Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Define - Running Up the Score

Featured Replies

So do you feel the "mercy rule" in baseball/softball isn't right either?

 

Feel free to explain those rules to me. I'm not familiar.

 

In little league baseball , if a team gets up so many runs , they call the game . Somebody correct me ,in Boone county I think it's 15 runs .

  • Replies 43
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In little league baseball , if a team gets up so many runs , they call the game . Somebody correct me ,in Boone county I think it's 15 runs .

 

Not just little league.

Baseball's different as it's an untimed game. Could go on forever.

I don't see much difference in 43-0 and 41-0, I think way to much is made of running up the score, and almost always by the losing team. The only thing in my book that is uncalled for with a big lead is an on side kick.

If the score is over 40 something, running clock in the mid 3rd quarter. End of the 3rd quarter with a running clock.

I don't believe in the "running up the score".....if I bet you by over 50, you should have prepared better and it's my job to win games. If you bet me by 50+ then I should have prepared better, etc.

 

Just be smart and make sure the starters aren't in winning you are up large, therefore there aren't any unnecessary injuries.

 

How many white russians did you have last night???

[/b]

 

How many white russians did you have last night???

 

Actually, I didn't have any, but it sure looks like it:lol:

If your starters are still in the ballgame after the first couple of scores, in the third quarter and you have a sizable lead, then....... You are running up the score. (sizable is four td's or more).

Deliberately trying to embarrass the opponent by continuing to score when the outcome has been determined. I define this as onside kicks, trick plays, deep passes trying to score, calling time-outs, fast-tempo no huddle, or simply not subbing when a team has enough to do so. In high school and below I have a problem with this. In college & NFL I don't have a problem in the world with it, but I do think a coach is dumb for risking injuries.

 

That said I have no problem with a team trying to continue to get first downs. I have no problem with letting the young guys air it out a little in the games where both teams have subs in and the subs are evenly matched. I wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't feel embarrassed if a team did it to me.

:banana:This has to be the best reply to a thread ever on this site, or at least in the to 5-10. The reasons are the historical context behind the reply, and the simple fact that he is dead right. There is no clear cut definition of running up the score, and every scenario of scoring during a blowout is different. You have to see the actual gameplay and coaching to determine running up the score.

 

I agree with another poster, first 3 quarters are fair game.

Running it up - when you are up by 50 with the first string still in on offense throwing the ball trying to score again and with the first string still in on defense because you are a spineless coach and need some humble pie

Pulled your starters when you hit a running clock, but you can't tell the subs not to score.

 

Bingo!!!!:lol:

Feel free to explain those rules to me. I'm not familiar.

 

Really?

 

Baseball is 10 after five. Softball is 15 after three or 10 after five.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.