Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

banana slug

Standard Membership
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by banana slug

  1. Shumate was the #5 pitcher on one of the best teams in the state last year, and did fine as a sophomore. He really improved nicely as the season progressed and did have some success. Coach Krumps had other options, and Shumate got the ball ahead of some talented pitchers. He will be a starter on a CovCath team that could be pretty good. Shumate made the Kentucky Colonels, again. Walt Terrel surely had other options. I trust the opinion of two coaches that collectively have won about 1400 games over some BGP posters that have yet to win their first at that level, that may have alterior motives for their posts, or simply have a differing opinion. I don't know if he deserves to be in the top 10, it's just preseason BS that doesn't mean anything; however, he has certainly done more at a higher level than some of the other kids on the original list. Some of those young men may be very good players, but have had very little playing time or contributions to their varsity teams. I think one young may only have one varsity base hit, no put-outs, assists,rbi's, or strikeouts. This is not meant as a derogatory comment to any of those young men or their potential; only a response to a question of "what has Shumate done to be on the list". If we have a similar thread at the end of the season, I think he'll be included. I do agree with Cooperstown, I doubt that Shumate or any other pitcher in the 9th will be throwing consistently in the high 80's.
  2. My comments were meant as no disrespect for the guards that played. I think the two that started may be the best option for CCH. I think Gabbard would have the same effect on most PG's in the region.
  3. I think those two points go hand-in-hand. I think Coach realized he had some ball-handling issues (against the press) that needed to be addressed and worked on. Just guessing at their practice today, the Reb players may be questioning whether they won or lost by 27 last night. Someone earlier mentioned that Gabbard looked like Adonnis compared to the CCH guards; he is one of the most astute "hand-checkers" I've seen in a while. With his strength and technique, he virtually dictated where the Colonel guards could go.
  4. Mikey Gabbard is the most complete player in the 9th region. He is the floor general, plays very strong and tenacious D, penetrates and dishes, and can hit from mid-range. Boone is a good team, but not a great team. If you can keep the ball out of Gabbard's hands, Boone will get beat, especially against a team that will press them. TOG, how many turnovers did Boone have? It seemed like they had more than the Colonels. While the Boone bigs played well on both ends in the paint, they did their best Carson Palmer vs. the Jets impersonation in the open court; every pass seemed to sail high,untouched, incomplete, out of bounds, or intercepted. To Boone's credit, their defense was very strong and made it happen. CovCath really couldn't do a thing all night. I think the end result would've been the same regardless of who was in the backcourt for the Colonels.
  5. ...Zach's father also played baseball and football at CCH back in the day. When they moved back from SC, he apparently gave his children the option of what schools to attend.
  6. I'm not sure I know, can you elaborate?
  7. No doubt they've got a lot of hits and RBI's that won't be replaced, since they averaged almost 9 runs per game last year; however, they do have some kids that know what to do with a bat and have had success. Siemer batted second, but should be the sparkplug leading off this year; he has speed, was #2 in the region in runs scored (behind Maile), and hit in the high 300's all year . Martin started most games in the OF, hit about .330 and can hit the ball to the gaps. Schlegbaum and Stayton shared the DH role, they both also hit pretty well. Schlegbaum's avg. was in the high 300's most of the year. Klein hit around .400 two years ago (was ill last year), and will probably bat 3rd or 5th I believe big Ben Maile will bat clean up, and may give them some serious power. He had a lot of HR's in summer ball, and is really working into shape with off-season conditioning. Lankheit may start at catching and was a nice line drive hitter at the JV level. Good luck to Andy Roenker, I hope he has a full recovery and can enjoy a successful senior year.
  8. Klein, Warning, Shumate, and Gerwe are all very solid pitchers. You can make an argument for any of them as the #1, but actually they are all very good 2's (If you're using Isler as the benchmark). When it's their turn to pitch, they'll get the ball regardless of who the opponent is. That may change as the season progresses if someone has a break-out year, I believe two of them will. Last year Isler,Nutini and Krumme ate up over 220 innings alone. A 4 man rotation will work well with this year's staff. Arnzen and Hellman will battle for the spot starts; Hamm and Maile will pitch in relief; and Schlegbaum is a very reliable closer. This team is a very cohesive unit with great chemistry and leadership. They're poised to surprise some people.
  9. Conner, Ryle, Boone, Dixie, Beechwood, Holy Cross, Covington Catholic,... in no specific order. Are there other teams that you think will be contenders?
  10. I'd say their chances are no better or worse than 7 other teams in the mix. ...it's wide open.
