Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

KHSAA Where are you?!!!!

Featured Replies

The question was, what advantage does Highlands have that any other school can't develop over time?

 

When they can attract students from a large populace (even outside the city through tuition), it's an advantage that Logan County will NEVER enjoy. Ever.

 

I dont question the work they do, the youth football leagues, coaching, etc.

 

If that is the criteria, isn't the question "What advantage does [any urban school] have that any other [rural] school can't develop over time?" No need to limit the inquiry to Highlands or any other school.

  • Replies 162
  • Views 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What in the world does the percentage of free and reduced lunch students have to do with KHSAA playoffs?
Well nothing really but he had said they had 96% attendance and 90% going to college which has nothing to do with what you said. So I ask what free reduced was because it something to do with attendance and college.

Edited by Birdsfan

What in the world does the percentage of free and reduced lunch students have to do with KHSAA playoffs?
Well nothing really but he had said they had 96% attendance and 90% going to college which has nothing to do with what you said. So I ask what free reduced was because it something to do with attendance and college.

 

It had to do more with there are many more tuition students go to HHS for the education than for football. But back to the thread, I would be ok with going to 9 games since there are only 4 or 5 district games and letting everyone in. But I would prefer only letting 3 teams in with the district winner getting a bye or going to 4 classes again and letting 4 teams in.

Edited by Birdsfan

I don't really care where a student lives, or which school they choose to attend. It does strike me as being rather funny that some of the fans of the better sports programs, refuse to believe that they have student athletes that transfer to their school because of the superior sports program. It's OK, it's legal in most, if not all instances. I don't know much about Trinity. I am familiar with NCC, Highlands, Beechwood, and Cov Cath. All of which I would consider to have a top sports program of some kind. I say this because I, me, personally know people that have sent a child to these schools and that child played a sport, more than any, football. One was a basketball player, two that were baseball players, but mostly for football . Each of these families had other children that did not attend the same high school. I know CCH is an all boys school, so that would eliminate the possibility for one of the families I'm referring to. I would have to believe that if it were for superior education purposes only, the non sports playing siblings would attend the same school. I cannot believe that a parent would slight a child, a superior education, just because they didn't play a sport. Like I said, It's OK, it's legal. I know these programs have worked hard. As I stated in another thread, a few years back when the basketball players were transferring to Scott County, I don't believe it was for a chance at a superior Scott County education. It was to try and win a state basketball championship, IMO. Didn't happen though. A coach should use every edge he or she can. If drawing in top athletes from surrounding areas is part of it, and it's done legally. More power to you.

I think they should institute a salary cap and create parity across the state.

 

Team's in bigger markets or heavy coal mining areas have an unfair advantage because they can spend more on their rosters. :rolleyes:

The question was, what advantage does Highlands have that any other school can't develop over time?

 

When they can attract students from a large populace (even outside the city through tuition), it's an advantage that Logan County will NEVER enjoy. Ever.

 

I dont question the work they do, the youth football leagues, coaching, etc.[/QUOTe]

 

ARE YOU READING WHAT the posts are saying in response to you?! Your questions/concerns/misunderstanding/misconceptions are being addressed over and over!

Edited by Birdsfan

I am. I answered the first question that was asked. Population pool is an advantage that rural schools dont have and will never have. Period. It doesnt matter to me if only 10 of the tuition kids are football players. Or even five. Those kids come from a much larger pool of populace where the odds are better that those players are better athletes. How else do you explain the large margin in the urban vs. rural state championships? Are you telling me that Belfry and Breathitt County don't have tradition? Facilities? Coaches? Central has a much larger pool to draw their players from.

I am. I answered the first question that was asked. Population pool is an advantage that rural schools dont have and will never have. Period. It doesnt matter to me if only 10 of the tuition kids are football players. Or even five. Those kids come from a much larger pool of populace where the odds are better that those players are better athletes. How else do you explain the large margin in the urban vs. rural state championships? Are you telling me that Belfry and Breathitt County don't have tradition? Facilities? Coaches? Central has a much larger pool to draw their players from.

 

The only population pool that matters is # of boys in the high school.

Highlands 419

Johnson Central 497

 

Breathitt 353

Belfry 353

Central 363

 

Actually, I would say Highlands and other independents would have a harder time maintaining their populations. Fort Thomas is landlocked, as the population ages many elderly stay in their homes until they die not allowing a new family with children to occupy that home. In the county their is plenty of land to build on.

What is their % of free and reduced lunch? If you do go to all in playoffs the regular season would have to be cut to 9 games probably because it would add at least 1 more week of playoffs.

 

Now we are "grasping for straws". When will this silliness end?????

I think they should institute a salary cap and create parity across the state.

