North-Eastern Kentucky Outlook

Ram

What is the outlook for NEKY this season? Can Johnson Central be strong again? Anymore horses in that barn? On paper Ashland seems to have some challenges this season. They lost quite a few key players. They do have some upcoming players. But, can they fill the holes immediately?

Raceland is posed to be a true contender in 1A, and should beat most everyone on their schedule and make a long run in the playoffs. The upcoming junior class has been watched and waited for for several years. Can Fairview compete this season? They have some players returning that could provide a good spark for them.

Is Russell going to be back on track this season. They have had issues over the last three years. Can they right the ship and be ready for local competition? Who will be the go to guys there?

Can Boyd County, Greenup County, East Carter, West Carter, and Lawrence County fix what's wrong? Big schools, but not much success over the recent years.

Well, Ram.........

Ashland is Ashland and will be fine.

Johnson Central has young talent and as you just mentioned above, winning is contagious.

Raceland has a lot of expectations from the past couple of years of playing young talent.

Fairview lost a lot but still has good talent returning.

Boyd County appeared to be a team on the rise at the end of last year.

East Carter has almost everyone returning along with a good young second year head coach.

I don't know much about the remaining schools and what they return but I am excited to see how this year plays out.

Ashland, unless I'm mistaken, returns virtually all of the O-line and D-line. And while they lose several skill positions, one position I expect no decline is the QB position. Without sounding disrespectful, I think Ashland would have been better off starting the Elam kid under center and utilizing Hunter in another skill position this past season. Would have added another athlete on the field. But that's why I don't coach for a living.:D

And there's gonna be some changes at Russell no doubt. You hear the annual "Ivan may retire" rumors, and one of these years it's gonna be true. And Russell will have a new student in a couple of weeks who's arguably the best in the area at his position and he will change them to some degree.

Doc, spin, that is. I normally agree with you on a lot of things, but I don't think it would have been in Ashland's best interest to put Elam at QB and move Hunter, not even close. Now, I would have had Elam on the field in anther position. I don't think Elam is even close to being as good a QB as Hunter. Better athlete, maybe, better QB, no.

Ashland does return quite a few linemen, I think one graduated.