September 25, 201016 yr Why do you say a guy in college can't be the best in 5 years? The guys we are mentioning, if Luck and Mallett declare, would be 4 year pros at that point. Do you have to have more experience than 4 years to be the best in the game? Do you just think Rodgers is that good? Because they aren't even in the league yet and some are declaring them the best in the NFL. Do you really think if Luck was drafted by the Browns he'd be the top QB in the league in 4 years? Same thing with Bush coming out of USC, people were already declaring him to be the greatest RB in NFL history, and we've seen how that turned out. Not saying those QB's can't be good but they'd have to pass Brees, Rodgers, Manning, Ryan, Bradford, etc.
September 25, 201016 yr I agree with the other guys. No way a guy in college NOW is better than Aaron Rodgers in 5 years. Matter of fact, no way a guy in college is better than Flacco or Sanchez in 5 years. If Aaron Rodgers isn't THE MAN in 5 years, I'll be shocked.
September 26, 201016 yr In 5 years, I think Brady, Manning and Brees could still be right there at the top as well. Aaron Rodgers is the obvious answer to the question, because he's still young and I think the only thing separating him from the top guys right now are post-season success and Super Bowl rings.
September 26, 201016 yr I really like Matt Ryan. I honestly feel within the next couple of years he will become an elite QB in the league.
September 26, 201016 yr Author Because they aren't even in the league yet and some are declaring them the best in the NFL. Do you really think if Luck was drafted by the Browns he'd be the top QB in the league in 4 years? Same thing with Bush coming out of USC, people were already declaring him to be the greatest RB in NFL history, and we've seen how that turned out. Not saying those QB's can't be good but they'd have to pass Brees, Rodgers, Manning, Ryan, Bradford, etc. I do understand your point- I will say that a great QB will make a franchise look a lot better. I'm sure people were skeptical of what Peyton could do when he was drafted by the Colts. Who said at the time that Brees would lift New Orleans to a Super Bowl title? How many rings did the Pats have before Brady? I guess my point is simply that you never know- if I had asked this question five years ago, I bet names like Mick Vick, Carson Palmer and Daunte Culpepper would have come up. To say with any certainty who will be the best is obviously just an educated guess. I'll cast my lot with the guy who has the most upside, IMO. That is Luck, for me. I do think that Rodgers has the most upside of the guys in the league, IMO. I like Matt Ryan a ton. I like Matt Schuab as well.
September 26, 201016 yr Sanchez, Cutler, Rodgers, Manning(s), Ryan, Flacco, Bradoford, Ben all the kids in college...... Who knows. One or two will be busts, one or two may get hurt, one is a parking ticket away from a league ban..... this is a very subjective thread.
September 26, 201016 yr Because they aren't even in the league yet and some are declaring them the best in the NFL. Do you really think if Luck was drafted by the Browns he'd be the top QB in the league in 4 years? Same thing with Bush coming out of USC, people were already declaring him to be the greatest RB in NFL history, and we've seen how that turned out. Not saying those QB's can't be good but they'd have to pass Brees, Rodgers, Manning, Ryan, Bradford, etc. Yeah, I'm on record for calling shenanigans on that one. I've been awful darned right.
September 26, 201016 yr Those variables apply to the NFL guys too, however. We don't know what will happen because of injuries, free agency, coaching changes and how age effects the current pros. It is all guess work, but I like what Luck brings to the table and I would take where he could be over where I think any of the current guys could be. I do think Aaron Rodgers is a beast and I like Matt Ryan as well. Those variables I mentioned are all the ones that hit a QB when he's making the incredibly steep climb from college to the NFL. It's utterly and completely nuts to assign NFL greatness to a college player. I do understand your point- I will say that a great QB will make a franchise look a lot better. I'm sure people were skeptical of what Peyton could do when he was drafted by the Colts. Who said at the time that Brees would lift New Orleans to a Super Bowl title? How many rings did the Pats have before Brady? I guess my point is simply that you never know- if I had asked this question five years ago, I bet names like Mick Vick, Carson Palmer and Daunte Culpepper would have come up. To say with any certainty who will be the best is obviously just an educated guess. I'll cast my lot with the guy who has the most upside, IMO. That is Luck, for me. I do think that Rodgers has the most upside of the guys in the league, IMO. I like Matt Ryan a ton. I like Matt Schuab as well. Now you're just proving my point.
September 26, 201016 yr Author ^ Based on your logic, there would be no NFL Draft- I mean, why try to guess who is going to be a great NFL player based on college success? Isn't that what the draft is all about? Look, I am not trying to argue that Luck is a sure thing. I'm just saying that the NFL is tough to predict. I see Luck as having the most upside of any QB right now. He can be great and I think he will be.
September 26, 201016 yr ^ Based on your logic, there would be no NFL Draft- I mean, why try to guess who is going to be a great NFL player based on college success? Isn't that what the draft is all about? Look, I am not trying to argue that Luck is a sure thing. I'm just saying that the NFL is tough to predict. I see Luck as having the most upside of any QB right now. He can be great and I think he will be. Again, you're making my point for me. The QB position is without a doubt the most difficult to project as far as college to pros. That's why it's nutso to say any QB in college today will be the best in five years.
September 26, 201016 yr Author Again, you're making my point for me. The QB position is without a doubt the most difficult to project as far as college to pros. That's why it's nutso to say any QB in college today will be the best in five years. I am not arguing that a five year out projection is tough to make- JS. I recognize that picking Luck is a longshot. I recognize that the safe play is Rodgers or another one of the guys that I mentioned to start the thread. I'll still stick with Luck and be labelled nutso.
September 26, 201016 yr Knowing that Rodgers is very good now, I'm taking him in five years. No way would I take a college QB over him, too much of a crapshoot.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.