Peter King.

I didn't have a problem with the pick because Cleveland has two good pass rushers--Garrett and Ogbah. Ogbah is not well-known yet, but Cleveland believes he is going to be really good, even Chubb-like.

Ward is the best cover-corner in the draft and has great speed--something Cleveland's secondary was missing. The secondary couldn't cover receivers long enough for the pass rush to get to the QB. Upgrading the secondary, like Cleveland did in the off-season and now in the draft, will allow Garrett and Ogbah more time to get to the QB. I've seen comments about how a good pass rusher makes a secondary better. It is also true that a good secondary gives a pass rusher more time to get to the QB. The longer it takes the receiver to get open, the more likely the pass rush will be to disrupt the QB. This is what Cleveland needed.

They had Chubb and Ward graded equally on their board. They picked Ward because he met the greater need for Cleveland's defense.

Go to this ink to read Dorsey's comments:

Browns' John Dorsey reveals he had Bradley Chubb and Denzel Ward ranked equally | cleveland.com

Ward is a shut-down corner. If you stop a teams best receiver, you go along way in helping your defense win the battle. Cleveland already has two pass rushers. I have no problem with the pick.

Even if you disagree with Dorsey, how much value do you think was lost by going with Ward verses Chubb?

There is a lot of criticism for this pick by the Browns. GM Ken Dorsey and DC Gregg Williams address this question on the Ken Carmen Show 92.3 FM The Fan and ESPN's Peter King.

I didn't have a problem with the pick because Cleveland has two good pass rushers--Garrett and Ogbah. Ogbah is not well-known yet, but Cleveland believes he is going to be really good, even Chubb-like.

Ward is the best cover-corner in the draft and has great speed--something Cleveland's secondary was missing. The secondary couldn't cover receivers long enough for the pass rush to get to the QB. Upgrading the secondary, like Cleveland did in the off-season and now in the draft, will allow Garrett and Ogbah more time to get to the QB. I've seen comments about how a good pass rusher makes a secondary better. It is also true that a good secondary gives a pass rusher more time to get to the QB. The longer it takes the receiver to get open, the more likely the pass rush will be to disrupt the QB. This is what Cleveland needed.

They had Chubb and Ward graded equally on their board. They picked Ward because he met the greater need for Cleveland's defense.

Go to this ink to read Dorsey's comments:

Browns' John Dorsey reveals he had Bradley Chubb and Denzel Ward ranked equally | cleveland.com

Ward is a shut-down corner. If you stop a teams best receiver, you go along way in helping your defense win the battle. Cleveland already has two pass rushers. I have no problem with the pick.

Even if you disagree with Dorsey, how much value do you think was lost by going with Ward verses Chubb?

I'm on board with the philosophy of "Get your guy". Have no problem with them taking Ward over Chubb.

The pick didn't surprise me. What surprised me was they didn't drop down a few spaces and get a couple of extra picks. I thought for sure they were going to trade with Buffalo for the 12 and 22. Then get Ward and Sony Michel.

They must have felt pretty strongly that Ward would not be there at 12, and if he is your guy - you go get him.

I'm on board with the philosophy of "Get your guy". Have no problem with them taking Ward over Chubb.

The pick didn't surprise me. What surprised me was they didn't drop down a few spaces and get a couple of extra picks. I thought for sure they were going to trade with Buffalo for the 12 and 22. Then get Ward and Sony Michel.

They must have felt pretty strongly that Ward would not be there at 12, and if he is your guy - you go get him.

In addition to the reasons you cite, Peter King of SI said four teams called the Browns to trade up to #4. Only one offered a 1st round pick in 2019. As King commented, surprising since there were 2 top QBs left. The one team that offered a #1 said he was coming up for one player and one player only... Baker Mayfield. Dorsey knew that wasn't happening. They didn't have many offers to trade down.

Cleveland Browns keep Baker Mayfield secret for draft | SI.com

In addition to the reasons you cite, Peter King of SI said four teams called the Browns to trade up to #4. Only one offered a 1st round pick in 2019. As King commented, surprising since there were 2 top QBs left. The one team that offered a #1 said he was coming up for one player and one player only... Baker Mayfield. Dorsey knew that wasn't happening. They didn't have many offers to trade down.

Cleveland Browns keep Baker Mayfield secret for draft | SI.com

Thanks, wasn't sure what all went down.