 

Team's in bigger markets or heavy coal mining areas have an unfair advantage because they can spend more on their rosters. :rolleyes:

 

:laugh:

The only population pool that matters is # of boys in the high school.

Highlands 419

Johnson Central 497

 

Breathitt 353

Belfry 353

Central 363

 

Actually, I would say Highlands and other independents would have a harder time maintaining their populations. Fort Thomas is landlocked, as the population ages many elderly stay in their homes until they die not allowing a new family with children to occupy that home. In the county their is plenty of land to build on.

Like I said before, I'll go to Louisville and pick 50 kids for a football team. You go to Horse Cave and do the same. I like my chances better. Dont tell me population doesn't matter. Why don't large rural schools ever win football titles? Name the last one. I don't expect people who live in an urban area to understand a rural argument. Go to Horse Cave and find 50 kids for a football team and let me know when you want to play my team.
Now we are "grasping for straws". When will this silliness end?????
Actually he said they have 96% attendance and 90% go to college. SO, I ask what was the free and reduced lunch % because it has alot to do with attendance and going to college. WHY don't people read post before making comments about comments. It's not a trick ? and has NOTHING to do with "KHSAA where are you" but neither do 100 of these other posts!
Like I said before, I'll go to Louisville and pick 50 kids for a football team. You go to Horse Cave and do the same. I like my chances better. Dont tell me population doesn't matter. Why don't large rural schools ever win football titles? Name the last one. I don't expect people who live in an urban area to understand a rural argument. Go to Horse Cave and find 50 kids for a football team and let me know when you want to play my team.

 

My answer to your question is that most large rural schools haven't place an emphasis on football for decades like the urban schools in N. Ky and Louisville have. Trust me, I've been around a lot of large rural school administrators and I know. They thought/think football was something kids played around with for a couple of months before basketball practice began. Some still don't place an emphasis on football, hire top quality coaches, have the youth league needed and/or have enough kids totally committed to football. Those that do have those things just got them in place within the last 10 years or less. Anyone that thinks they can catch up to the schools that have been committed to a top quality football program for 30, 40, 50 years or more probably also believes Rome should be built in a day and thinks that Athenians had some unfair advantage in getting the Parthenon built.

Like I said before, I'll go to Louisville and pick 50 kids for a football team. You go to Horse Cave and do the same. I like my chances better. Dont tell me population doesn't matter. Why don't large rural schools ever win football titles? Name the last one. I don't expect people who live in an urban area to understand a rural argument. Go to Horse Cave and find 50 kids for a football team and let me know when you want to play my team.

 

Why do you keep thinking that urban schools have the pick of the entire metro area? The only thing they can pick from is the boys walking their halls, as I and others have said here. The only exception to this is tuition students. To that you said, "Those kids come from a much larger pool of populace where the odds are better that those players are better athletes." Just because a kid comes from a densely populated area and pays tuition doesn't make him a better athlete.

 

Look at it this way: Let's say that a small pizza = 3 slices of a large pizza. They both have the same calories, fat and nutrients. Now, whether you order and eat a small pizza (a rural county school that gets all the boys) or you get 3 slices of a large pizza (a city school that gets a certain portion of the population nearby) you're going to end up with the same amount of calories, fat and nutrients. The fact that the pieces from the large pizza has 5 other pieces next to it will have no impact on the three pieces you ate. Three pieces of a large = one small. 500 boys are 500 boys.

 

I'm arguing from a purely numbers standpoint. As I stated before, I do believe that urban schools do have other advantages, mostly geographic and economic.

 

Now I think I'll have to have pizza for lunch... :D

Why do you keep thinking that urban schools have the pick of the entire metro area? The only thing they can pick from is the boys walking their halls, as I and others have said here. The only exception to this is tuition students. To that you said, "Those kids come from a much larger pool of populace where the odds are better that those players are better athletes." Just because a kid comes from a densely populated area and pays tuition doesn't make him a better athlete.

 

Look at it this way: Let's say that a small pizza = 3 slices of a large pizza. They both have the same calories, fat and nutrients. Now, whether you order and eat a small pizza (a rural county school that gets all the boys) or you get 3 slices of a large pizza (a city school that gets a certain portion of the population nearby) you're going to end up with the same amount of calories, fat and nutrients. The fact that the pieces from the large pizza has 5 other pieces next to it will have no impact on the three pieces you ate. Three pieces of a large = one small. 500 boys are 500 boys.

 

I'm arguing from a purely numbers standpoint. As I stated before, I do believe that urban schools do have other advantages, mostly geographic and economic.

 

Now I think I'll have to have pizza for lunch... :D

Where do the boys walking the halls come from? From a pool of 10,000 or a pool of 200,000? Which would you rather draw your "boys walking the halls from"?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.