Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tubby's Best Friend

10 Post Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Tubby's Best Friend

  1. I was told the score was 21-6. And Tyler Boyles picked off an option pitch and took it back for the only Rambler TD. But this is all 2nd hand.
  2. Seldom? Is that all you give me credit for? I think it is 20+ years since I missed a regular season football game.
  3. Thanks. Don't know if I deserve that or not!!! But very kind of you to say so.
  4. That's why I felt comfortable making my point of view on the firetruck issue. I was at Nicholas Co., (Downtown Carlisle) when Raceland was 1-8 in 2000, supporting my Ramblers with only a few hardy comrades. :thumb:
  5. Back to the fire truck issue. And before I get blasted from all my orange-blooded friends, if they still are my friends following this post, my allegiance and love for this school and football program should never be in question. I certainly dont diminish last nights win, no more than to diminish Derrick Beach's punt return or Scott Grizzle's TD plunge. I celebrated at that moment and cheered and focused on the next series. If I see JT Forest next week I'll tell him how proud I am of him and the team and the good win, but strive to be better, reach for that trophy at Papa Johns. When we beat Ashland under Bill Tom Ross it was GREAT. But we have done it 5 times now. And we need to focus on what I think most of us truly want, a State Title. But we have yet to win a regional title. In 1999 I believe the fire trucks met us after defeating Ashland and we followed the next 2 weeks with losses to Paintsville and Greenup Co. AND a first round loss in the playoffs. That BIG victory over Ashland was long forgotten come November. I just feel we need to keep some perspective. Congratulate those young men, needle your Tomcat friends and family, and focus on the next week. Don't embrace success so quickly. And I think many times these celebrations divert from the task at hand and that is winning a district, regional, and state title.
  6. They were having a dance at the Tennis Courts tonight, scheduled before the win. I'm a huge Rambler fan and I understand the excitement with the victory, but I think the fire truck lead back to the school is a bit much for a regular season win that truthfully means little other than some bragging rights. It is not as important as a win over Bath Co. and we dont lead the team back with sirens blaring when we return from Owingsville. I'm proud of the players and coaches. Congratulations on a nice win. But the district games and playoffs are the real prizes. Lets take pride in a regular season win, but don't lose our minds. We've beaten Ashland before. Hopefully it is a building block to success in the post-season. A good first step forward. Go Ramblers....
  7. A few quick notes. Last time I saw Blue Blazer in a game uniform he was cutting down some nets in Russell's Gymnasium, so how much high regard he has for The Russell Red Devils is questionable. I personally don't hold Ashland in any higher regard than Russell. They both have fine schools with good athletic and academic tradition. They have fans you love and fans you can do without, just like Raceland fans. Because as humans are, we dont all agree. All 3 schools have positives and negatives as far as their facilities, and as I said on another thread, I believe Raceland should play teams that are willing to do a home and home. Ironton has said they have no problem coming to Raceland and they have more tradition football wise than either of the aforementioned teams. Tonights game I see Raceland winning by 9. But as many have pointed out I tend to wear Orange Glasses. Go Ramblers...
  8. Just a little history for the young man as well as a few others. Raceland and Ashland just renewed this old rivalry last season. Prior to that it was the 2000 season when they last met. And before that game Raceland had taken 3 of 4 from the Tomcats. I am getting a bit old, but if my memory is correct, I think that was the recent history of this matchup. If I'm wrong please correct me. Football just 4 days away!!!!!
  9. Give us an honest opinion. Don't tell us about the '57 Tomcats or the '76 Devils. Point out what you see as advantages and disadvantages to the venue.
  10. Several of the Ram Fans have spoken of our pride and tradition and family. I hope the Family Ram will remember the current head coach is as Orange blooded as any of us and would limit criticism of his coaching. We never agree with each other on everything, but bottom line is noone and I mean NOONE cares more about Raceland football than Randy Vanderhoof. So when the orange clad fans disagree with the play calls or subtitution patterns or the offensive or defensive scheme, keep in mind he is just like the rest of us in he only wants what makes Raceland Football successful. Play calling doesnt determine the kind of coach or better yet the quality of man leading a high school football team. Many of us forget it's just football and look only at the score or who scores or who plays. Good Luck Ramblers. Good Luck Hoof and the entire staff. Have a great season.
  11. How about things with Raceland-Frankfort?
  12. Interesting thread. I'm in the camp of we shouldn't play anyone that won't play us at home. AND I think the only reason we go to Ashland every year is for the financial package. But I could be wrong.
