Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Water pump leak

Featured Replies

Old work has a water pump leak, has anyone ever tried the stop leak in the bottle sold at auto part stores? If so did it work and what brand do you recommend?

It only works if the issue is gasket material.

 

90% of the time a water pump leak is cracked housing, so 1 in 10 chance. But for $5 - $10 take a chance. I've had good luck with Bar's for radiators.

 

Water pump is typically a fairly cheap repair at a good mom & pop service place.

 

Just had one replaced on my Tahoe for $152. That's pump, labor, and coolant.

  • Author

I was told in those older Toyotas it behind the timing mechanism and it ain't an easy job?

Typically bars leak and the others end up being a temporary fix that also will clog up and ruin your radiator. I gave bars leak a try once and it stopped the water pump on my jeep from leaking, however within a few months I needed a new radiator as well as a water pump. It clogged the radiator to the point that it built up so much pressure that it blew a golf ball size hole out the side of it.

Typically bars leak and the others end up being a temporary fix that also will clog up and ruin your radiator. I gave bars leak a try once and it stopped the water pump on my jeep from leaking, however within a few months I needed a new radiator as well as a water pump. It clogged the radiator to the point that it built up so much pressure that it blew a golf ball size hole out the side of it.

 

Actually that is not typical.

 

Releaking is typical.

 

The new stuff won't clog your radiator.

 

Older stuff actually reccomended that you drain and replace your coolant after leak stops.

 

Personally I would still replace the coolant.

Actually that is not typical.

 

Releaking is typical.

 

The new stuff won't clog your radiator.

 

Older stuff actually reccomended that you drain and replace your coolant after leak stops.

 

Personally I would still replace the coolant.

 

It's been 10+ years since the one time I tried it, so it may be improved these days. I do remember after the radiator busting the mechanic showed me the sludge that was in it prior to replacing it. I was told that it was a common problem with using stuff like bars leak. But again, that was a long time ago, maybe it's not an issue now.

  • Author

Gas oil and fluids are the only things I can do mechanically.

Gas oil and fluids are the only things I can do mechanically.

 

Separated at birth.

  • Author

I know it probably depends on size of the leak, but how far coukd the at be driven to a mechanic? What would be a good way to test or know it's too bad to keep driving?

I know it probably depends on size of the leak, but how far coukd the at be driven to a mechanic? What would be a good way to test or know it's too bad to keep driving?

 

Just keep adding water watch the temperature if it gets hot pull over let it cool down and add more water.

I just had one go bad myself this week. I've got the new pump going to repair it tomorrow

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.