Water pump leak

Big Slick

It only works if the issue is gasket material.

90% of the time a water pump leak is cracked housing, so 1 in 10 chance. But for $5 - $10 take a chance. I've had good luck with Bar's for radiators.

Water pump is typically a fairly cheap repair at a good mom & pop service place.

Just had one replaced on my Tahoe for $152. That's pump, labor, and coolant.

Typically bars leak and the others end up being a temporary fix that also will clog up and ruin your radiator. I gave bars leak a try once and it stopped the water pump on my jeep from leaking, however within a few months I needed a new radiator as well as a water pump. It clogged the radiator to the point that it built up so much pressure that it blew a golf ball size hole out the side of it.

Typically bars leak and the others end up being a temporary fix that also will clog up and ruin your radiator. I gave bars leak a try once and it stopped the water pump on my jeep from leaking, however within a few months I needed a new radiator as well as a water pump. It clogged the radiator to the point that it built up so much pressure that it blew a golf ball size hole out the side of it.

Actually that is not typical.

Releaking is typical.

The new stuff won't clog your radiator.

Older stuff actually reccomended that you drain and replace your coolant after leak stops.

Personally I would still replace the coolant.

Actually that is not typical.

Releaking is typical.

The new stuff won't clog your radiator.

Older stuff actually reccomended that you drain and replace your coolant after leak stops.

Personally I would still replace the coolant.

It's been 10+ years since the one time I tried it, so it may be improved these days. I do remember after the radiator busting the mechanic showed me the sludge that was in it prior to replacing it. I was told that it was a common problem with using stuff like bars leak. But again, that was a long time ago, maybe it's not an issue now.

• 2 weeks later...
I know it probably depends on size of the leak, but how far coukd the at be driven to a mechanic? What would be a good way to test or know it's too bad to keep driving?

Just keep adding water watch the temperature if it gets hot pull over let it cool down and add more water.