The Real View of Northern Kentucky Football

Keep It Real

Long time lurker and long time observer of high school football in northern Kentucky.

I think many from downstate would get the feeling that football in northern Kentucky is really good. It's OK but it's not really good.

Highlands has yet to be tested and probably won't be tested until they reach the finals. How good are they we don't really know. We thought Ryle would give a good indication but that probably isn't true. Are they as good as last year's team? Probably not even though they still might win the 5A.

Covington Catholic is the same old team as the Dave Brossart team just with a coach that the fans seem to like better. Still not winning big games. Bad, bad defense. How good is the staff Wurth has hired? Is that the problem? Not much depth for a program with great history. Are they OK with .500 records and a nice coach?

Who knows how good Ryle can be with the way they call plays. How can college coaches look at a kid and offer him Division 1 scholarships yet Ryle choose not to use him? It's not like Pike where they aren't sure what position he is going to play in collge. The kid is only going to be a qb. We see that they aren't sure what's going on since they demoted their OC.

The rest of 6A is just average or weak. Simon Kenton is solid but not a contender or threat to the Louisville schools. Conner has gone backwards after last year's class left. Boone County fans get what they deserve since they just let the program continue to flounder. Cooper is on the rise but not there yet. Campbell County seems like implosion is near.

Dixie gets what they deserve since they have their knee-jerk response of "hey we're in with Highlands and Covington Catholic". Nice coach but a program that doesn't seem like they have the commitment.

The positive I will throw out is in regards to Newport Catholic and Holy Cross. I like their teams.

Beechwood is down. Not sure why. Maybe Rick Shumate has convicned enough boys that they don't have to do football year round and they can have fun in basketball.

I guess I should add Brossart and Walton to the list of teams that are doing well.

The rest of 1A is really bad.

Holmes is the team that is interesting. I am not sure why so many people rave about them since we have no idea if they're legit or not. Their schedule is set up for them to dominate teams. At least they have. Good young coach but the jury is still out.

So I just dont see the football being played up here as being overly good and I see too many fans with their head stuck in the sand to realize it.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that is a great first time post Mr. Keep It Real! Welcome to BGP.

I think you have valid points on virtually everything above. Your view is coming from the dark side but it is legitimate and well stated. The bottom line for me on N. Ky football is this. It isn't necessarily that every team in N. Ky. is great. It is the fact that there are a lot of solid teams with almost every team in N. Ky. playing good football. It is the depth of the competition that makes N. Ky. football good. Even the teams you talk about being down like Boone County have gone out into the state and won games. The teams that finish fourth in districts up here are usually good football teams in their respective class that often go on to win playoff games.

Now that is a great first time post Mr. Keep It Real! Welcome to BGP.

I think you have valid points on virtually everything above. Your view is coming from the dark side but it is legitimate and well stated. The bottom line for me on N. Ky football is this. It isn't necessarily that every team in N. Ky. is great. It is the fact that there are a lot of solid teams with almost every team in N. Ky. playing good football. It is the depth of the competition that makes N. Ky. football good. Even the teams you talk about being down like Boone County have gone out into the state and won games. The teams that finish fourth in districts up here are usually good football teams in their respective class that often go on to win playoff games.

Boone's wins were overblown by everyone including fans and the coaches that vote. Didn't Henry Clay give them 2 touchdowns with turnovers ? Scott County? Football in the Lexington area is really weak as we saw with Lexington Catholic getting demolished by Covington Catholic after Covington Catholic lost by 54. I think people's preseason views and opinions on Boone County's season were closer to right than the overblown reaction of the first two games.

Boone's wins were overblown by everyone including fans and the coaches that vote. Didn't Henry Clay give them 2 touchdowns with turnovers ? Scott County? Football in the Lexington area is really weak as we saw with Lexington Catholic getting demolished by Covington Catholic after Covington Catholic lost by 54. I think people's preseason views and opinions on Boone County's season were closer to right than the overblown reaction of the first two games.

Well, based on those comments and game results, the people in Lexington would have to say N. Ky. football is real good ... at least this year. Right? Plus Holmes seems to be doing pretty well against Central Ky. competition since they got out of their N. Ky. district.

I dont disagree with anything KIR states to be honest.

Brossart seems to be the team that has shown the most improvement and will likely do well in the Class A playoffs.

Beechwood is only down if you consider them being able to beat the larger schools. They will continue to dominate in Class A.

I didnt seen any mention of Conner, a program that seemed to be on the upswing but is set back by youth I believe.

Overall NKY is pretty good when you compare to other areas around the state.

Lexington is not producing any Powerhouses and Louisville has basically Trinity and X.

I would like to know more about the Western part of the state and how NKY compares.

IMO, NKy is basically Highlands, NCC and Beechwood, on a consistent basis, with teams like Ryle, Cov Cath, Dixie, Boone, SK,etc. being pretty good some years, average the rest, but, rarely, even on there good years, a legit state contender... Personally, I think NKy football is about the same as the rest of the parts of the state with a couple of really good programs traditionally carrying the banner for the area... Central Ky, for example have Boyle Co, Danville, Lex Cath and LCA, who are traditionally consistent contenders in there class and then occasionally have solid teams like Henry Clay, Lafayette, Mercer Co, Lincoln Co, etc that have good and bad years, but, like the avg to good NKy programs, usually don't contend for titles, even on there up yrs.. Central Ky leans heavily on Danville and Boyle to carry the banner, most years.

IMO, NKy is basically Highlands, NCC and Beechwood, on a consistent basis, with teams like Ryle, Cov Cath, Dixie, Boone, SK,etc. being pretty good some years, average the rest, but, rarely, even on there good years, a legit state contender... Personally, I think NKy football is about the same as the rest of the parts of the state with a couple of really good programs traditionally carrying the banner for the area... Central Ky, for example have Boyle Co, Danville, Lex Cath and LCA, who are traditionally consistent contenders in there class and then occasionally have solid teams like Henry Clay, Lafayette, Mercer Co, Lincoln Co, etc that have good and bad years, but, like the avg to good NKy programs, usually don't contend for titles, even on there up yrs.. Central Ky leans heavily on Danville and Boyle to carry the banner, most years.

Funny but in mentioning CovCath with your comment of "rarely, even on there good years, a legit state contender"...

You do realize that CovCath owns six state football Championship Trophies!

Funny but in mentioning CovCath with your comment of "rarely, even on there good years, a legit state contender"...

You do realize that CovCath owns six state football Championship Trophies!

OG I think you need to quit living in the past. CovCath is no where near the program it used to be. I hope they get back soon, but there not there yet..

Can you quite honestly say that CC is the program it once was?

Lets just see what happens in the rest of the season!

I am a firm believer in what is going on at the moment at CovCath. If 2011, 2012 and 2013 aren't what I think they will be, than yes I will be disappointed but I am a CovCath fan and as long as our young men give a great effort on the field I am happy.

BTW I would be much more concerned if these young men preform well on the field but didn't in the classroom! Getting an great education is much more important that winning a football game and I said the same thing in 06 when they won too!