January 25, 201115 yr As I mentioned in the earlier thread, I don't think the recruits' mothers (or fathers for that matter) would want their boys exposed to that kind of language. I know I certainly wouldn't for my child. A coach should be able to obtain the same emphasis without using such offensive words.
January 25, 201115 yr As I mentioned in the earlier thread, I don't think the recruits' mothers (or fathers for that matter) would want their boys exposed to that kind of language. I know I certainly wouldn't for my child. A coach should be able to obtain the same emphasis without using such offensive words. What coach would you suggest they play for then?
January 25, 201115 yr A coach that doesn't call a freshman a m.f. on national TV. I'm not opposed to the coach getting angry, but his choice of words.
January 25, 201115 yr As I mentioned in the earlier thread, I don't think the recruits' mothers (or fathers for that matter) would want their boys exposed to that kind of language. I know I certainly wouldn't for my child. A coach should be able to obtain the same emphasis without using such offensive words. I am sure they have heard much worse at school and from some of their friends.
January 25, 201115 yr There is no reason any HS coach should have to lose control to the point where they use profanity to get their point across. I would lose respect for my coach if he dropped F Bombs at me in HS. Do you think Dale Meuller uses it to get his point across? I highly doubt it !
January 25, 201115 yr I'd say that it is inappropriate on the high school level unless it is done privately in the locker room.
January 30, 201115 yr I have a problem with it at High School level. Come college level,perhaps you should learn to let the skin thicken a bit before you get into the pro game,whatever sport it may be. As bad as Bob Knight,Cal and some of the others mentioned may be, they would have to bow low at the altar of Earl Weaver,whose antics I got to witness frequently in the 70's. The big difference then and now is that the TV cameramen had enough sense to stay far enough away so that lip reading was impossible.
January 31, 201115 yr I can't think of a situation where an F-bomb is okay if directed at a high school, or below, student-athlete. I'm struggling to recall any coach of mine dropping an F-bomb, ever. As a parent, I wouldn't make a big deal about a varsity coach dropping an F-bomb, calling a child a name with an F-bomb, different story.
February 4, 201115 yr I never heard any HS coach that I had swear toward a student. They may have said something about how a play went and used some colorful language but never directed at a student. I did however go to some college basketball practices and I saw an assistant coach berate, swear, call out and say things I would never say to anybody or anything all because the guy did not box out. I thought the guy was going to cry right there on the floor. That being said if you go to college you go by choice and if you choose to play for a coach that you know is hard on his players then you have to deal with what is coming. With all this being said, I have a question.........What if this was girls basketball and a male coach was swearing at the female player? Would there be as much of an outcry or more? Is this a double standard and is that OK?
February 5, 201115 yr Coach Cal drops the F-bomb on TV and we hear about it for weeks... Coach K dropped it on TV during the St. Johns game and we hear hardly anything... Is there some sort of double standard??
February 6, 201115 yr Heck... this is nothing! There was a recent online documentary about the Miami Northwestern high school football team that showed an assistant coach physically assaulting one of his players. Regarding foul language, here's a question for those who've played football... does a coach yelling profanity help motivate a player, or get him to play harder?
October 19, 201114 yr Coach Cal drops the F-bomb on TV and we hear about it for weeks... Coach K dropped it on TV during the St. Johns game and we hear hardly anything... Is there some sort of double standard?? Your bias blinds you from the fact that these were two different scenarios. Cal calls a player a name and uses two expletives to call Jones out of his name. K asked what they were doing and injects an expletive. K didn't call a player out of his name on camera for the world to see. He just said a bad word.
October 19, 201114 yr Your bias blinds you from the fact that these were two different scenarios. Cal calls a player a name and uses two expletives to call Jones out of his name. K asked what they were doing and injects an expletive. K didn't call a player out of his name on camera for the world to see. He just said a bad word. Bias,in this world? :idunno: It's more like it is never funny till it is about you thing. SOME will make a big deal out of something small and let the big ones go...we all have witnessed it, but that's life.
October 19, 201114 yr Old topic, I wonder what spindoc's opinion on this was however?Not sure why my opinion on this matters?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.