Winners and Losers of State Tournament Draw

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how a blind draw for the State tourney is any different or even worse than the playoff format we have for football. There is no perfect way to seed a state tournament IMO. The current way is the most fair, even if it makes for a less exciting tourney. If I'm not mistaken the true intent of the KHSAA Sweet 16 is to crown a state champ, not to provide great games to the fans. Many people hate the BCS, why would you want to corrupt high school sports with something so subjective? Every team in KY has the exact same chance to win the whole thing, from the big schools in Lexington and Louisville to the small schools around the state. How can it be more fair than that?

I don't see how a blind draw for the State tourney is any different or even worse than the playoff format we have for football. There is no perfect way to seed a state tournament IMO. The current way is the most fair, even if it makes for a less exciting tourney. If I'm not mistaken the true intent of the KHSAA Sweet 16 is to crown a state champ, not to provide great games to the fans. Many people hate the BCS, why would you want to corrupt high school sports with something so subjective? Every team in KY has the exact same chance to win the whole thing, from the big schools in Lexington and Louisville to the small schools around the state. How can it be more fair than that?

Seed them. That makes it fair. IMO.

No way you can truly seed an entire state. Bottom line is you just have to win baby. If you are the best you will come out on top no matter the system.

Oh yeah....2 garbage polls, 2 credible polls and then a coach's poll(can't vote for your team). Average out where all 16 teams end up and seed them accordingly. We are only seeding 16 regional finalists. That isn't rocket science. Just like an NCAA tourney bracket....1-16 seeds.

Me and Randy got it covered. We just need to fine tune it and then present to KHSAA.

Oh yeah....2 garbage polls, 2 credible polls and then a coach's poll(can't vote for your team). Average out where all 16 teams end up and seed them accordingly. We are only seeding 16 regional finalists. That isn't rocket science. Just like an NCAA tourney bracket....1-16 seeds.

Me and Randy got it covered. We just need to fine tune it and then present to KHSAA.

I think that would be great. However, we can't agree on who should be where, how are we gonna agree on whose polls to include?:lol:

Surprised that there's been less mention of the 3rd and 10th getting a rough draw. If you'd have told me that those two would draw one another and nothing else, I'd have thought that think the winner of that game would be considered a team who could do some damage in the tourney. The likelihood of them doing so in having to beat the winner of the 6th/7th is greatly diminished though.

Another point I'd like to make is that two regions such as the 6th and 7th drawing one another isn't automatically a bad thing. This year, it definitely doesn't look like a favorable draw, but I could actually see it being an advantage if the teams were two of the top four or five, and the winner of that game wouldn't have to meet another top 5 team until the finals. Essentially, you'd have the two teams having ample time to prepare for one another, play their game, then be favored in the next two games before meeting up with another top team who might not be as rested as they are.

I think one of the biggest advantages in a draw is getting to play in the Wednesday session so you're able to rest and recover on Thursday, play early on Friday, then play the first game on Saturday and get some rest.

I agree nothing needs to change. The KOB and LIT are invitational and not better Tournaments than the Sweet 16. If we used the ranking system to position the teams it would hurt the state. Take Rowan County for example in both polls they have dropped out of the top 25 because they don't run scores up and they chose to play a tough out of conference schedule. The rating system has not been friendly to them at all. I can't see how using that system would help our state. Some people just want to guarentee that Regions 6 and 7 are opposite each other like they were last year. One got beat in the 2nd round and the other in the seme finals. Leave the current system in place. If you are one of the top teams in the State you have to be willing to take what opponent you happen to draw. The State does not lose a thing by the current system.

Surprised that there's been less mention of the 3rd and 10th getting a rough draw. If you'd have told me that those two would draw one another and nothing else, I'd have thought that think the winner of that game would be considered a team who could do some damage in the tourney. The likelihood of them doing so in having to beat the winner of the 6th/7th is greatly diminished though.

Another point I'd like to make is that two regions such as the 6th and 7th drawing one another isn't automatically a bad thing. This year, it definitely doesn't look like a favorable draw, but I could actually see it being an advantage if the teams were two of the top four or five, and the winner of that game wouldn't have to meet another top 5 team until the finals. Essentially, you'd have the two teams having ample time to prepare for one another, play their game, then be favored in the next two games before meeting up with another top team who might not be as rested as they are.

I think one of the biggest advantages in a draw is getting to play in the Wednesday session so you're able to rest and recover on Thursday, play early on Friday, then play the first game on Saturday and get some rest.

I think the winner of the 10th Region before the season would have taken a quarterfinal finish in the State Tourny.

Some interesting quotes from Louisville coaches.

Someone might want to mention to coach Mabrey that there ARE fans of high school basketball outside of Louisville. And the state tournament does not now, nor has it ever revolved around the 6th and 7th Regions.

Yes, I got a chuckle out of that also.

Mabrey said. “That’s just amazing. … Whoever gets there, it will be a wonderful game. I just don’t know if there will be anybody in the arena (from outside Louisville) to watch it.”

If you look at the ten largest crowds in tournament history, in only two have there been Louisville teams involved - the 7th largest and 10th largest. And that is not just the title game. That is top ten SESSIONS. The Louisville teams obviously have little impact on attendance. If anything, it is better for attendance that they aren't there.