Highlands/Simon Kenton 2011

tdyballgame

Bottom line, SK has not been in a position to challenge Highlands. They had a nice team the last two years but I don't think they would have given Highlands a game and the coaches no that. If you are a top tier program then you will take on top tier teams. I'm by no means a Highlands fan but I have to give credit where credit is due. They have taken on some big boys and continue to challenge themselves. SK is not even close to that level and its kind of funny that a lot of blow hearts even have people talking about it.

Schedule the game and then I think SK will beg out again after 1 or 2 games.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you would replace the coach who actually brought some sort of credibility to Independence? That's not surprising coming from you.

I question his play calling against Ryle. Coach Mcdonald was the head coach during the Cooper game and the play calling was excellent plus he is a SK grad.

I question his play calling against Ryle. Coach Mcdonald was the head coach during the Cooper game and the play calling was excellent plus he is a SK grad.

What does him being an SK grad have to do with anything.

Rick Thompson is a Highlands grad but do you honestly think he'd have the same success as Dale if he were the head coach at Highlands during Dale's tenure?

What does him being an SK grad have to do with anything.

Rick Thompson is a Highlands grad but do you honestly think he'd have the same success as Dale if he were the head coach at Highlands during Dale's tenure?

Uhhhhhhh......no!!!

I think it should be kept in mind that not too long ago Simon Kenton was basically a total non-factor in NKY, and over the past few years they have made amazing strides. They advanced all the way to the state title game in 2008, beating Male along the way. Last year, they gave eventual state champ St. X all they could handle and may very well have been the second-best team in 6A that year. This year, they head into the final game of the regular season with only two losses: an opening-week loss to a team that's probably the third-best team in the Cincy area this year and an overtime loss to Ryle. This whole season they've been considered a top-three team in NKY. I don't know if SK will be able to maintain this level of success (I hope they do), but it has been a remarkable turnaround!

It sounds like HHS and SK will probably not be playing each other next year. Hopefully, SK will continue making strides and HHS will continue with their level of success, and in a few years perhaps these two programs will play and it will be the highlight of the NKY prep football season!

The way I heard it was that SK wanted to get HHS back on the schedule three years ago but the boys from the hill dodged the Simpson led team but agreed to play Ryle twice......bet they want SK back on the schedules (sans Simpson) and will duck Ryle - with Elliot for the next two seasons.

They didnt duck SK with Simpson not sure where you heard that but its not true. I think it would have been a whale of a game last season and would have loved to been in the stands for it but no way Dale ducks anyone. They took on the likes of Colerain and St. X in the last couple years and SK was in no way whatsoever any better or more intimidating than those teams.

The way I heard it was that SK wanted to get HHS back on the schedule three years ago but the boys from the hill dodged the Simpson led team but agreed to play Ryle twice......bet they want SK back on the schedules (sans Simpson) and will duck Ryle - with Elliot for the next two seasons.

Awesome post. Highlands dodged SK to play St X. Makes sense.

Hey tdy, who was it that called "bulldog" that could get a game done over the "air?"

I'd assume someone close to Dale and his staff.

Actually the caller was one of our very own bgpers. TEDFROMVILLAHILLS. LOL. If memory serves me correctly, I believe this is the same TEDFROMVILLAHILLS that blew up Tom Gamble on one of the talk shows yrs ago. Hes a sorta a no nonsense kind of guy and gets his point across immediately. Go Birds 20n10

When was the last time SK and Highlands met and what was the outcome?

Last game occurred on October 30th of 1998. SK was on a four game winning streak, all district games. They actually beat CovCath for the first time ever a few games prior. SK played a very good game against HHS but fell short 28-12. For those with a memory, that was the high octane Lorenzen/Smith led offense. I think Dale coined that team is most talented, fastest team ever. Here we are 13 seasons later and every HHS has been labeled the same. lol