Everything posted by ThrowItDeep
-
What schools will see a change in class in the next realignment?
Although there will no doubt be "leaked" versions... I'd say March/April time period we will see the rough draft. Finalized before summer.
-
What schools will see a change in class in the next realignment?
Obviously too early to speculate... but will there be any schools that will change in class due to enrollment increase/decrease? There were some very good teams that were on the border last time.
-
How about a little John Tong?
Goal by Farmer.... A three point goal by Richie Farmer... his 4th.. three point goal...
-
How about a little John Tong?
"Steps called"
-
High School Football in Kentucky - Playoff Structure
Definitely would not want the 11th game to be against a team they had already played. I would think everyone would know by around Fall Break what their situation at their school is. Coaches would be working their contacts and getting that game agreed upon during the season. It could allow two schools in close proximity to play. Or maybe they have a rivalry but couldn't work out playing during the regular season. But I really think schools that are not the #1 seed or #2 seed should be able to say "I want an 11th game or I don't want an 11th game". Each school is different and would have different opinions of why they would want to or not want to play.
-
High School Football in Kentucky - Playoff Structure
Thought I would throw my two cents in on the playoff structure.... This isn't a shot at KHSAA by any means. I consider Julian a good friend and he wants the best interest of football in our state. I really believe that. Not saying their hands are tied, but in a way they are... I coached for 12 years as head coach at Edmonson County from 2004-2015. I'm just an AD now, but I still want high school football in our state to be the best it can be. Traditionally, our school hasn't had tremendous success in the playoffs. Before the move to six classes, our school had only won 6 playoff wins (all coming in a 3 year stretch 96-97-98). There were just a handful of years where we made the playoffs. Since the move to 6 classes, we've won 5 playoff games). When the talk of going to six classes was talked about, it gave schools like ours a "false" hope. It was "big" for schools like ours to MAKE the playoffs back then. So the thought of a greater possibility of making the playoffs was very, very enticing. In 2007, we even made "Playoff T-shirts" :no:... We did win a playoff game that year (infamous same district match-ups), but still... I wouldn't make shirts for it now unless I was at a place that never has made it and was building... After 10 years in the 6 class system, schools like ours have seen ups and downs. We had a good playoff run in 2008, had a 10-0 year in 2011, hosted a few playoff games, won a few playoff games, had a couple years that we didn't make the playoffs. In the last few playoff trips, I can honestly say those experiences have not helped make our football program any better. After going 11-1 in 2011, we went 3-7 in 2012 and missed the playoffs (thank goodness)... We struggled through 2013 & 2014 record wise (4-6, 4-6) but still made the playoffs. We were defeated as the #3 seed both years pretty convincingly. In 2015, our team had a winning record (6-4) for the first time since 2011. We were happy with our kids efforts. But the reward was to travel to #2 seed Paducah Tilghman and get running clocked. Granted we did battle them for a little while (down 28-3 at the half). I've had many other coaching friends in similar situations as us, who told me (and I didn't agree with them then) that they wished they could have just ended the year. One school had their first winning record in over decade. They got in as #4 seed and got running clocked in the first half... He said it just killed any momentum they had going into the off-season. That doesn't help football as a whole. I don't even know if it really helps the teams that win (other than adds one more win to their win column)... maybe a boost of confidence for them. But I can tell you that it totally demoralizes a team to get beat like some teams these past two weeks have been beat. I know.. I know... we should have worked harder. Well, I wished you could have been around to see our kids work. They worked HARD. Our coaches coached HARD. It didn't matter how many parallel sqauts, power cleans, plyometrics, and glute ham raises we did or how many fudge rounds and chocolate milks I gave our line... I just couldn't get my skill guys to be faster than theirs or our linemen to grow like theirs...lol Football is unlike other sports. In basketball, you can hold the ball (no shot clock). Can't do that in football. In basketball, you can spread the floor and if you get in trouble, you can call a timeout. Can't do that in football. I