Everything posted by Straitshooter
-
BluegrassPreps.com Boys Basketball Top 20 (2/12/18) Discussion
I think the 11th region would say "Hold my beer". 4 in the top 11. 5 in the top 20. And that isnt including Lexington Catholic which has been a topic of debate on this same thread. Top to bottom the 11th is much tougher. There are 6 or 8 teams in the 42nd and 43rd district alone that play tougher schedules than Collins just because its required of them.
-
BluegrassPreps.com Boys Basketball Top 20 (2/12/18) Discussion
In what world is the 6th region the best region in KY?
-
Open Job: Bowling Green
There's a video that went around after South Warren's win over Bowling Green that I would have to get to the bottom of before I took a look at Brandon Smith. That stuff starts at the top. I'm sure Bowling Green hasn't forgotten that.
-
Open Job: Lexington Catholic
Someone in-house would not surprise me. They need to get their alumni back on board and I think giving it to someone that has the feel of that group will go a long way. They also have hired a new principal for next school year who comes from St. Louis so he might be helping with this search.
-
Tates Creek hires Jonathan Smith as new football head coach.
Coached at Warren East for several years, then moved to Lexington and coached around here for a few years. H-L article said he has spent 19 years as an assistant coach. He's paid his dues in my opinion. Sounds like he is ready to lead his own team.
-
38th District Rumors
Decisions to seed, potential tie-breakers, etc. have to be made a year in advance at the district meeting. Whatever is on file with KHSAA right now is what has to be used this year.
-
2018 Jock Sutherland Classic
They were scheduled for the 1st one a few years ago but snow cancelled the event.
-
2018 Jock Sutherland Classic
Some of these teams coming to Lexington should help their teams and star players get some exposure
-
All A a KHSAA event?
I know that being in a district with an All A school makes scheduling a nightmare. They basically stop their schedule for two weeks so they can allow for All A play. It makes it really difficult this time of year when weather can play a factor in your games to get the actual mandated district games played.
-
Woodford County To Region 8
The bottom line is something had to be done. With the addition of Frankfort Christian, Douglass, and Great Crossing that would bring the 11th region to 21 schools. Moving Franklin County makes the most sense but at a minimum you would have to move Franklin and Western Hills and probably you would have to move Frankfort and Frankfort Christian too.
-
Scott County to play in 5A in 2019
I've heard they are building a pretty good sized stadium on Great Crossing campus and both schools will play home games there. Getting out of the Georgetown College deal is a win for Scott County. The college really took advantage of them is what I have heard.
-
Scott County to play in 5A in 2019
I think they are both in 5A. Georgetown news guy tweeted that based on enrollment numbers they both fall in the middle/lower half of 5A
-
Lafayette 74 Lexington Catholic 58
Lafayette's largest lead was 21. 46 fouls called in the game and 55 combined free throws. Lafayette's press break was phenomenal. They shot 60% in the second half because of easy layups.
-
A Brief History of the Louisville Invitational Tournament
I'm sure that travel plays a factor. It's probably not possible for a team from far away to miss school during the week for the tournament. Especially if they are set on making it 16 teams. Games start pretty early in the day and that's hard to justify if you're travelling.
-
BluegrassPreps Boys Basketball Top 20 (1/2/17) Discussion
I never called their schedule weak. Anyone who plays in the 43rd district and 11th region is going to have a tough schedule. Playing a schedule that is tough but not winning them doesn't automatically make you a good team. I think the second half of their season will be a lot better than the first and I expect them to appear in the rankings when it is all said and done.
-
BluegrassPreps Boys Basketball Top 20 (1/2/17) Discussion
I think a lot of people are still stuck on pre-season rankings. LCA is 6-6 and the teams they've beat are a combined 34-46. They are big, and with a healthier Rode they will be better, but right now no way.
-
Open Job: Paul Laurence Dunbar
Two FCPS jobs open at the moment. One at TC (9-3 in 2017) and one at PLD (0-10 in 2017) One program with only about 5 head coaches in their history. The other with 5 head coaches in the last 9 years. If PLD get the chance to get someone good I would jump on it. Hope they do.
-
Coaching Salaries
All public school coaching positions have a stipend that is set by the board of education. Boosters cannot supplement that in any way- either through the school activity accounts or through their organization. In Fayette County, boosters can help cover the cost of assistant coaches' stipends because FCPS doesn't pay for all 11 assistants you are allowed to have. They only pay for 4 of them. The others must be paid through fundraising and the money comes from the school activity accounts.
-
Attendance, is it up or down from last year in Bowling Green and why?
WKU still bid. I do think Conference USA championship game was the deciding factor. KHSAA didn't want to play the wait and see game. Hard to blame them for that.
-
Three Danville Players Earn Walk-on Offers from Kentucky
If you can play, you can play. I don't care how fast he is. And it sounds like he is exceptionally fast. UK will find a place for him if that's where he decides to go. After all, one of these guys was just named MVP of his league:
-
Three Danville Players Earn Walk-on Offers from Kentucky
I can appreciate how fast he is. I believe he is truly fast. I just don't think he is NFL combine all-time fast. Fast is fast. By all accounts, it is special. I believe that.
-
Attendance, is it up or down from last year in Bowling Green and why?
From what I understand, KHSAA negotiates the deals with the hotels. We got that rate because that's what they gave KHSAA for the teams staying. I'm sure the chamber of commerce in Bowling Green helped broker these relationships. In Lexington, they don't need the business as much so hotels probably have a little more leverage on prices. Also, I believe that KHSAA doesn't supply hotels for teams less than 40 miles away. So, less hotels were probably needed this year.
-
Three Danville Players Earn Walk-on Offers from Kentucky
I haven't seen VanCleave play, but I have heard nothing but good things about him. I think we might be getting carried away saying he runs a sub 4.3 40. That's like top 10 all-time at the NFL combine. I'm sure he is exceptionally fast for a high schooler, but I don't think he is sub 4.3 40 fast.
-
Attendance, is it up or down from last year in Bowling Green and why?
These sites are chosen through a bid process. UK and WKU were the only ones that put in a bid. You can't pick a place that doesn't have an interest. I am willing to bet, though, that Lexington couldn't match Bowling Green in hotel prices. When our team went a couple years ago, KHSAA gave our team hotel to us for $52/night. No way you can get that in Lexington without staying in a hotel where you have to keep one eye open all night.
-
Buckhorn 88 Lee County 26
I wouldn't say one of the most difficult schedules in the state. Maybe compared to other schools their size, or for their region.