Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

When Do Officials Become Responsible?

Featured Replies

Uof L could have done many things that would have made the call meaningless... like make free throws and not pop a 3 at the end (you drive to the basket, make it, get fouled or go to OT). Having said that the officiating WAS poor. After seeing the replay again of the end I have to think the ref was, as Mr. Hand would say, "On dope."

  • Replies 46
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with that statement. I've just always been of the mindset that officials should be accountable for their influence on the game. There have been far worse calls than any we saw today that have greatly impacted the end result of games, and not one official was questioned about it. They are like weathermen, there is no penalty for being wrong.

 

I can see your point as well and I certainly would be for anything that may help "weed out"a bad official/officials. I just think that it would be hard to do/regulate. As another said referees are going to make a bad call/calls on occasion. That is the human element imo there will always be some calls disputed and that will not change. Each conference has officials that call their conferences games. So, in this game (U.L./WVU) I would think that a complaint/complaints on officials should be directed to the Big East office. I may be wrong but I believe that each conference "grades" their officials and handles that type of thing .

Most calls made are judgement calls and not "bottom line rule book calls". One official may see a foul/walking or whatever and get it wrong, you can't stop the game, look at replay on every disputed call. There are no easy answers but imo no matter what a conference/NCAA does to try and improve the problem there will always be bad calls.

Having said all of this that may or may not have made any sense to anyone I will definately agree that there are some officials that probably need to take up another profession....(like broadcasting games and/or writing on how bad the officiating is) :idunno::D

Uof L could have done many things that would have made the call meaningless... like make free throws and not pop a 3 at the end (you drive to the basket, make it, get fouled or go to OT). Having said that the officiating WAS poor.
I agree, in a close game imo the team on the losing end can look at FT'S, turnovers, rebounds,mental mistakes....any number of things and see where the game was won and/or lost.

Never.

 

Good calls and bad calls are made just as shots are made and missed. Everyone has off days.

 

I think the officiating was terrible today. It was terrible both ways. It's easy to say that as I sat at home watching the game on a 50 inch Sony.

 

As fans we can sit and point out every missed call that goes against our team. It's pointless though. At the end of the day, the players and coaches decide the outcome.

 

If knowles doesn't foul, UL goes into overtime against an unimpressive WVU squad with 1, possibly 2 players sitting due to fouls.

Yes. If this was a UK fan complaining about officiating they'd be torn to shreds. I guess it's ok for U of L fans, though. Bad officiating happens all of the time. No reason to complain about it.

 

I've heard plenty of UK fans complain about officiating in games they have lost this season and in others that are too countless to remember. I wouldn't say that one is worst than the other in regards to UK/UL fans; I consider it fairly equal.

I have seen plenty of terrible calls, and badly officiated games over the years. The guys calling the major college conferences are usually the best at their trade though, and if you get rid of them you will more than likely just end up with worse officials.

The foul on Preston should have not been called. The WVU had the ball but could not done anything with it due to the time frame. The offical knew time was running out and gave them a chance to win. I'm an ex offical. We can call a foul everytime down the court...but don't. Let them play it out.

 

But to be fair, Preston cannot be so stupid. His last shot was not a good one. He had time to dish it, even after he shot and missed he had time to run over and foul the guy. yes, I said foul and he did. I just wouldn't have called it.

The foul on Preston should have not been called. The WVU had the ball but could not done anything with it due to the time frame. The offical knew time was running out and gave them a chance to win. I'm an ex offical. We can call a foul everytime down the court...but don't. Let them play it out.

 

But to be fair, Preston cannot be so stupid. His last shot was not a good one. He had time to dish it, even after he shot and missed he had time to run over and foul the guy. yes, I said foul and he did. I just wouldn't have called it.

 

Why not? A foul is a foul is a foul IMO. Each second of a basketball game is no different then the second before.

I've heard plenty of UK fans complain about officiating in games they have lost this season and in others that are too countless to remember. I wouldn't say that one is worst than the other in regards to UK/UL fans; I consider it fairly equal.

 

Where did I say UK fans don't complain about officiating? Everyone does, but no one should.

I might have been wrong, after futher review I saw the photo in the C-J and he got him pretty good. On TV its of course not like being there, so I might have called the foul also. I didn't think it was that hard at first. Corndog, did you see where I said "I could call a foul every time down the court," you have to let some of it go. I thought Preston was going for the ball. In your case every game would last 3 hours.

Yes. If this was a UK fan complaining about officiating they'd be torn to shreds. I guess it's ok for U of L fans, though. Bad officiating happens all of the time. No reason to complain about it.

 

So true.

I think it's a great question. Whether people want to admit it or not, officiating often has a huge impact on the game. Unfortunately, nobody wants to be labeled as a crybaby, so they don't feel comfortable bringing it up. It also seems that basketball, more than any other sport IMO, is affected by officials. The NBA is a great example. I think the officals played a huge role in the NBA Finals last season.

 

Another issue is injuries. You can't use injuries as an excuse, everybody has injuries. Well, not everybody has the same amount of injuries or injuries to the same quality of personnel. It does affect your team. Just like poor officiating.

 

But, if you bring it up, you're just making excuses. Personally, I don't ask that officials be perfect. Consistency is the only thing I want and I don't feel like that is delivered as much as it should be.

I think it's a great question. Personally, I don't ask that officials be perfect. Consistency is the only thing I want and I don't feel like that is delivered as much as it should be.

 

Good post :thumb:.This is a fair statement. I pretty much agreed with most if not all of your post but your first an last sentences sums it up.

I also think the timing of a missed call is where we as fans put most of our focus.

 

A missed foul call in the first 5 minutes of the game doesn't seem that bad, that same missed foul call with 15 seconds left in a tie game seems terrible. Although both calls were missed, fans tend to focus in on the call in the closing seconds.

I might have been wrong, after futher review I saw the photo in the C-J and he got him pretty good. On TV its of course not like being there, so I might have called the foul also. I didn't think it was that hard at first. Corndog, did you see where I said "I could call a foul every time down the court," you have to let some of it go. I thought Preston was going for the ball. In your case every game would last 3 hours.

If Knowles had somehow got the ball on that play and turned and made a shot then how would you feel about letting the foul go.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.