Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Team names?

Featured Replies

There are a lot of "common" team names out in Kentucky...shoot, it seems that half the state is the "Wildcats" or "Tigers"...along with a slew of "Cougars", "Cardinals", "Panthers," "Bulldogs", "Eagles", and "Bears."

 

There are a number of unique names that make sense... Calloway County "Lakers" is one such name that makes a lot of sense when you look at a map. The "Pioneers" of Simon Kenton makes sense when you know who Simon Kenton was...

 

But there are some that just beg for their story to be told... the Greenup County "Musketeers", (I actually asked someone about the Musketeers before...I think it had to do with the fact three schools came together to be one...you know, "all for one and one for all"), the "Pandas", the Campbell County "Camels"?????? "Briar Jumpers" And why so many "Rockets?" What does "Pirates" have to do with Belfry or Powell County?? What's a "Crimson" or a "Maroon" look like??? (or a "Purple Flash"?) The Reidland "Greyhounds"??? What's a Prestonsburg "BlackCat"? Is that a Panther? What does "Comets" have to do with West Carter???? The Villa Madonna "Blue Lightning"??? The Franklin County "Flyers"?

 

The Danville "Admirals" and Tates Creek "Commodores" probably go back to some individual who held those ranks and was tied to the local community or the school...???

 

Bryan Station "Defenders"? Where'd that one come from? And what about the Lloyd Memorial "Juggernauts"?

 

Is the Lyon County "Lyons" just a play on letters? Is the mascot a Lion"??

 

One I really want to know about: The Silver Grove "Big Trains" and the "Lady Trains".

 

Tell us what the story is behind your school's name...whether it's an unusual name or a common name with an interesting background.

 

:popcorn:

  • Replies 162
  • Views 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting Post! I dont know the history of alot of these schools but as far as Villa Madonna goes, I know that they were all female until the late 80's early 90's. Originally their mascot was the Vixens which was not all that appropriate when they went to coed. For a few years after the mascot was the Vipers but the administration thought that a bit inappropriate with the whole temptation of Adam by the serpent. They then decided on the Blue Lightning.

One I really want to know about: The Silver Grove "Big Trains" and the "Lady Trains".
That one is pretty easy. Silver Grove sits along the shore of the Ohio River. The entire riverfront area of Siver Grove has (for as long as memory serves) been the home of a large train yard. I'm sure someone from "The Grove" can add more detail to the story, but that's the basics.
  • Author

Interesting!!!!!

 

Keep 'em coming!

While I don't know for a fact, I always thought the Notre Dame Academy Panda mascot is merely a play on the letters, paNDA. It's also a nice mascot for an all girls school.

  • Author
While I don't know for a fact, I always thought the Notre Dame Academy Panda mascot is merely a play on the letters, paNDA. It's also a nice mascot for an all girls school.

 

Whether true or not, a very interesting reason!

I've always wondered about our Fort Campbell Falcons, since the installation is the home of the world famous Screaming Eagles.

 

Maybe they didn't want to be too imitative (is that a word?), so they just went with a different bird of prey.

 

Later.

I've always wondered about our Fort Campbell Falcons, since the installation is the home of the world famous Screaming Eagles.

 

Maybe they didn't want to be too imitative (is that a word?), so they just went with a different bird of prey.

 

Later.

 

The explanation I’ve been told is that Fort Knox High School was opened first and since they had already taken the Eagle as their mascot Fort Campbell chose the Falcon. Fort Campbell opened in the fall of 1962 and I believe Fort Knox opened 1958 or 1959.

From what I understand, Bryan Station was a settlement in Lexington of about 50 homes. They endured many attacks by the Native Americans during the Revolutionary War, so I guess they Defended "their" turf.

The explanation I’ve been told is that Fort Knox High School was opened first and since they had already taken the Eagle as their mascot Fort Campbell chose the Falcon. Fort Campbell opened in the fall of 1962 and I believe Fort Knox opened 1958 or 1959.

That's a pretty logical explanation, thanks for clearing that up.

 

Later.

Bracken County Polar Bears is an interesting one. I read here a few months ago that the nickname came about as a result of the basketball team practicing in some kind of cold storage facility.

I'm not sure exactly what a Royal is, but it's the mascot of Mason County and Rose Hill.

Until they change it, I will continue to contend that the worst nickname/mascot around is that of the ladies' teams of Georgetown (Ohio) High School.

 

They are the Lady G-men.

I once watched an Illinois high school basketball game between the Hoopeston Cornjerkers and the Teutopolis Wooden Shoes. Never did see the school mascots.

I was a Glen Burnie (MD) Gopher.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.