Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coach Calipari's future at UK

Featured Replies

I, myself am not a UK fan. But I do know quite a few die hard fans. I was just curious how everyone else felt, because I remember a few years after Tubby's championship, these same people were complaining about him and how he wasn't winning championshps, etc. I also that these are just my local NKY friends and in the grand scheme of things their opinions do not really matter about this. But like I said just curious what everyone else thought and it seems like everyone (at least most BGPers feel the same way about him)

 

GO CARDS!!

 

As far as coaching abilities go, I believe that Cal is ahead of Tubby Smith. I also believe that Tubby got far more disrespect than he deserved as well. Tubby didn't do as bad as many made him to. Regardless, I'm on the same boat with you when it comes to the Cards. I have always been a Louisville fan.

  • Replies 39
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
II remember a few years after Tubby's championship, these same people were complaining about him and how he wasn't winning championshps, etc.

 

But Tubby took over a team with back to back Title game appearances, won a title, and never touched the Final Four again. Cal took a team who hadn't seen the Final Four since 1998 and got them back there in 2 years.

 

Sure, if 8 years from now Cal is still around with zero titles, he'll probably be on the hot seat (think about all those Bills teams that couldn't win the super bowl). But it won't be soon.

I believe Cal has left every college job he has had on his own terms, correct? Why would this be any different? I know he knows how special this job is and I don't see him leaving for a long time. Not sure why all the talk about leaving due to violations, etc.........Cal has never been named in any NCAA investigation during his career. I believe he wins multiple championships before he departs.

I won't call for his head as long as he's doing what he's been doing...championship or not.

I sure wont be UK bball is fun again, been a long time.

I won't call for his head as long as he's doing what he's been doing...championship or not.

 

Exactly. This thread is only here because a Louisville fan wants to try and stir the pot.

At some point if he doesn't win one UK fans will start turning up the heat, he still has a long time to go for that to happen though. I would say he can keep up where he is now for a decade without too much pressure. UK fans won't want a Roy Williams at Kansas though, they do want to win the big one and eventually that will show if Cal doesn't.

I believe Cal has left every college job he has had on his own terms, correct? Why would this be any different? I know he knows how special this job is and I don't see him leaving for a long time. Not sure why all the talk about leaving due to violations, etc.........Cal has never been named in any NCAA investigation during his career. I believe he wins multiple championships before he departs.

 

I could see it being just one. If he wins one and gets the right NBA offer he could be gone like Pitino. As much as they hate each other they are a lot alike too. They both know how to work the crowd (well at least Pitino use to know how to), they both know how to utilize talent and for the most part they both seem to be coaches their players love to play for.

At some point if he doesn't win one UK fans will start turning up the heat, he still has a long time to go for that to happen though. I would say he can keep up where he is now for a decade without too much pressure. UK fans won't want a Roy Williams at Kansas though, they do want to win the big one and eventually that will show if Cal doesn't.

 

I'm sure some will grumble and complain, a few may even say they want a new coach, but if he continually brings in 2-4 lotto picks, wins SEC titles, has UK as a perennial top 10 team and makes deep tournament runs, he will leave when he wants to. He won't be fired. Heck, there are people right now that complain and say he can't win a championship and that, in general, you can't win a championship with his formula. Those people are already present.

With this being Coach Cal's third year and with all the talent that he has had in the last two years and failing to win a National Championship, the Wildcats are pre-season #2 and according to many have to be a favorite to win the National Championship this year. If Coach Cal fails to win a National Championship this year, will the AD and Big Blue Nation start calling for Cal's head. :idunno:

 

Yes he's had talent, but to quote the great Al McQuire--"The best thing about a freshman is next year he'll be a sophmore"!! Assuming no trouble, he'll get a few holdovers like Jones this year, and win a championship or two. He'd have won one already for fun if Meeks would have made the right decision and stayed for his senior year. He'd have worn out WV's zone, but that's water under the dam. He stays until trouble or he decides to leave. Given the state of the football program, I'm guessing the AD's in under a lot more heat??

Program was on life support and he saved it over night.
Life support? Come on ...

 

Missing the NCAA tournament for one season doesn't put any program on life support, much less the one at Kentucky. Calipari turned it around, but it's not like he inherited a program at the bottom of the SEC or anything.

Yes he's had talent, but to quote the great Al McQuire--"The best thing about a freshman is next year he'll be a sophmore"!! Assuming no trouble, he'll get a few holdovers like Jones this year, and win a championship or two. He'd have won one already for fun if Meeks would have made the right decision and stayed for his senior year. He'd have worn out WV's zone, but that's water under the dam. He stays until trouble or he decides to leave. Given the state of the football program, I'm guessing the AD's in under a lot more heat??

 

I don't want to steal the thread. But Meeks certainly did make the right decision for himself.

Cal can coach for UK as long as he wants as far as this fan is concerned (barring any trouble from NCAA). He's great for the program, school, and state. He's a wonderful ambassador for all three of those things. Kentucky fans do have really high expectations, but he is certainly meeting them, even if they don't win a title this year.

 

I agree. What was it 3 years ago we was in the NIT before Cal came Kentucky. As far as I am concerned he can stay as long as he wants.

Life support? Come on ...

 

Missing the NCAA tournament for one season doesn't put any program on life support, much less the one at Kentucky. Calipari turned it around, but it's not like he inherited a program at the bottom of the SEC or anything.

 

They were not to far from the bottom, Kentucky did go 8 and 8 and finished in a tie with Vandy for next to last in the SEC East division.

They were not to far from the bottom, Kentucky did go 8 and 8 and finished in a tie with Vandy for next to last in the SEC East division.

 

And I would add to that the loss of the team's leading scorer in Jodie Meeks.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.