Anderson (OH) 2 Covington Catholic 1

High level game, two good teams, entertaining to watch. Anderson gets the game winner with about 11 minutes left when a seldom-used sophomore checks in, throws it all the way to the front post, it gets headed to the back post, and it gets buried.

The Anderson CB's are terrific. A sophomore from CUP Gold and a big kid who just committed to Xavier.

Anderson does something that I wish more teams did. They emphasize off season strength training like a college team. I have seen a couple of their players grow physically stronger and significantly more athletic over the course of time between October preseason tourneys to March preseason tourneys. I don't get why other schools are hesitant to do that.

I agree, strength training for HS soccer teams would be a plus and believe in the years to come this will become more common place. La Salle is another OH soccer team to have a strength program. Are more schools not doing this due to space and time constraints on their facilities, is football getting priority? College soccer teams did none or very little strength training years ago, today it has become the norm, HS is sure to follow, especially given more and more HS players are one sport athletes.

Simple answer there. Resources, especially for public schools. As you imagine football programs get the priority in weight rooms, which are probably not big enough to cater to multiple programs very easily. Plus then you are asking coaches to basically make a full-time year round commitment and many of them coach club. Tough to do. Way different from college.

Simple answer there. Resources, especially for public schools. As you imagine football programs get the priority in weight rooms, which are probably not big enough to cater to multiple programs very easily. Plus then you are asking coaches to basically make a full-time year round commitment and many of them coach club. Tough to do. Way different from college.

Yet...Anderson makes it work? Most high school football offseason workouts don't start officially until after the 1st of the year. Guys may lift, but for most, it isn't organized. On top of that, you can be flexible. It only takes 3 days/week to properly strength train. Most guys are getting some sort of agility/speed work in with their clubs.

I agree' date=' strength training for HS soccer teams would be a plus and believe in the years to come this will become more common place. La Salle is another OH soccer team to have a strength program. Are more schools not doing this due to space and time constraints on their facilities, is football getting priority? College soccer teams did none or very little strength training years ago, today it has become the norm, HS is sure to follow, especially given more and more HS players are one sport athletes.[/quote']

It would be ideal for them to have some sort of yoga as well, BUT...that is asking so much of their time and resources. Yoga instructors aren't cheap and that is an 1 1/2 during a week that is already packed tight w/ homework, practice, and work if they have to do that in the off season.

Yet...Anderson makes it work? Most high school football offseason workouts don't start officially until after the 1st of the year. Guys may lift, but for most, it isn't organized. On top of that, you can be flexible. It only takes 3 days/week to properly strength train. Most guys are getting some sort of agility/speed work in with their clubs.

I don't know anything about how Anderson operates, and good for them for having the time, resources, and commitment to make it work. I am simply speaking in generalities about other public high schools I am familiar with. I'm sure every high school program would like to run like a collegiate program, but that's just not feasible for so many different reasons.

I have seen post on social media sites showing a variety of HS basketball teams, both private and public working out at as a team at public, for charge facilities. To name a few Cooper, CCH, Dixie HS boys basketball. If these players are being forced to pay for these services out of pocket or the school (i.e. the tax payers for the public school teams) is picking up the cost when the school has their own facility but is unable to accommodate these teams due to lack of space, etc due to prioritizing for football, something is very, very wrong.

I don't know anything about how Anderson operates, and good for them for having the time, resources, and commitment to make it work. I am simply speaking in generalities about other public high schools I am familiar with. I'm sure every high school program would like to run like a collegiate program, but that's just not feasible for so many different reasons.

All it takes is a coach willing to invest his time.

I have seen post on social media sites showing a variety of HS basketball teams' date=' both private and public working out at as a team at public, for charge facilities. To name a few Cooper, CCH, Dixie HS boys basketball. If these players are being forced to pay for these services out of pocket or the school (i.e. the tax payers for the public school teams) is picking up the cost when the school has their own facility but is unable to accommodate these teams due to lack of space, etc due to prioritizing for football, something is very, very wrong.[/quote']

I highly doubt that that is it. I have seen Coopers football team at Griffin Elite as well. The only time conflicts should be at 6am if multiple teams want to use a facility for supervised workouts at that time. Even then, you only need 3 good days of strength training. There shouldn't be enough time for prioritization. This comes down purely to points of emphasis. Anderson emphasizes it and other programs roll it out as a purely volunteer option.

Anderson is known in Cincinnati for their size, strength, and fitness. No doubt it is their offseason program that has allowed this to happen. If you follow their twitter they even lift in season and do Yoga. Programs can only be as successful as their commitment level. Anderson has great commitment from their kids, but it starts with their coach.