know every other sport lets everybody in. But football never was about that. That was one of the things I always loved about it. Now, we can have 0-10 teams travel 3+ hours to get beat 50 points in the first half. Geez, we've got #3 seeds getting beat that way!!! I don't know what the best answer is, but there HAS TO BE A BETTER ANSWER than what we've got going. The same teams will be successful regardless of how many classes you have. If you want to pick the 6 state champions, you can do that with a list of about 15 schools in the entire state (that number may be too high). Some of me hates this. It's like taking every competitive bone out of my body. I loved competing & still do. But, there is a reason that the NFL, Division I college football, etc. don't let EVERYBODY in (I know there a few high schools teams that don't)... This isn't all about exciting games in the first round or about blowouts... That's part of it. It should be about what's best for football in our state, not just at OUR school. I can't speak for all rural schools, but there are many locally that believe the current structure is killing their football program. Maybe it's because of who they HAVE TO PLAY. Their kids know going into the season. The best we can be is a 3 seed or a 4 seed... Can we get rid of districts? Allow everyone to make their own schedule. Play who your school needs to play. Let each school make the choice of declaring if they want to play in the playoffs before week 10. Can we have a playoff ranking system? Could rank the declared teams by a formula made public before scheduling begins... Can we take the top two teams in each district and then let everybody else play an 11th game as a "bowl" game? Shortens the football season a week. Can either push football back a week out of the heat or end a week earlier. Win-win. Any combination of any of these. There are many good suggestions that I've read on here before. I don't know what it would look like but I can tell you from my standpoint, it would look MUCH better than Edmonson County vs. Paducah Tilghman.
-
Are the KHSAA football playoffs...
Yeah, unfortunately we were unlucky enough to catch them for our 1st round home playoff game...
-
Are the KHSAA football playoffs...
Paducah Tilghman in 2009 was a 3 seed.
-
Highlands' Coach Brian Weinrich refuses to exchange film with South Oldham?
I think this is the first year that they have made it available. Use to be only on the login side of it. Makes it MUCH easier for media, broadcast, announcer, etc. to obtain a roster...
-
Highlands' Coach Brian Weinrich refuses to exchange film with South Oldham?
Scroll down to page 3 and 4. This first roster is in alphabetical. The second one is numerical... http://khsaa.org/roster_view/roster_pdf.php?school_id=125&sport=fb&level=varsity If you want any roster for any sport and team, go to: View Current Season Team Rosters | Kentucky High School Athletic Association
-
Trading Films
I loved hearing stories of some veteran coaches that would find a way to edit into their trade film some "adult" scenes about the middle of the 1st quarter... The opposing coaches would go back home to break the film down after trading the VHS tape on Saturday morning... After getting an idea of what their opponent was about... BAM... about 5 seconds of R-rated to NC-17 material.... then back to football... They said they really had to be careful when trying to show film to their team that week. "Coach, can I take the tape home and watch?" "uh...no.. Not this week."
-
Districts: Are they necessary?
The one positive with districts is scheduling for the really successful schools. Who would really WANT TO schedule Trinity, Cov. Cath, BG, etc.... Those schools would all basically have to play each other. While the games would be great, traveling 3+ hours every other Friday isn't fun... How about this for a playoff idea...?? Even up all the classes. Not 32 in Class A and 6A.... What if KHSAA only take the top 2 in each district... Those schools play for the State Championship. The #3 and #4 seeds would then play their own playoff. (Doesn't have to be THE state championship... maybe a Division 2 or Silver division... call it what you want) This eliminates one week of the football playoffs. Eliminates the 1 vs. 4 blowouts. Eliminates the 2 vs. 3 blowouts. You get really good football teams playing against each other. You get the average teams playing each other. You get competitive games throughout the playoffs. By evening the classes up, it forces any team to win at least one district game... Now if you were to totally eliminate districts, a computer formula could select the top 16 schools to play for the state championship and the next 16 schools to play for the "Division 2" playoff. You would think the top 8 schools would host... Thoughts?
-
What's wrong with Hardin County Football?
