Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kyrie Irving

Featured Replies

Okay, so the first post seems to be somewhat misleading...On the SVP show, they played the clip of Coach K talking about Irving. He said, "Kyrie practiced a little with us today. There is a chance that he could play, but that's a decision that won't be made for a couple more days."

  • Replies 67
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got Duke winning the whole thing because I've always felt Irving would be back for the tourney. Having said that, Tennessee is one of those teams that I'd hate to see in the tournament because if they play at their best they can be as good as anyone. Then again, they can lay a big egg. It's usually one extreme or the other with UT in the tournament.

I've got Duke winning the whole thing because I've always felt Irving would be back for the tourney. Having said that, Tennessee is one of those teams that I'd hate to see in the tournament because if they play at their best they can be as good as anyone. Then again, they can lay a big egg. It's usually one extreme or the other with UT in the tournament.

 

I thought Tenn could beat Duke but not at Charlotte I don't think. Does anyone think in two years that the NCAA will let Louisville play the 1st and 2nd round at Rupp or even down the road when the 1st and 2nd rounds are held in Louisville's new arena the NCAA will let KY play there like the let Duke and NC play so close to home. My guess is no way.

I thought Tenn could beat Duke but not at Charlotte I don't think. Does anyone think in two years that the NCAA will let Louisville play the 1st and 2nd round at Rupp or even down the road when the 1st and 2nd rounds are held in Louisville's new arena the NCAA will let KY play there like the let Duke and NC play so close to home. My guess is no way.

 

Clearly you don't understand how it works. To answer your question, yes. When the "second and third" rounds are in Rupp next (2013), if Louisville is a top 4 seed, they will 100% be playing there (as will Duke, IMO). Vice versa for UK next year in the YUM. You see, the NCAA has a pod system to where they do their best to keep anyone seeded 4 or higher, as close to home as possible. Now, onto more detail, and I really hope that this is the last time I have to explain this (though I am sure it won't be).....How many arenas does the state of Kentucky have that can host a tournament? I'll answer, two. How many in North Carolina? Raliegh, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Charlotte.....guess what? Duke doesn't play at home in any of those arenas. Do you now understand why they always "seem" to be playing in NC? They played in JAX last year, FYI.

Also, didn't UL play at Rupp 4 or 5 years ago?

Clearly you don't understand how it works. To answer your question, yes. When the "second and third" rounds are in Rupp next (2013), if Louisville is a top 4 seed, they will 100% be playing there (as will Duke, IMO). Vice versa for UK next year in the YUM. You see, the NCAA has a pod system to where they do their best to keep anyone seeded 4 or higher, as close to home as possible. Now, onto more detail, and I really hope that this is the last time I have to explain this (though I am sure it won't be).....How many arenas does the state of Kentucky have that can host a tournament? I'll answer, two. How many in North Carolina? Raliegh, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Charlotte.....guess what? Duke doesn't play at home in any of those arenas. Do you now understand why they always "seem" to be playing in NC? They played in JAX last year, FYI.

 

In the words of Billy Madison: "A simple (yes) would have done just fine."

In the words of Billy Madison: "A simple (yes) would have done just fine."

 

Now, does that sound like me?

Also, didn't UL play at Rupp 4 or 5 years ago?

 

The BCG-Edgar Sosa game. Landed him the UK job.

If I knew Irving would be 100% or close, it would significantly alter how I view the brackets.

 

If he wasn't 100% he wouldn't be practicing. Word on Duke message boards was that after he was cleared to practice(which Coach K said he had to be 100% to even practice) his father has the final say on if he could even play. No one except for the blindingly optimistic believe KI is returning next year thus this injury was treated with more due diligence than most. Duke doesn't want to look bad by putting him out there less than 100%. Would ruin any chance of landing any one and done players in the future if he goes out and aggravates the injury by rushing back or being rushed back. KI is wanted back but not needed back and his return and how much he plays is squarely on KI and his father, IMO. It is obvious KI wants to play and is ready and able to play.

Now, does that sound like me?

:D.

If he wasn't 100% he wouldn't be practicing. Word on Duke message boards was that after he was cleared to practice(which Coach K said he had to be 100% to even practice) his father has the final say on if he could even play. No one except for the blindingly optimistic believe KI is returning next year thus this injury was treated with more due diligence than most. Duke doesn't want to look bad by putting him out there less than 100%. Would ruin any chance of landing any one and done players in the future if he goes out and aggravates the injury by rushing back or being rushed back. KI is wanted back but not needed back and his return and how much he plays is squarely on KI and his father, IMO. It is obvious KI wants to play and is ready and able to play.

 

I'm not buying the logic that:

A) Coach K said once that KI wouldn't practice until he's 100%

B) Coach K said this week that KI practiced some with the team

So C) KI must be 100%

 

If he was 100% he would be practicing more than "some," and NO player is going to be 100% before they start practicing.

Most all coaches tell the media anything but what is actually going on.

Didn't say it wouldn't be a good game. Just if Duke plays the way they are capable of, it shouldn't be a nail biter.

 

Can Duke make it through the 6 games it takes to win it without one of them being the shooting exhibition they put on in their loss at UNC? They couldn't shoot it in the ocean that night. That's what knocked UK out last year. It just takes one bad night. And Tennessee is capable of beating them, although I don't think it will happen.

 

And on the Irving thing, I'm kind of in the camp that thinks it could hurt playing him more than it helps. UK would have probably been better off not playing Bogans against Marquette in 2003.

If he wasn't 100% he wouldn't be practicing. Word on Duke message boards was that after he was cleared to practice(which Coach K said he had to be 100% to even practice) his father has the final say on if he could even play. No one except for the blindingly optimistic believe KI is returning next year thus this injury was treated with more due diligence than most. Duke doesn't want to look bad by putting him out there less than 100%. Would ruin any chance of landing any one and done players in the future if he goes out and aggravates the injury by rushing back or being rushed back. KI is wanted back but not needed back and his return and how much he plays is squarely on KI and his father, IMO. It is obvious KI wants to play and is ready and able to play.

 

I'm sure he's 100% healthy. But, I was thinking deeper than that with regards to game shape, rust, team chemistry, etc.

I'm sure he's 100% healthy. But, I was thinking deeper than that with regards to game shape, rust, team chemistry, etc.

That is sort of my hesitation with it all. In Michigan State's title run back in '00, if you remember Mateen Cleaves was hurt at the start of the season. Even once he returned it took the Spartans a few games to regain the swagger which ultimately took them to the promised land. What makes this situation a little different is that Irving does have some rapport with this year's team since he started the season on the court and we are talking arguably the best player in college basketball. Cleaves was good, but not this caliber. Had he only played one or two games I would argue this would negatively impact the team. Jameer Nelson, anyone?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.