  11. Lex Cath is a very good team. Fast, aggressive, and play long. #35 was swatting them away all night, and their press made the gym seem like a phone booth. Offensively #23 can penetrate, #33 can rain 3's, and #35 knows what to do with the ball when he's near the hoop. They're a tough match up for most teams. Three solid scorers, and fairly deep. CCH looked fine and will be a solid team. It may take a few games to get in their groove and figure out what works, and with what line-change. I was encouraged by how they battled against a superior team; again, #6 in the state. The will win their share of games. When #23 was announced, he ran to the Colonel logo and scribbled something. I don't know what or why, but it got everyone's attention. After the tip-off, it seemed to be totally forgotten. CCH did take the high road, even the crazies. It was curious and ill-advised without further explanation;however, it did not seem near as unsportsmanlike as when an opponent spit on the logo a few years ago. I've seen fights in High school, college and pros, football and basketball, for less of an offense. Hats off to the CCH players and fans for handling this with class, and making it a non-issue (as it should be). I don't feel comfortable discussing what kind of retaliation this merited, it should be zero. Keep in mind many of the people commenting on this are non-CCH posters. There were bodies flying all over the place all night for loose balls and rebounds, but not a single hard foul, dirty play, or "dive on the opponent" for a loose ball. Both teams played hard but clean. The crazies were flanked by the principal, the assistant principal and athletic director, the dean of students, and the assistant ad. There were no chants that should have offended anyone; unless the earlier poster heard something that those four administrators hovering over the crazies didn't hear. They have a blast, show incredible passion and spirit, and make a game fun (many cheers, chants, and gigs even bring a smile to opponents fans). Some cheers are certainly intended to get in the opponent's kitchen. Please PM and advise me as to what was said that you didn't like. Quite often I feel like I'm on the outside of a joke and have to ask what was said. Thanks.
  12. I have a question regarding the NFL, and a replay challenge. If a coach challenges the spot on a play, how much of a change in the spot would be required to consider it a correct challenge; therefore, no forfeiture of a timeout. As an example, a play may result in a 4th down and a foot. After further review, it may be respotted inches less than the original mark. This may be difference between going for it, or not. What is the NFL rule regarding this review?
  13. You're right, I don't think a player will complain. It was a great venue, great experience, very nice and accommodating people.
  14. Great game. It was a much closer game than the final score indicates. CCH surprised St. X somewhat in the first half. The score was tied at 1 until the 24 minute mark in the 2nd; and CCH seemed to have the momemtum going into halftime. St. X just threw waves of bodies out there, and the talent level didn't drop a bit. The fresh legs may have been the difference in the 3rd goal. St. X scored the 4th when CCH was forced to push some defenders up into the offense. St. X controlled the game at the start of the second half, and kept the pressure on. There was a great crowd , probably 70% CCH fans. The crazies were there in force, and cheered to the end. TOG is correct. I would guess that the field was probably the worst field that the eight teams in the finals will have played on all year. Not a factor in this game, just hard to understand why they would play the finals there. The soccer sideline is where the football team would stand, and is all dirt. The grass in the middle of the field was thin, and a little bumpy. Congrats to the Colonels for a very rewarding season, you had a great run. CCH showed a lot of heart and hung right with the Tigers until the 3rd goal. Good luck to St. X on a fine victory and a great season. I believe you'll take your 3rd straight title.
  15. Congrats Colonels, hard fought and well played game by CovCath.
  16. LN, I bet your wife is ticked at you for hanging the Living Room drapes outside like that !
  17. Apparently it's blocked here also. I'll check at home too.
  18. No link on mine either Clyde, and now you've piqued my interest. Would you mind re-posting it?
  19. First, Congrats to the Bluebirds. That is a victory that you can (and will) talk about to the grandkids. Clyde, I agree with you on most every point. ...and if you're wondering Birds fans, I'm not a CCH grad. This sentiment was prevalent when I played decades ago. HHS gets my respect, part of me even fought off being happy for them, but I'll never be remotely proud of them. In contrast, I was very proud and happy for Holmes. HHS people, there's a lot more Birds-haters out there than apparently you're aware of, and it's not all borne out of jealousy. I do ,however, think it's restricted to the football program. One point that I disagree with Clyde on; CCH and HHS seem to be 1A and 1B. Many people hate all things CovCath. Whether it be the level of success, private vs. public, the Colonel Crazies, the perceived abundance of resources, or whatever. Start a thread like "should CCH serve pizza on Fridays at school?", or some other obscure thread, and the haters would come out of the woodwork. Clyde, I know you've seen it on the, "should CCH put lights on the football field?" thread. Unfortunately, there's more apparent self righteous indignation , than what appears on a typical BGP Politics and Religion forum thread. Two points that seems to escape most people is, a) it's just sports, and b) nobody at CCH or Highlands really care what outsiders think. Congrats again Birds.
  20. I think the locals must have a both, a nice sense of history and humor. There was a "Territorial Prison" there in the late 1800's and early 1900's that is now a state historic park. There is a highway sign on the interstate near the new prison that states, "Do not pick up hitchhikers, Federal Penitentiary nearby".
  21. There is another Campbell County high school in Wyoming that are also the Camels, which would seem to be a natural fit to me; however the curious thing is, their school colors are also yellow and purple. The Wyoming camel has a little more attitude though. http://www-cchs.ccsd.k12.wy.us/sprofile2.pdf
  22. In the history of BGP, has there ever been a unanimous poll? I mean this out of respect for Ryle, not anything disparaging to Cooper; Ryle will win by a bunch, it could be 35-0 by halftime. Are there many Cooper players that were originally in the Ryle football program?
  23. While I don't know for a fact, I always thought the Notre Dame Academy Panda mascot is merely a play on the letters, paNDA. It's also a nice mascot for an all girls school.
  24. CCH 12 -7 ......and Coach Joey Chestnut Wirth dominates Coach Kobayashi Rash.
  25. Grizzly and Mex, thank you for your feedback. NCC is truly one of the class programs in the state, and I hope and believe they'll get things on track soon. Sometimes it only takes one nice win to breed sustainable confidence and success.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.