Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Indiana 74 Ohio State 70

Featured Replies

Spin it any way you want, the Rupp Arena crowd simply isn't a great college atmosphere. It's big and has the potential to be loud, but it could be so much better.

 

I am not spinning it...We have had season tickets for the 34 years of my life and I get put out by the crowds at Rupp...however for big games, I don't believe there are many places any harder to play...

 

Are there a lot of silver heads with lots of Cash that don't like to stand and cheer, yes...but as whole for the big games on the schedule, I believe Rupp is a tough place to play. Biggest problem and it's a huge problem, is many times the fans have to feed off the play of the team, instead of them being crazy regardless.

 

I do believe that Cal has brought back a lot of the home court advantage with his style of play.

 

As for Indiana, they are in a spot a lot like UK was in the early 90's (Rupp used to really rock then). Indiana fans are finally having something to cheer about and that is good for college basketball.

for big games, I don't believe there are many places any harder to play

 

Completely agree. I do agree with Wireman that Rupp isn't the most raucous venue night-in and night-out. But in big-game situations, it is one of the more frenzied environments in the country.

 

Still, I'll take Cal's home record while @ UK over anyone else's. The bottom line is winning at home, and thus far, no one has done that better than Cal.

Indiana's areana is one of the hardest places in the nation to play. Cameron Indoor has nothing on Assembly Hall. It made weird to begin with, like it sits down in a canyon. And the fans seem like they're right on top of the court, and it is as loud as it gets for a ball game.

And it seems the Hoosiers get just enough calls to make it through in the close games. In the UK game it was the no-calls that I noticed when UK attacked the basket and was whacked around, and nothing called. Even Vitale said a couple of time, "I can't believe that is a play-on"

Then they come back to reality at Michigan State when you get them out of their comfort zone of Assembly hall. UK would beat them 25+ in Rupp, and 20 on a neutral site.

Indiana's areana is one of the hardest places in the nation to play. Cameron Indoor has nothing on Assembly Hall. It made weird to begin with, like it sits down in a canyon. And the fans seem like they're right on top of the court, and it is as loud as it gets for a ball game.

And it seems the Hoosiers get just enough calls to make it through in the close games. In the UK game it was the no-calls that I noticed when UK attacked the basket and was whacked around, and nothing called. Even Vitale said a couple of time, "I can't believe that is a play-on"

Then they come back to reality at Michigan State when you get them out of their comfort zone of Assembly hall. UK would beat them 25+ in Rupp.

 

The IU crowd vs. UK was something special. Has to be one of the two or three loudest games I've ever seen on TV.

The IU crowd vs. UK was something special. Has to be one of the two or three loudest games I've ever seen on TV.
You literally couldn't hear the broadcasters a couple of times at the end.

There has to be an advantage for a team that plays all of its games in a gym versus a team that plays there one time in a season. The familiarity of it has to be an advantage to the home team, regardless of the crowd or anything else. JMO

 

I believe the biggest advantage gained from home crowds is that they energize their home team when they get really loud.

That great IU crowd helped Crean land a nice commit from Wisconsin this weekend. Zeller replacement.

The UK and OSU wins have solidfied IU's rise back to prominence. It will still take a couple of more years and a few more big wins to get them back to the '02 level and the Bob Knight years. Right now, I think IU is playing their way into at least a #4 seed in the tournament, if not up to a #3 seed.

 

This would be a huge turnaround for this program and if they can accomplish that, I think it's hands down, that Tom Crean is the coach of the year!!

I am not spinning it...We have had season tickets for the 34 years of my life and I get put out by the crowds at Rupp...however for big games, I don't believe there are many places any harder to play...

 

I would agree with this statement. But along the lines of what Wireman said, it seems like random players from random teams always have huge games at Rupp, even though they lose. I'm thinking of the kid from Sam Houston State who hit nine threes in particular. I think part of the reason those individuals have success is the crowd knows Kentucky will win and aren't really into it.

 

But when it's North Carolina, Louisville, Florida, or any other ranked SEC opponent, Rupp is always hopping.

You literally couldn't hear the broadcasters a couple of times at the end.

 

I was at the game and couldn't hear the whistles blowing. Not even once.

Spin it any way you want, the Rupp Arena crowd simply isn't a great college atmosphere. It's big and has the potential to be loud, but it could be so much better.

 

I been saying that for years. Rupp is not that scary of a place for kids to play in compared to other places. What is scary about UK is all the talent that is on the team, and why Coach Cal has not lost at Rupp.

I was at the game and couldn't hear the whistles blowing. Not even once.

 

I was at the UK UL game and couldn't hear the whistle a few times and the players couldn't as well as they continued on after a whistle.

 

UK fans don't often "bring it" for a whole 40 minutes...50% of the crowd couldn't stand up that long. However when Rupp is rocking, there is no better place.

 

As for players from smaller schools scoring a lot...I attribute some of that to the "superbowl" factor of playing in Rupp. For lots of players, playing at Rupp in front of 24k is the pinacle of their career.

There has to be an advantage for a team that plays all of its games in a gym versus a team that plays there one time in a season. The familiarity of it has to be an advantage to the home team, regardless of the crowd or anything else. JMO

 

I believe the biggest advantage gained from home crowds is that they energize their home team when they get really loud.

 

And the loudness definitely affects the referees too. A lot of those blocked shots under the basket, that are actually fouls, are swallowed up by the roar of the crowd and a big no-call on the ref's part. It happens at home games with large crowds, and it happened quite often in the UK-Indiana game.

I was at the UK UL game and couldn't hear the whistle a few times and the players couldn't as well as they continued on after a whistle.

 

UK fans don't often "bring it" for a whole 40 minutes...50% of the crowd couldn't stand up that long. However when Rupp is rocking, there is no better place.

 

As for players from smaller schools scoring a lot...I attribute some of that to the "superbowl" factor of playing in Rupp. For lots of players, playing at Rupp in front of 24k is the pinacle of their career.

 

So true. I'm not too far away from being in that category myself.lol.gif

I would agree that Rupp isn't as intimidating as some other venues. I think Assembly Hall, Phog Allen Fieldhouse (two that I have been too) are quite intimidating for opponents. The one I haven't been too, but can just tell from watching it on ESPN and seeing Dickie V being crowd surfed into his announcer's seat is Cameron Indoor.

 

The only things that make Rupp intimidating are the banners, Ashley Judd, and the consistent talent on the team!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.