  13. What was the format for that title? Was there a 64 team tourney like March Madness???
  14. A freshman who is better than the girl that was truthfully this states MVP in the state tourney? If this is the case then everyone is playing for second. Sounds like the female version of Lebron.
  15. Looking at it from a purely financial standpoint, I doubt that many matchups would garner as much GREEN as a Raceland vs. Russell game. Spring Valley, Wayne, Cabell Midland, Huntington VA Tigers? Does anyone on this side of the river have any interest in these teams? No disrespect to all my friends from WV. All these teams may be Cincy Moeller for all I know, but WV Football doesnt seem to match anything Ohio has to offer and maybe my Bluegrass Goggles are on but I think Kentucky football is better. Tough to compare since WV has consolidated so much in the last 20 years. I follow a lot of football and hear very few people in this state mention any interest in Mountaineer High School Football, those that live in WV I'm sure have a different view. Plenty of Marshall fans around, but they dont speak about WVHS Football either. The Raceland-Ashland gate is always pretty nice and I would think Raceland-Russell would have many more people crawling out. Russell is on a good run in recent years and should be proud. If Ashland sees some benefit in scheduling Raceland why doesnt some Russell people? Basketball and Baseball seem to have carried on nice series' through the years, why not Football?
  16. I heard that Lawrence Co. was looking for a new head coach. Does anyone know if this is true???
  17. Better than Queen and Terry, D-1 Prospects? On a different level than those players? Where has she signed to play collegiately?
  18. Lets preface my post here by saying I think Mike Flynn did a great job at Ashland and is an excellent coach. I disagree that Mike Flynn's piloting the ship called Ashland basketball has much to do with the state of players coming through the system right now. And I doubt that many of the previous coaches took a hands on approach to youth basketball through middle school basketball. So to say he left it worse than he received it does not necessarily fall in his lap. I think Scooters previous post concerning the lack of 2 middle schools as a more pertinent reason that Ashland now does not dominate the 16th region. Along with a mirade of other reasons, I don't think you will see teams have the runs the Tomcats had in the glory days. And Tomcat fans need to temper their goals and sometimes be satisfied with non region title seasons. True success as a coach or program should not necessarily equate to the number of regional titles a school cranks out. On another note, I think Merle would do a great job at Ashland, as would several of the gentlemen I listed in my previous post.
  19. Just some local names for discussion: Grady Lowe - Pretty successful at West Carter Matthew Perry - Morgan Co. has risen. Plus Matthew has shown some willingness to leave West Liberty. Shawn Johnson - Winningest coach in Raceland history. Merle Kidwell - Russell's girls in the mix yearly under the former Lewis Co. Lion Player/Coach. Joe Hampton - Lewis Co. always a tough opponent under Joe. Randy Ward - Cam the Former Ram is a Mountaineer now, could the general be back in the 16th? Bill Bradley - In the system and experienced. Holy Family was always tough to prepare for. Rex Cooksey - Reigning king of the 64th District. Former Tomcat Coach. Brandon Baker - Seasoned and great coaching bloodline. Also former Tomcat Coach. Steve Dodd - Tomcat looking to come home? Reigning king of the 16th Region. Rick Mayes - The Dean of the 16th. Roger Zornes - Took Ironton to the edge of a championship against the OJ machine. I left several good assistant coaches out of the mix, knowing the Tomcats wouldnt dare give a new name or face a shot. Just a couple names that might come up from just outside the area. Willie or Allen Feldhaus.
  20. I like Tim Fraley, but he isnt a big enough name for Tomcat Nation. Scott Humphrey?
  21. Should be an a great state tournament.
  22. A few people have got on me for not updating. Sorry for the delay, it is a whirlwind summer so far. Tuesday's results: South Point over Raceland South Point over Rock Hill West Carter over Russell Raceland over Russell West Carter over Lewis Co. Lewis Co. over Rock Hill Tonights Games: 4:00 Raceland vs. East Carter 4:00 Russell vs. Greenup Co. 5:00 Ashland vs. West Carter 5:00 Lewis Co. vs. Fairview 6:00 Raceland vs. Ashland 6:00 Russell vs. Fairview 7:00 Greenup Co. vs. Lewis Co. 7:00 East Carter vs. West Carter
  23. Results from tonights games: South Point was unable to attend. GC over Fairview Ashland over Rock Hill Raceland over West Carter Ashland over Fairview West Carter over Rock Hill Play resumes next Tuesday June 6th.
  24. Jeff was also the girls head coach at Menifee.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.