Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who Will Be The Best QB In The NFL In 5 Years?

Featured Replies

  • Replies 63
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Phillip Rivers has the potential but not sure he will ever be surrounded with what he needs. I am not seeing any of the college guys being the best in 5 years. That is a tough task. If Big Ben has another Superbowl or two, I think most would consider him the best.

I think Phillip Rivers has the potential but not sure he will ever be surrounded with what he needs. I am not seeing any of the college guys being the best in 5 years. That is a tough task. If Big Ben has another Superbowl or two, I think most would consider him the best.

 

We've had these discussions before. I don't think a huge number of people will ever consider Ben the best. Similar to Bradshaw he will always be seen as the beneficiary of a great team. When people talk about "the best" they key in on personal stats. I don't think it will bother him as he polishes all his bling.

How about Jay Cutler? If Martz stays, and they click, he could be there in the future. The Bears are still a work in progress, but they've shown some flashes this season.

We've had these discussions before. I don't think a huge number of people will ever consider Ben the best. Similar to Bradshaw he will always be seen as the beneficiary of a great team. When people talk about "the best" they key in on personal stats. I don't think it will bother him as he polishes all his bling.

I am not sure how people viewed Bradshaw in 1979, which is sort of what this discussion is referencing. I realize history has knocked him down a few notches in ranking the all time greats, but where he ranked at that time I would be curious about.

A lot depends on oline, wr and play caller. I think Rodgers is on fire but gets hit too much. I'm drinking the Matt Ryan koolaide that he will be in the conversation in 5 years.

Rodgers, Ryan and Big Ben are great choices IMO. Big Ben is the most underrated guy in the league at QB, I think.

I am not sure how people viewed Bradshaw in 1979, which is sort of what this discussion is referencing. I realize history has knocked him down a few notches in ranking the all time greats, but where he ranked at that time I would be curious about.

 

Good point. I would be curious also as I was in college and don't remember a lot of the late 70's. :D

Rodgers, Ryan and Big Ben are great choices IMO. Big Ben is the most underrated guy in the league at QB, I think.

 

Roethlisberger isn't underrated by anyone except Bengals fans who refuse to admit he's one of he best in the league.

Rodgers, Ryan and Big Ben are great choices IMO. Big Ben is the most underrated guy in the league at QB, I think.

 

Not saying it makes them any better, but Ben does not play the QB position as "pretty" as guys like Rodgers, Brees, Manning and Brady. He seems to lack the precision of those guys, but has more of a playmaker ability to him.

 

Ben is the hardest of the upper tier QB's for me to rank. You cannot argue with the results (2 Super Bowls and a proven clutch performer), but he doesn't always look as smooth, IMO. But, there's none better at keeping a play alive and turning it into something big. Also, he hasn't been consistent with his production. Below are his TD/Int and QB Rating numbers for his career...

 

17/11, 98.1

17/9, 98.6

18/23, 75.4

32/11, 104.1

17/15, 80.1 (he also had 10 fumbles that season)

26/12, 100.5

 

If he consistently plays like he did in '07 and '09, he'll insert his name into the Brady, Manning and Brees category, IMO.

I think the difference in Ben is that he's a football player who happens to play QB. He'll never fit the prototypical mold of a pocket passer picking secondaries apart with precision like Peyton. Bottom line is that he wins. And for me, that's all that matters as a fan of his team. Is he a top 5 QB in the league? I think so. But he'll never garner the accolades that the others will for a few reasons. First, his team has usually been predicated upon a stout defense and a running game. Last season was an abberation in passing yards for him and the result was no playoff trip. (among other things obviously) When the owner who seldom interjects his opinion says he'd appreciate more of an effort to run the ball, well.....

I think the difference in Ben is that he's a football player who happens to play QB. He'll never fit the prototypical mold of a pocket passer picking secondaries apart with precision like Peyton. Bottom line is that he wins. And for me, that's all that matters as a fan of his team. Is he a top 5 QB in the league? I think so. But he'll never garner the accolades that the others will for a few reasons. First, his team has usually been predicated upon a stout defense and a running game. Last season was an abberation in passing yards for him and the result was no playoff trip. (among other things obviously) When the owner who seldom interjects his opinion says he'd appreciate more of an effort to run the ball, well.....

 

I agree. And, he's hard to rank for that reason. The pros are his ability to deliver in the clutch and the Super Bowls. The cons are in bold. The Super Bowl rings make it hard to drop him below #5, IMO. I'd certainly rate Manning, Brady, Brees and Rodgers ahead of him. I'd put him right behind them at #5 personally. I don't think that's underrating him. I wouldn't argue if someone put him at #4 at the expense of Rodgers due to the post-season success, but I'd respectfully disagree. I look at it like this...if I could pick from these QB's to play for my team, Ben would be the fifth guy on my list. And, I'd be happy to have him.

I think Ben is a good passer. I thought he was amazing in 2009 considering all the other garbage that went on in Pittsburgh with a poor OL and injuries on defense. As of now I'd take 4 guys over him (Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers). Long term I'd probably take Ryan as well, but I can't put anyone else above him, with the exception of maybe Vick if he continues to play like this as a passer/winner.

I think the difference in Ben is that he's a football player who happens to play QB. He'll never fit the prototypical mold of a pocket passer picking secondaries apart with precision like Peyton. Bottom line is that he wins. And for me, that's all that matters as a fan of his team. Is he a top 5 QB in the league? I think so. But he'll never garner the accolades that the others will for a few reasons. First, his team has usually been predicated upon a stout defense and a running game. Last season was an abberation in passing yards for him and the result was no playoff trip. (among other things obviously) When the owner who seldom interjects his opinion says he'd appreciate more of an effort to run the ball, well.....

 

What I like about Ben is he is clutch. He reminds me of Elway when the game is on the line. This is a question to ask yourself. If your team needed a TD and you had to drive the length of the field with 2 minutes to play, how many QBs would you take over him?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.