November 13, 201114 yr And......don't go out and get some kind of "quick fix" coach. Does the name Hal Mumme ring a bell???
November 13, 201114 yr UK can get a GREAT BB coach because they are a GREAT basketball school. Elite coaches want to work there. GREAT football coaches, not so much... you make a very good point and may be right. I still believe that if they offer enogh they could get a big name coach, enough money may just overidre a lousy program.
November 13, 201114 yr Author At least oldrambler agrees with me. Thought I was all alone. Lol. Most of you seem to think UK will never be an elite program. Maybe not....... It seems that some
November 13, 201114 yr Author ^^^........some are ok not even being competitive. Like it's something to do until BB starts.
November 13, 201114 yr If UK wants a better football program they need to forget about the coaches (who don't play on the field) and start paying high-caliber players to come to UK. How do you think Auburn landed Newton? He could have been ours if we would have paid his father the right amount.
November 13, 201114 yr I am older but I am not a senior. :lol::laugh: Great, now I'm cleaning the coffee off of my monitor.
November 13, 201114 yr UK needs to go unconventional and hope to get lucky with a decent recruiter, a guy that runs a scheme that can thrive or someone with some serious NFL pedigree. I, as many have stated, do not see a big name guy with options choosing UK over a school with similar financial resources but better football pedigree. Most football coaches that want to compete for titles stay away from basketball schools- they do not want to compete for facilities and dollars with an established program like UK's basketball program. I remember a few years back that Parcells said he would have taken the UK job, but the Cowboys came calling. Go see if he would be interested again. See if Charlie Weis wants to be a head guy again- he could recruit and he would not have the limitations of Notre Dame's academic standards to get players to Lexington. Go with Rich Rod or how about Chris Ault up in Nevada. You could look up Pat Hill at Fresno. I like Leach, but he has ties to Mumme, so I can not see that ever happening. Be the first to offer Gus Malzahn. You could go into the lower levels of the NCAA and find a guy, too. All Craig Bohl has ever done is win at North Dakota State. Mark Farley from Northern Iowa is a great coach as well. You could go real crazy and check out Tony Annese at Grand Rapids Community College- he runs a system that most teams have never seen before. I agree, All of these would be good options to improve UK football. Good post.
November 14, 201114 yr No way Meyer goes to UK over OSU and Penn State. Give Taggart a couple more years at WKU and he might be your man.
November 14, 201114 yr The bottom line is as others have said UK is a basketball school. The rest of the SEC prefers football. I guess nothing wrong with being the best basketball school in a football conference. Let's face it if Bear Bryant wasn't respected and loved enough to stay at UK, which coach would? I like UK football, but was laughed off here last year for saying just qualifying for a bowl was not a worthy enough goal for an SEC school. Football is the big money sport in the NCAA. Basketball has a nice year end tournament. The Cats should get serious about the gridiron and I see no reason why they can't be much better in this sport. The Joker should be discarded.
November 14, 201114 yr Joker needs somehow to infuse this team with some leadership and enthusiasm----both of which IMO have been lacking all season long.
November 14, 201114 yr When South Carolina ran the score up on UK earlier this year, Joker smiled walking across the field to shake Spurrier's hand. When Georgia did things Vandy didn't like earlier this year, Franklin went toe to toe with the GA defensive coordinator. Both personalities and how their teams respond to them were on display in Nashville Saturday.
November 14, 201114 yr Joker will be back next year, however a few of his assistants will not be. Sounds like he should have kept more of the assistants they had under Brooks. He made all of the changes, and he was wrong, IMO. But you are correct on this post.
November 23, 201114 yr Just read on Maggard's facebook page that he's hearing rumors Joker might not make it back next year. Barring a win at UT, I think its the only choice to make.
November 23, 201114 yr Just read on Maggard's facebook page that he's hearing rumors Joker might not make it back next year. Barring a win at UT, I think its the only choice to make. If you read Pat Forde's piece on Yahoo today he said: "The Volunteers are scrambling for a bowl bid. The Wildcats are trying to end the nation’s longest current futility streak in an annual series, having lost 26 straight to Tennessee. And they just might be playing their last game under coach Joker Phillips – probably not, but let’s wait and see." Fairly innocuous but it definitely caught my eye.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.