Do Duke fans hate UK the way UK fans hate Duke

jericho

Whether looking at the historic/traditional powerhouses - UCLA, Kansas, North Carolina, Kentucky, etc. - or teams that have been hotter lately, Duke is easily the most hated. If people hate successful programs or "top dogs" then they would also hate these other teams commensurately and they do not. Duke inspires a lot of animosity that can't be attributed to success alone.

See; documentary: Fab Five...

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know plenty of fans from other fan bases as well and I disagree. So what's the point?
I don't disagree that Duke isn't generally well-liked, but it's especially so with Kentucky fans. Some would say inordinately so, as would I.

And the vast majority of it is based on a game that was played 19 freakin' years ago.

I don't disagree that Duke isn't generally well-liked, but it's especially so with Kentucky fans. Some would say inordinately so, as would I.

And the vast majority of it is based on a game that was played 19 freakin' years ago.

Exactamundo. Case in point: A co-worker and I were discussing that silly game (you know, the one that means jack in the grand scheme of things), and we discussed Laettner and "The Shot" and those sort of things. She came up with the classic argument of "I'm not mad because he hit 'The Shot,' I'm mad because he should've been ejected from the game."

However, when pressed on the issue, she had no idea who Aminu Timberlake was.

She's not a casual fan. She goes to about a dozen games a year at Rupp, if not more.

Duke hasn't even been 'hot' lately. Past the Sweet 16 one time in the last seven years. Sure they won the title but at best that puts them on par with the other teams who have won the title over the same time period.

But you get to choose the number "7"....if you chose 8, it would be two final fours, more sweet 16's, and a title. If you chose 11, you would add another final four, title, sweet 16, etc....

Exactamundo. Case in point: A co-worker and I were discussing that silly game (you know, the one that means jack in the grand scheme of things), and we discussed Laettner and "The Shot" and those sort of things. She came up with the classic argument of "I'm not mad because he hit 'The Shot,' I'm mad because he should've been ejected from the game."

So many people forget that he did get a technical for it. It was a classless thing to do. BUT, if you really want to be mad....be mad that Timberlake didn't get up and start something, maybe both would've been ejected.

I've told this story before, but while living in North Carolina and being around several Duke fans I can guarantee you that several of them dislike UK. Still to this day the most pathetic act I’ve ever seen from a fan came in 2001 from a Duke fan who vandalized my friend’s truck and UK license plate.

Personally I don’t buy the opinions on here from those that have never felt the pulse of a fan base other than UK’s. I’ve lived in Missouri, North Carolina, Kentucky and California and been exposed to every major fan base in the country through the people I’ve been surrounded by, and the one thing I think I’ve learned is all your winning programs have a portion of the fan base that seem like elitist and arrogant as well.

I honestly don't get the hate of UK fans toward any school or coach. The one that baffles me more than any is the extreme hate displayed toward Rick Pitino and Louisville. Where would the UK program be today if it weren't for Coach Pitino? He brought the UK program back pretty much from dead, and made it a national power again. Who cares if he went to an in state rival. A lot of my friends and family say he has no class because of that move. They call him a traitor. The Cats play Louisville once a year, and the game means nothing but state bragging rights. Yet these same people thought nothing of the move of two former UK coaches who went from a SEC rival school to become a Kentucky coach (Bill Curry and Tubby Smith). I can understand UK fans not liking Christian Laettner, but why so much hate toward Duke? Coach K has always been a class act toward UK, and their fans whether he has beaten the Cats, or lost to the Cats. The only honest reason so many UK fans hate Duke so much is because they feel threatened by the Duke program being superior to the Kentucky program. All of these means very little in the grand scheme of things. Get over it, and enjoy life.

Check out this Duke Message board. The question asked was "now that Duke is out who will you guys support". Judging from the responses, it's clear that UK isn't liked at all by the commenting Duke fans, only UNC gets more hate and in a couple of cases Duke fans will be pulling for UNC over UK.http://duke.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1690&tid=156762791&mid=156762791&sid=1021&style=2

I honestly don't get the hate of UK fans toward any school or coach. The one that baffles me more than any is the extreme hate displayed toward Rick Pitino and Louisville. Where would the UK program be today if it weren't for Coach Pitino? He brought the UK program back pretty much from dead, and made it a national power again. Who cares if he went to an in state rival. A lot of my friends and family say he has no class because of that move. They call him a traitor. The Cats play Louisville once a year, and the game means nothing but state bragging rights. Yet these same people thought nothing of the move of two former UK coaches who went from a SEC rival school to become a Kentucky coach (Bill Curry and Tubby Smith). I can understand UK fans not liking Christian Laettner, but why so much hate toward Duke? Coach K has always been a class act toward UK, and their fans whether he has beaten the Cats, or lost to the Cats. The only honest reason so many UK fans hate Duke so much is because they feel threatened by the Duke program being superior to the Kentucky program. All of these means very little in the grand scheme of things. Get over it, and enjoy life.

How would Duke fans feel if Coach K ended up coaching at UNC?

Or if Dean Smith comes out of retirement to coach at Duke?

Yeah, I'm sure at the time that Georgia fans were happy with Tubbys move.