Winners and Losers of State Tournament Draw

Yes, I got a chuckle out of that also.

Mabrey said. “That’s just amazing. … Whoever gets there, it will be a wonderful game. I just don’t know if there will be anybody in the arena (from outside Louisville) to watch it.”

If you look at the ten largest crowds in tournament history, they have one thing in common - not one Louisville team played in any of the games. And that is not just the title game. That is top ten SESSIONS - not one Louisville team involved.

Agreed. Lots of people bash the Lexington crowds during the regular season, etc. (and in many cases rightfully so), but in my years of going to the Sweet 16, the Louisville crowds outside of Male during the Bush, O'Bannon years, Ballard during some of their big runs, and Trinity (first time going), there haven't been many schools that stand out as far as attendance, school spirit, and participation.

As for another of our larger areas, I've been mostly impressed by the crowd support from 9th region teams like St. Henry in 2003, Covington Catholic whenever and wherever they go, Ryle during their trip, etc. As for the 10th, Mason County is always counted on to pack the house and GRC always brings a respectable crowd.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Lots of people bash the Lexington crowds during the regular season, etc.(and in many cases rightfully so), but in my years of going to the Sweet 16, the Louisville crowds outside of Male during the Bush, O'Bannon years, Ballard during some of their big runs, and Trinity (first time going), there haven't been many schools that stand out as far as attendance, school spirit, and participation.

As for another of our larger areas, I've been mostly impressed by the crowd support from 9th region teams like St. Henry in 2003, Covington Catholic whenever and wherever they go, Ryle during their trip, etc. As for the 10th, Mason County is always counted on to pack the house and GRC always brings a respectable crowd.

Mason County played in 4 of the top 5 in attendance, including the two largest in attendance title games.

I agree nothing needs to change. The KOB and LIT are invitational and not better Tournaments than the Sweet 16. If we used the ranking system to position the teams it would hurt the state. Take Rowan County for example in both polls they have dropped out of the top 25 because they don't run scores up and they chose to play a tough out of conference schedule. The rating system has not been friendly to them at all. I can't see how using that system would help our state. Some people just want to guarentee that Regions 6 and 7 are opposite each other like they were last year. One got beat in the 2nd round and the other in the seme finals. Leave the current system in place. If you are one of the top teams in the State you have to be willing to take what opponent you happen to draw. The State does not lose a thing by the current system.

Both Louisville teams lost in the semifinals last year! Eastern to Christian County and Bullitt East to Rowan County.

The Sweet 16 draw is what it is. Someone is always going to complain how something is set-up.

I do have a question? When they do the draw is there a representative from each school involved present?

No. There MAY be a rep from each region, such as a tournament director.

Seed the 16 teams with a BCS type formula using AP Poll, Cantrall, Litkenhous, BGP and a coaches poll and have at it.
That is the craziest thing I've ever heard!!! The Sweet 16 has been a wide open event for years upon years now....the underdogs of this tourney has won several state titles and that is why huge crowds from all over this state come each year, not to see the favorites win, but to see that the underdogs of the tourney have a fighting chance to take home a state title...this will NEVER change!!

I agree nothing needs to change. The KOB and LIT are invitational and not better Tournaments than the Sweet 16. If we used the ranking system to position the teams it would hurt the state. Take Rowan County for example in both polls they have dropped out of the top 25 because they don't run scores up and they chose to play a tough out of conference schedule. The rating system has not been friendly to them at all. I can't see how using that system would help our state. Some people just want to guarentee that Regions 6 and 7 are opposite each other like they were last year. One got beat in the 2nd round and the other in the seme finals. Leave the current system in place. If you are one of the top teams in the State you have to be willing to take what opponent you happen to draw. The State does not lose a thing by the current system.

First bolded - wholeheartedly agree. It's the STATE tournament, not a local/regional invitational. Those Cinderella teams that make deep tournament runs are just as interesting to me - even more so - than trying to ensure that "the best" two teams play on Saturday night.

Second bolded - I've ALWAYS said that if you are good enough to be a contender, you gotta play the powerhouses sometime. Doesn't matter whether in the first round, Saturday night, or somewhere in between. I can't stand it when folks cry about "their draw".

Third bolded - we may be in the minority, but the Kentucky Sweet 16 is the greatest show in hoops for several reasons. The blind draw being one of them.

You wants rep from 200 + schools to be there for the draw?

Yes, if they want to be there!!! We all know that a good percentage wouldn't show.

If I was a coach and knew my team had a good shot of making it there..you bet I or a rep from our team would there!!!!!