Inside the 13th Region (12/10/17)

Les

1. Knox Central (5-0 overall, 0-0 vs. 13th Region competition)

The Panthers are coming off a top-notch effort in the WYMT Mountain Classic. They defeated Wolfe County, Knott central and Floyd Central to capture the program’s first WYMT Mountain Classic championship. Knox Central dominated all three games it played during the WYMT Mountain Classic, winning by an average of 26.6 points.

People need to start paying attention to the play of senior guard Markelle Turner. Turner averaged 22.6 points per game during Knox Central’s three wins this past week. He also scored 24 points in the title game to win MVP honors.

2. Corbin (3-1, 1-0)

The Redhounds suffered their first loss after dropping a 77-48 decision on the road to Lexington Catholic. Corbin responded in a big way, though, knocking off East Jessamine, 99-77.

Andrew Taylor continues to put up huge numbers. He led the Redhounds with 42 points and 15 rebounds during Saturday’s win over the Jaguars. Taylor now has 2,860 points on the season and he recorded his 1,000th career rebound against East Jessamine.

3. South Laurel (4-0, 1-0)

The Cardinals picked up two big wins this past week by defeating Whitley County and Highlands by double digits. Junior JJ Ramey continues to shine, leading the team with a 19.7 scoring average and a 4.3 rebounding average. South Laurel will be tested in a big 50th District battle with Corbin.

4. North Laurel (4-0, 0-0)

The Jaguars are another team that’s been a surprise. North Laurel remains unbeaten after defeating both Madison Southern and Johnson Central this past week. Brian Gray continues his consistent play while leading the team with a 20.1-point scoring average. Senior center Albert Oster (17.7 scoring average, 12.7 rebounding average) poured in a career high 31 points and 23 rebounds against Madison Southern.

5. Harlan County (5-0, 2-0)

The Black Bears have struggled at times this season, but they’re currently unbeaten at 5-0 after picking uo wins over Bell County, Middlesboro and Estill County this past week.

6. Clay County (3-3, 1-0)

The young Tigers are like most teams that are young and inexperienced — at times they look great, and then at times, they don’t. Clay County posted a 1-2 record int he WYMT Mountain Classic with a win over Perry Central while dropping back-to-back games to Floyd Central and Knott Central. Big man Ryan Rogers continues to average a double-double for Clay County with a 16-point scoring average and a 10.7 rebound average.

7. Lynn Camp (5-0, 4-0)

This is coach Dinky Phipps’ best team at Lynn Camp. The Wildcats can score with the best of them, averaging a 13th Region-best 84 points per game. Senior Tanner Boggs is averaging close to 30 points per game, and could easily end up being one of the best scorers int he 13th Region this season.

8. Jackson County (5-1, 2-0)

The Generals have quietly y put together an impressive five-game win streak since opening the season with a 65-59 loss to Russell County. Tanner Harris has turned in an impressive season so far by averaging 20.2 points and 9.2 rebounds per game.

9. Williamsburg (3-1, 2-1)

Coach Nick Napier is doing a fantastic job during his first year as the Yellow Jackets’ coach. Williamsburg hung tough before losing to Lynn Camp 89-78, but the Yellow Jackets responded with an 8—68 win over Barbourville the following day. Slaht Hunter has been a super star for Williamsburg early on, averaging a team-best 25.8 points per game.

10. Bell County (3-2, 1-1)

The Bobcats are much-improved under new coach Frankie Smith. Bell County has won two games in a row, including a 65-61 road victory against Harlan.

11. Whitley County (2-2, 0-2)

The injury bug has hit the Colonels once again. Leading scorer Corey Johnson has been out since his ankle injury to South Laurel last week. Once Johnson and Blake Brown can get back into the line-up Whitley County will be dangerous.

12. Barbourville (1-4, 0-1)

The Tigers aren’t a bad team, they’ve just struggle;ed at times finding the basket on offense. Once coach Derek Collins rights the ship at Barbourville, the Tigers will be fine.

13. Middlesboro (2-3, 2-3)

Coach Lewis Morris is working his magic with the Yellow Jackets. Middlesboro has picked up two big wins this peek by defeating Harlan on the road and Red Bird.

14. Harlan (0-4, 0-3)

Coach Derrick Akal’s Green Dragons can’t seem to catch a break so far this season. They’re still searching for their first win after dropping two close district games at home to both Middlesboro and Bell County.

15. Oneida Baptist (2-3, 2-3)

The Mountaineers picked up a huge 81-71 win over Whitley County this past week, but then dropped an 87-47 decision to Lynn Camp. Yes, the Colonels were without leading scorer Corey Johnson in the 81-71 loss, but it’s still a good win for Oneida Baptist.

16. Red Bird (2-4, 1-4)

The Cardinals reach the 16-spot after defeating Pineville this past week.

17. Pineville (2-3, 1-2)

It’s going to be a long season for the Mountain Lions. They dropped a 61-45 decision to Red Bird, but answered two days later with a 67-56 win over Owsley County.

I think Andrew Taylor for Corbin carries the ball more than anybody in the state but he gets away with it. He's bad for walking too. He will move both feet before he puts a dribble down. But I love watching them both play. They both are two of the top guards in the state. I wonder who is after Turner? He could be the highest recruited guard from the 13th region right now.

I think Andrew Taylor for Corbin carries the ball more than anybody in the state but he gets away with it. He's bad for walking too. He will move both feet before he puts a dribble down. But I love watching them both play. They both are two of the top guards in the state. I wonder who is after Turner? He could be the highest recruited guard from the 13th region right now.

I've been watching Andrew play since about 8th grade...never appeared to me that he carries the ball and travels a lot. The kid can ball. I don't know much about the Turner kid but if he is as good as Andrew it would be a good idea to sit back and enjoy watching both of them play