Kellen Smith

I'd say some of the in-state schools missed the boat letting him get away. Kid can play.
I agree, Kellen is a great kid that would be an asset to many programs.

Part of the problem at home is that Kentucky has fewer options than many other states. We have six Division I schools, that all compete at a high level... or intend to. This requires large and/or extremely athletic bodies (usually both.) There are many players right on that bubble with the size and athleticism to make these teams, but not quite the tools to be key players within those systems. They're faced with choosing to appease their egos and hype and going D-I, or being mature, and choosing a school where they will gain a great education and be able to have a greater impact for their team.

It all boils down to what the kid wants. Some are content to sit the bench four seasons just to be a Wildcat, Cardinal or Hilltopper and only touching the floor during warm-ups and after a victory is well settled. UK has a long line of these players. Kids that were heroes on their high school teams, but lucky to get a minute or two on the floor for the Wildcats. Others understand that the NBA is a distant dream, and a solid education with no college debt is a wise choice. If they can do that in a program, where they will have a shot at being a key competitor for four years… all the better.

Kentucky only has four D-II schools statewide, whereas other states like NC and PA have more than 20 each. In terms of recruiting, every D-II coach is looking for D-I caliber players.

There are only four D-III schools statewide... (which I know cannot "technically" offer athletic schollys, but they do recruit players and put competitive teams on the court.) Some states have over 50 D-III schools. There just aren't as many opportunities inside Kentucky below the D-I level.

The one area Kentucky stands out is the NAIA level with 14 schools. Some are highly competitive. Happy Osborne has built a career at Georgetown by welcoming disillusioned D-I recruits to the NAIA level. NAIA schools can offer athletic scholarships, but generally have much less money to work with than NCAA schools. NAIA coaches generally have to decide if they “really” want a couple of players, or if they need to spread the money between several, hoping that a couple rise to the challenge.

The bottom line is, it takes a very special student-athlete to earn a “full ride” at any level. :thumb: