Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

When Do Officials Become Responsible?

Featured Replies

I know, I know... This dead horse has been beaten to death and back 100 times. But it really eats at me. Today's (UL) game was the most poorly officiated game, BOTH WAYS, that I've seen this year. When do officials become accountable? When do they have to answer for their games, when every other person involved does? Thoughts?

  • Replies 46
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a question.......would you have started this thread had L'ville won today?

  • Author
Just a question.......would you have started this thread had L'ville won today?

 

Was considering starting it at halftime, but figured I'd let it play out... Any more questions?

Always has been and always will be that way Deuce, the officiating in that game was awful. JMO but no matter how you try to test it there will always be games like this. There imo are far more well officiated games than not.

  • Author
Always has been and always will be that way Deuce, the officiating in that game was awful. JMO but no matter how you try to test it there will always be games like this. There imo are far more well officiated games than not.

 

I agree with that statement. I've just always been of the mindset that officials should be accountable for their influence on the game. There have been far worse calls than any we saw today that have greatly impacted the end result of games, and not one official was questioned about it. They are like weathermen, there is no penalty for being wrong.

Was considering starting it at halftime, but figured I'd let it play out... Any more questions?

 

That's probably what I'd say too.

  • Author
That's probably what I'd say too.

 

Oh I'm sorry, did you have something to contribute?

Oh I'm sorry, did you have something to contribute?

 

Yes. If this was a UK fan complaining about officiating they'd be torn to shreds. I guess it's ok for U of L fans, though. Bad officiating happens all of the time. No reason to complain about it.

  • Author
Yes. If this was a UK fan complaining about officiating they'd be torn to shreds. I guess it's ok for U of L fans, though.

 

Did you even read my initial post? I said the officiating was terrible BOTH ways... And no if it was UK I wouldn't have started the thread, because I obviously don't watch UK games as often as UL... Keep reaching.

Did you even read my initial post? I said the officiating was terrible BOTH ways... And no if it was UK I wouldn't have started the thread, because I obviously don't watch UK games as often as UL... Keep reaching.

 

I did. And if it's bad both ways, why worry about it?

  • Author
I did. And if it's bad both ways, why worry about it?

 

So if officiating is SO terrible that it affects the outcome of ballgames, it doesn't matter as long as its equally terrible both ways? Officials get a free pass for being awful as long as they are completely awful? I don't agree with that at all...

So if officiating is SO terrible that it affects the outcome of ballgames, it doesn't matter as long as its equally terrible both ways? Officials get a free pass for being awful as long as they are completely awful? I don't agree with that at all...

 

If they're that bad they'll be removed of their duties as an official. They can have bad games just like a player and a coach. Bad officiating is part of the game. I think complaining at the time of a bad call/calls is ok. I don't think you can blame an entire outcome of a game on an official ever.

  • Author
If they're that bad they'll be removed of their duties as an official. They can have bad games just like a player and a coach.

 

Agree to disagree then. Officials as of late, IMO, have tried too hard to become a part of the game, instead of laying back. In the discussion of a good college basketball game, the referees shouldn't even be mentioned. The 10 kids on the court should be the only ones affecting the outcome of the game, not the three men in stripes.

If this was a UK fan complaining about officiating they'd be torn to shreds. I guess it's ok for U of L fans, though.

 

:thumb:

Agree to disagree then. Officials as of late, IMO, have tried too hard to become a part of the game, instead of laying back. In the discussion of a good college basketball game, the referees shouldn't even be mentioned. The 10 kids on the court should be the only ones affecting the outcome of the game, not the three men in stripes.

 

As long as refereeing is done by a human there will always be errors, like it or not. If you think they're trying to become part of the game, that's your opinion and that's fine. But just because they're making bold or aggressive calls and they happen to be incorrect doesn't mean it's an issue in the game. It's always going to happen.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.