As an outsider looking in, John Hardin could just as easily be 1-6 right now instead of 3-4. With two close wins against Daviess and Meade (wasn't that a come from behind win), the Bulldogs could have really been in a bad shape. I fully expect them to win their last 3 games and be 6-4 come playoff time. They have four losses. Boyle County, North Hardin, Central Hardin, and Western. Not a bad bunch. Western is deceiving due to their schedule. Losing by a couple scores to NH & CH is one thing, but losing by 36 points to Western is baffling.
-
Have you seen Elizabethtown?
E-town is a legit contender for Class AAA. Can they win it? Possible. Would be my pick to get to the state championship game. If they can get healthy (O-Line), they will be even more dangerous. Very well coached.
-
Outside of QB, What is the Most Important Position?
It's a tie... Your offensive linemen. I don't care how good your QB is or your RB is, if you come up against a good team, you will be exposed if you have a bad OL.
-
Russellville Panthers - 2016 Grade
Yes. There should be no reason Russellville competes with Franklin Simpson. Franklin has the same type of athletes that R-ville has. Plus Franklin has linemen. Beechwood was really good this year as obviously they won the state championship in their respective class. I'm not saying Russellville had an A+ year. But to say they are an average team is something I can't agree with. Remember, they are a Class A school. Very limited in some things they can do. They are not Trinity, Bowling Green, Mayfield, etc. But Russellville had a really good year. Played a 4A team they don't HAVE TO play. Got matched up against the eventual Class A state champions and played a horrible game after a 4+ bus ride...
-
Russellville Panthers - 2016 Grade
One won a state championship... The other was state runner up. So those two teams are better than above average.
-
Russellville Panthers - 2016 Grade
Well considering they were 12-2 (85% grade)... And considering their two losses were to Franklin Simpson (14-1) & Beechwood (14-1), I think I may give them a few points to round their grade to at least a B+/A-... When a 12 win season gets a grade of a C+ (average), then I would sure hate to see the grades of many other schools...
-
Football Realignment
I'm not going down the road of any school saying we want to play down or play up and that happens... I'm suggesting that the KHSAA be allowed to have some flexibility in moving a school to make a district fit together. Example: If for some reason Warren East was firmly in 4A and a Warren Central gains enough students to be in 5A, let the KHSAA look at Central's numbers and if it is low enough (25-50 boys), then if it makes the district have 5 teams or keeps another school from major traveling, the KHSAA could place Central into a lower class.
-
Football Realignment
When the next realignment takes place, would the KHSAA look at having an enrollment sliding scale when it comes to placing teams in a particular class? In other words if you took the enrollment of a particular school and they fall into the lower part of Class AAA, but there are no teams surrounding them in the area to piece a district together... could there be flexibility (say +/- 50 males) that would allow the team to move into another class. (In this case drop down to AA). Circumstances may be where a team would need to play up in class. I think it would really help on travel, better gates, natural rivalries, etc. Thoughts?
-
KHSAA Football Finals Moved to UK for 2017 & 2018
Just a suggestion, but they need to block off the top & endzones of the stadium with those covers... Make everybody sit in the bottom. It will look like a crowd at a freshmen game...
-
Open Job: McCracken County
Boosters can't pay coaches. Only the board of education can. Now, boosters can donate an amount of funds to the board of education and that board can choose to use that on supplements to athletic coaches...
-
What would 5 classes look like?
With some current district that have teams around 90 minutes apart, I am not sure it gets THAT much worse.
-
What would 5 classes look like?
I totally agree. I just believe that football is different than other sports. Everybody makes the post season in basketball and baseball, but football is the only sport where you can take a PHYSICAL beating. By going to 5 classes and making them equal, it eliminates the possible 0-10, 1-9 teams making the playoffs. At least teams would have to win two games in their district to make the playoffs. If they can win two games in their district, that probably means they would win a couple out-of-district games. There will still be blow out games, the 49-0, 42-6... but that would be the final score, not the 1st quarter score.
-
What would 5 classes look like?
For any of you that have the numbers in front of you.... What would a 5 class system look like? (Equal number per class) Then, what would a 5 class system with 32 in Class A & Class AAAAA, with even numbers in AA, AAA, AAAA look like?