St X/ Cov Catholic

clipper

Game was closer than the score showed at the end.

St. X scored with around 23 minutes on the clock (1st half) on a real nice shot from the top of the circle but I think to the surprise (at least to the St. X fans near me it was) CovCath scored less than 2 minutes later and the game was tied at Half Time 1-1.

CovCath came out in the second half and took control of the game, but again with around 23 minutes on the clock St. X scored and with the number of players that St. X was putting in and out of the game, I think CovCath just got tired.

St. X is indeed a force and the little I saw of Danville and Greenwood I don't think either will have a chance with St. X

Couple of comments about the game.

Can't the KHSAA find a Soccer field to play these Championship game on? I mean come on, there isn't a soccer field in the entire Commonwealth to play a state soccer championship match on then a football field that quite frankly is bumpy and end lines are a mess.

KHSAA, do you honestly mean you couldn't find a High School kid to read the opening statement of fair play and had to have a fifth grader read the statement? So who's kid was it?

KHSAA, again what with the little kids being the ball persons? This was quarter finals in a state tournament game and you couldn't find some college or even high schools kids to be the ball person?

Soccer is still the step child of sports IMO of the KHSAA.

BTW nice crowd of Crazies cheering for the CovCath team.

Great game. It was a much closer game than the final score indicates. CCH surprised St. X somewhat in the first half. The score was tied at 1 until the 24 minute mark in the 2nd; and CCH seemed to have the momemtum going into halftime. St. X just threw waves of bodies out there, and the talent level didn't drop a bit. The fresh legs may have been the difference in the 3rd goal. St. X scored the 4th when CCH was forced to push some defenders up into the offense. St. X controlled the game at the start of the second half, and kept the pressure on.

There was a great crowd , probably 70% CCH fans. The crazies were

there in force, and cheered to the end.

TOG is correct. I would guess that the field was probably the worst field that the eight teams in the finals will have played on all year. Not a factor in this game, just hard to understand why they would play the finals there. The soccer sideline is where the football team would stand, and is all dirt. The grass in the middle of the field was thin, and a little bumpy.

Congrats to the Colonels for a very rewarding season, you had a great run. CCH showed a lot of heart and hung right with the Tigers until the 3rd goal. Good luck to St. X on a fine victory and a great season. I believe you'll take your 3rd straight title.

Great game. It was a much closer game than the final score indicates. CCH surprised St. X somewhat in the first half. The score was tied at 1 until the 24 minute mark in the 2nd; and CCH seemed to have the momemtum going into halftime. St. X just threw waves of bodies out there, and the talent level didn't drop a bit. The fresh legs may have been the difference in the 3rd goal. St. X scored the 4th when CCH was forced to push some defenders up into the offense. St. X controlled the game at the start of the second half, and kept the pressure on.

There was a great crowd , probably 70% CCH fans. The crazies were

there in force, and cheered to the end.

TOG is correct. I would guess that the field was probably the worst field that the eight teams in the finals will have played on all year. Not a factor in this game, just hard to understand why they would play the finals there. The soccer sideline is where the football team would stand, and is all dirt. The grass in the middle of the field was thin, and a little bumpy.

Congrats to the Colonels for a very rewarding season, you had a great run. CCH showed a lot of heart and hung right with the Tigers until the 3rd goal. Good luck to St. X on a fine victory and a great season. I believe you'll take your 3rd straight title.

I'm going out on a limb here and predicting you won't here one player complain. They are the ones that matter. Great venue and the KHSAA does an incredible job with their tournaments. From the inside, no complaints here.

St. X wins 4-1 to move to state final

GEORGETOWN, Ky. — The stakes higher than they were last week, it was head coach Andy Schulten's turn Wednesday to light a fire under his team at halftime.

It worked out just fine.

Tyler Riggs' second goal of the night gave the St. Xavier High School soccer team a 2-1 lead midway through the second half and Cameron Coppola added two late goals as the Tigers beat upset-minded Covington Catholic 4-1 in a State Tournament semifinal at Toyota Stadium.