The Real View of Northern Kentucky Football

Keep It Real

Maybe, I just don't give any credence to fans' opinions when it is in regards to a rather disappointing football town. Particularly 6A.

I know you're supporting a year in and year out contender and hopefully talking only 6A. I agree 6A is not that strong up here compared to the ville with Trinity and X but it is a respectable district full of good football. I don't understand how you can say it is a disappointing football town when we have 3 legit contenders for titles every year up here.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you're supporting a year in and year out contender and hopefully talking only 6A. I agree 6A is not that strong up here compared to the ville with Trinity and X but it is a respectable district full of good football. I don't understand how you can say it is a disappointing football town when we have 3 legit contenders for titles every year up here.

I think RP may have been referring to the post concerning Lexington as a bad 6A football town. That should probably be a thread of its own - the real view of Fayette County football. I would like to see a discussion on that, mainly in reference to the big schools in Lexington.

I think, as a whole, nky football is actually pretty good.

Realistically, the top 3 teams in every district up here would be able to win or atleast finish second in a lot of other districts around the state.

Our 5A district of Covcath, Highlands, Dixie, and Scott is a prime example. Scott gave Johnson Central all they wanted last year, despite being the doormat here in NKY. Highlands is Highlands and both Covcath and Dixie likely win any other district in the state, outside of maybe the Johnson Central/Ashland district and possibly the Bowling Green/Christian Co district.

6A seems to be our "weak link" in the chain, but these teams would still beat a lot of other 6A teams around the state.

Hell, even our 2A district with Newcath, Newport, and Holy Cross isn't that bad for that class. Newport has consistently gave other teams' district champs a game every year and Holy Cross and Newcath are usually sure wins in the first round of the playoffs.

1A is always going to be good with Bellevue and Beechwood. Both always perform well against their own class. Brossart and Walton have recently improved and I see that trend continuing over the years as the Walton area continues to grow/develop, and Brossart becomes more established.

In 4A, Holmes is a legit contender this year. Boyle, Bell, and Lone Oak are the only 3 teams in 4A that are better than Holmes...IMO, of course. They have D1 talent, speed, size, and tons of athleticism. They may not beat the big schools or a program like Highlands, but statewide they would compete with and beat anyone in their class.

My opinion....NKY football is pretty good when you look at how they perform on a state wide level. Things are very competitive up here. Whether that's because of mediocrity or not...only time will tell. The playoffs aren't that far away.

:lol: Kind of reminds you of Rainman, doesn't he? ... Boxer shorts at K-mart. Yeah. K-mart. Boxer shorts at K-mart. Uh oh. Simon Kenton. Yeah. Simon Kenton. Ryle stinks. Yeah. Simon Kenton will beat Ryle. Yeah ....

That sounds more like Bevis and Butthead.

I think RP may have been referring to the post concerning Lexington as a bad 6A football town. That should probably be a thread of its own - the real view of Fayette County football. I would like to see a discussion on that, mainly in reference to the big schools in Lexington.

I completely missed that one, I see it now. I thought RP was talking about NKY and got extremely confused on that.

Hey Keep it real, how can u say the rest of 1a is bad? Mayfield is undefeated, returns 15 starters, has beat 3rd ranked Paducah Tilghman of 3a, and rarely has to play its starters over a half as of yet, outside of the PT game! They are not as explosive as last years team but they are VERY solid on defense and defense wins titles. I dont know how they might fare against Louisville Holy Cross, Beechwood, HAazard, or Lexongton Christian but Mayfield is a very solid team this year!

You must be lost. My opinions are based solely on teams in Northern Kentucky.

I think RP may have been referring to the post concerning Lexington as a bad 6A football town. That should probably be a thread of its own - the real view of Fayette County football. I would like to see a discussion on that, mainly in reference to the big schools in Lexington.[/QUOTE]

I just started a thread on it for you. Look forward to reading the posts there too.

Nky has very good football but hardly ever is there a legit condender. Ryle was 4 or 5 years ago when they went to state. Boone was 3 years ago. Other than that there are no condenders in 6A, especially this year. Boone is falling each year due to the head coach. Conner is Conner, they play nobody, boost up the record a bit and get nowhere. Sk had 2 good seasons, other than that, who is Simon Kenton? And Ryle is making strides in the right direction each year. Injuries have hurt this year and I don't think they have reached there expectations quite yet but they will. Cooper is on the rise but not yet there. And CC I have no anwer for. In 5A Highlands is Highlands. They know how to win, they have the best coaches, they're GOOD. In my opionion best in the state. Yes in front of X and T. Dixie is overrated every year. There is no commitment or dicipline there. Just plenty of individuals.

Ding, ding, ding....Lexington is clearly the most disappointing region in the state for football.

Long time lurker and long time observer of high school football in northern Kentucky.

I think many from downstate would get the feeling that football in northern Kentucky is really good. It's OK but it's not really good.

Highlands has yet to be tested and probably won't be tested until they reach the finals. How good are they we don't really know. We thought Ryle would give a good indication but that probably isn't true. Are they as good as last year's team? Probably not even though they still might win the 5A.

Covington Catholic is the same old team as the Dave Brossart team just with a coach that the fans seem to like better. Still not winning big games. Bad, bad defense. How good is the staff Wurth has hired? Is that the problem? Not much depth for a program with great history. Are they OK with .500 records and a nice coach?

Who knows how good Ryle can be with the way they call plays. How can college coaches look at a kid and offer him Division 1 scholarships yet Ryle choose not to use him? It's not like Pike where they aren't sure what position he is going to play in collge. The kid is only going to be a qb. We see that they aren't sure what's going on since they demoted their OC.

The rest of 6A is just average or weak. Simon Kenton is solid but not a contender or threat to the Louisville schools. Conner has gone backwards after last year's class left. Boone County fans get what they deserve since they just let the program continue to flounder. Cooper is on the rise but not there yet. Campbell County seems like implosion is near.

Dixie gets what they deserve since they have their knee-jerk response of "hey we're in with Highlands and Covington Catholic". Nice coach but a program that doesn't seem like they have the commitment.

The positive I will throw out is in regards to Newport Catholic and Holy Cross. I like their teams.

Beechwood is down. Not sure why. Maybe Rick Shumate has convicned enough boys that they don't have to do football year round and they can have fun in basketball.

I guess I should add Brossart and Walton to the list of teams that are doing well.

The rest of 1A is really bad.

Holmes is the team that is interesting. I am not sure why so many people rave about them since we have no idea if they're legit or not. Their schedule is set up for them to dominate teams. At least they have. Good young coach but the jury is still out.

So I just dont see the football being played up here as being overly good and I see too many fans with their head stuck in the sand to realize it.

WOW! Putting it out there.:jump:

Hey Keep it real, how can u say the rest of 1a is bad? Mayfield is undefeated, returns 15 starters, has beat 3rd ranked Paducah Tilghman of 3a, and rarely has to play its starters over a half as of yet, outside of the PT game! They are not as explosive as last years team but they are VERY solid on defense and defense wins titles. I dont know how they might fare against Louisville Holy Cross, Beechwood, HAazard, or Lexongton Christian but Mayfield is a very solid team this year!

The thread is on NKY. Obviously if the thread was on the entire state Mayfield would be in the mix.