May 8, 201115 yr This draft could be one of the worst ever, IMO. I'm not sure if Liggins will get drafted or not but he has a much better chance this year then next, again IMO. Where is he being projected in this draft?
May 9, 201115 yr Author This draft could be one of the worst ever, IMO. I'm not sure if Liggins will get drafted or not but he has a much better chance this year then next, again IMO. Where is he being projected in this draft? Mid to late 2nd round.
May 9, 201115 yr I'm selfish, so this sucks. But really, I wish DeAndre a long successful career... No matter where he plays.
May 9, 201115 yr He should be able to have a nice career overseas. He really got a lot better under Cal. Sad to see him go.
May 9, 201115 yr I really had hoped he would come back but I don't blame him one bit for leaving. The kid has had a rough stretch of life and he's pretty much turned many negatives into positives. He's determined to take it to the next level and if he continues to improve his game like he did in Lexington he will cash quite a few checks.
May 9, 201115 yr Author It is official now. Liggins to remain in NBA draft. Press conference got cancelled.
May 9, 201115 yr :lol: might wanna get a new source my man! You may be right--Don't like the "presser" to announce?? If so, I'll be glad to gobble up that crow.
May 9, 201115 yr KSR saying press conference is cancelled and Cal wishing Liggins the best in the pros--Hope the feathers don't get stuck in my throat?? :idunno:
May 9, 201115 yr It is official now. Liggins to remain in NBA draft. Press conference got cancelled. If this is true , who would have thought that Jones was the one that would return to the Cats next season ?
May 9, 201115 yr DeAndre Liggins “Coach (Calipari) encouraged me to come back for my senior season, but based on the feedback I got from NBA personnel, I felt it was in the best interests of me and family to stay in the draft,” Liggins said. “I learned a lot in my three years here at Kentucky, and I appreciate all the support I got from the people at UK as well as the Big Blue Nation.” Coach Cal on the decision: "I feel comfortable that DeAndre had all the information that he needed to make this decision. I fully support what he’s doing and I will do everything I can to help him reach his dreams."
May 9, 201115 yr See I think otherwise on this. I don't think his stock will get any higher than this year, plus unless they put the 2 year rule in. Then next years draft is going to be completely loaded. He also realizes they have one of the best players in the country coming in who plays the same spot as him in Gilchrist. Then he also will have Miller in front of him, and then still Lamb competing with Lamb too for minutes. He wouldn't get as much minutes, and his numbers probably would be down. I wish he would come back, but this probably is his best chance of playing pro ball somewhere. I totally respect that opinion and I have weighed those same thoughts pretty heavily. It's a gamble I guess you can say, but I definitely see where your coming from on that. I think it could have potentially been a watered down version of Patrick Patterson's draft stock improvement. Even if Liggins is limited in minutes, what if he shows these teams some things they would like to see out of him. They know he can get certain numbers and play at a high level defensively on a team he's playing big minutes for. BUT, can he come back, maybe have less minutes, less scoring average but improve his stock? Say DeAndre comes back and shows some high level three point shooting ability, he raises his stock a dozen picks alone. He hit some big three's this season but if he could come back and shoot at a high percentage then it would help his stock. Say he shows them better decision making or better passing ability. A nice pull up jumper, I mean any parts of his game he can improve in over the course of the next year. Think of Pat, he was a paint monster his first two seasons. Cal brings him back, Pat improves his range, hits some perimeter shots and improves upon his overall ability and in turn more teams are wanting to use a pick on someone like that. Right now Liggins is looking mid second round at best, teams are going to draft him on his defense because at the NBA level his offensive game isn't going to be on par. If he came back and showed he could be a key player and play a big role on a championship caliber team I think he could move high second round. If he came back with a more diversified offensive game and showed more consistent play I think it would help his cause tremendously. He's improved after every season so theres no reason for me to believe his ability will plateau. I think one more season could show some of these NBA teams some of the things they may be looking for Liggins to improve right now.
May 9, 201115 yr Drummond said it best tonight. He brought some swagger back to UK which was greatly needed. It doesn't always make some comfortable but it's a huge part of sports.
May 9, 201115 yr Drummond said it best tonight. He brought some swagger back to UK which was greatly needed. It doesn't always make some comfortable but it's a huge part of sports. Liggins is an emotional loss for UK. Would have been a great role player for next seasons team. I hope Cal took notes in the makeup of this last year's team and their ability to put things together with a mix of talents and not just stars. Liggins grew exponentially from his first days in Lexingon.
May 9, 201115 yr Hope he does well. I wish he had come back, but I agree that his stock may be as high as it will get.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.