UK Shirt Made Me Laugh

Watusi

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on oldrambler...you are asking a twentysomething year old to respect a past he said already said he respected. Quit being so sensitive. He is going out of his way to explain where he is coming from. You just disagree that he believes Duke has been a better program than UK for as long as he can remember. UCLA has more championships than anyone yet I never hear anyone talk about UCLA when it comes to great programs. I hear UK, UNC, Kansas, Duke and Indiana in that order most times. Out of those top 5 teams please I beg you to tell me which one has been the best since 1980. That is all he has said. That is all any of us have said. Forgive us for not living through the time period when UK was feared. I wasn't born then.

I was basically having some fun with GRC seeing how he made it sound like he was the only one that had any knowledge at all on here. Being sensitive? :lol:. Far from it....pot, meet kettle :D. I was just making a point while joking around.

Trust me Purple92, with what I have bee through in the last couple of years with things that really matter in life there is very little to nothing going to get to me on here. I think it looks like some others need to not b so sensitive.

You guys are way too sensitive. You can degrade me, tell me I don't know anything about history, or say whatever you want. This is a prime example why some UK fans get the rep that they do, they will not agree or even acknowledge the other side if it does not suit them. I am not one of those that hates UK fans, because that is what my family and friends are and I even root for them as well. But, this is exactly why there are a ton of people who do not like UK fans because of this. The fact is I know quite a bit about history and I respect it as has already been stated whether you want to acknowledge that or not. With that said, it is perfectly normal to care more about what has happened that you can relate to compared to things that have happened before your time. That is no knock on history, just my personal feelings.

As for my first couple posts in this thread, I can see why I'm getting attacked. That was just my firing back at others in this post. But, continue to attack me, it's all good.

I have to be honest as a fellow young guy I think that's a sad attitude to have about it. The only things that matter are what happened in your lifetime? I don't get it, because I think consciously or subconsciously it's skewing the argument in the direction that favors the team you like. Let's say Duke & UK switched histories, whether you admit it or not, I would almost guarantee your opinion would change.

Now if we were talking football and an Army fan was talking about having more history than say Florida, I would tend to agree more with the Gator fans because Army hasn't been relevant in decades & there is no true National Champion. But in basketball we have one champion, and it's basically always been decided the same way give or take a game or two in the tourney.

I'll say this right now I believe that Duke & UNC are the two premier programs going because of their continued success the last two decades. But don't discount UK's history simply because you didn't live to see it. Historically speaking there is no relevant argument anyone could possibly make that would say UK is not a better program overall than Duke, if the entire history is looked at.

Is Wilt Chamberlain less great because you didn't see him play? Unitas? Babe Ruth? Oscar Robertson or Pistol Pete?

Again, I did not say that the only things that matter only happened in my lifetime.

Again, I did not say that the only things that matter only happened in my lifetime.

How about the part where you said UK's old championships were less relevant because they happened "50 years ago"? Or where you said you put more stock into stuff that happened in your lifetime. I guess my buddies newborn will have to say that UConn or Butler is the premier program of today?

I'm not overly sensitive about UK when it comes to this, I just think if the roles were reversed you would have a different slant to it. And I'm not saying alot of UK fans wouldn't if the roles were reversed. But I hate when anyone says they truly love sports and disregard the history of the game. That's JMO.

I think UK is over rated. Once again a Big East team sends em home. All this talk about their so called "Tradition". How many titles in the passed 15 years?

2 since 1996. How many does your team have?

I was basically having some fun with GRC seeing how he made it sound like he was the only one that had any knowledge at all on here. Being sensitive? :lol:. Far from it....pot, meet kettle :D. I was just making a point while joking around.

Trust me Purple92, with what I have bee through in the last couple of years with things that really matter in life there is very little to nothing going to get to me on here. I think it looks like some others need to not b so sensitive.

Far from being sensitive. Just looking out for a fellow fan of Duke, I was on my iphone and it's a drag using smilies on there sometimes so the context of my post may have been hard to take. Trust me, when I get sensitive I go for the jugular and become irrational. Kind of like my wife.:sssh::D

Apparently some UK fans got Bobby Hurley to sign it at the Final Four:

Okay.....someone hates Duke and Laettner enough to sport a shirt saying yet they get Bobby Hurley's autograph on the shirt? Now I am confused. I like John Wall but I wouldn't get his or any Wildcats autograph if my life depended on it.:ohbrother:

Obviously they don't hate Laettner enough.:lol::lol:

How about the part where you said UK's old championships were less relevant because they happened "50 years ago"? Or where you said you put more stock into stuff that happened in your lifetime. I guess my buddies newborn will have to say that UConn or Butler is the premier program of today?

I'm not overly sensitive about UK when it comes to this, I just think if the roles were reversed you would have a different slant to it. And I'm not saying alot of UK fans wouldn't if the roles were reversed. But I hate when anyone says they truly love sports and disregard the history of the game. That's JMO.

I truly love sports but I put more stock in stuff that I have seen and heard in my lifetime. I think all sports are better in my lifetime. Do I disregard the history? I say no. I just care a whole lot more and put more stock about what I have seen and lived through as opposed to what I have seen black and white highlight clips of.

I have to be honest as a fellow young guy I think that's a sad attitude to have about it. The only things that matter are what happened in your lifetime? I don't get it, because I think consciously or subconsciously it's skewing the argument in the direction that favors the team you like. Let's say Duke & UK switched histories, whether you admit it or not, I would almost guarantee your opinion would change.

Now if we were talking football and an Army fan was talking about having more history than say Florida, I would tend to agree more with the Gator fans because Army hasn't been relevant in decades & there is no true National Champion. But in basketball we have one champion, and it's basically always been decided the same way give or take a game or two in the tourney.

I'll say this right now I believe that Duke & UNC are the two premier programs going because of their continued success the last two decades. But don't discount UK's history simply because you didn't live to see it. Historically speaking there is no relevant argument anyone could possibly make that would say UK is not a better program overall than Duke, if the entire history is looked at.

Is Wilt Chamberlain less great because you didn't see him play? Unitas? Babe Ruth? Oscar Robertson or Pistol Pete?

Less great? No. But their mystique is lost on me. I wasn't there.

Okay.....someone hates Duke and Laettner enough to sport a shirt saying yet they get Bobby Hurley's autograph on the shirt? Now I am confused. I like John Wall but I wouldn't get his or any Wildcats autograph if my life depended on it.:ohbrother:

Obviously they don't hate Laettner enough.:lol::lol:

That doesn't make any sense to me.

I never said they were less relevant because they happened 50 years ago. I explained why I didn't value them as much as I do championships now because of the quantity of games they had to play in the big dance and gave my reasons for that. Granted, I didn't know some of the facts that has been presented in this thread since then. I also said I "put more stock" into things that have happened in my lifetime because I can relate to those things better. Never once did I say I didn't respect the past and history of sports because that would be a lie if I said that.

I also would tend to agree with you that my view could very well be reversed if the situations were reversed. But we'll never know. I just don't get how I'm disregarding the history of the game when I said I acknowledge and respect everything in the past. I just value things that have happened in my lifetime and I can relate to.

That doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't like UK basketball. Why would I get a current or former UK player's autograph like a UK fan got Bobby Hurley to do? That doesn't make any sense to me. Especially if I am going to buy a shirt expressing that hate. I would think that whoever buys an 'I still hate Laettner shirt' still hates Duke yet you get a Bobby Hurley autograph on the shirt? That makes no sense to me.