September 15, 201016 yr The NCAA needs to investigate their own house first - this is growing old in ALL of college sports - something has to give somewhere. As for Bledsoe - I agree with the before mentioned - see D. Arthur and C Maggette cases. I don't think anything will come of this for our program. All a bit insane if you ask me - you clear them to play - then that's it - hey NCAA if you only have 54 reviewers well then HIRE about a 1000 more people - I think there are plenty of people needing and wanting jobs.....
September 15, 201016 yr I think everyone has to agree this is a messed up process. If you rule a player eligible and a team plays him and does not have anything to do with what the player did that was against the rules, then how can you punish the school? I think now Calipari needs to think seriously about staying away from anyone in a similar situation as Bledsoe IF they were to take our wins from last year. GT, Do we have any grade/eligibility issues with any of our 2011 recruits?
September 15, 201016 yr Why was Memphis punished in the Derrick Rose case and how does that case compare with Bledsoe?
September 15, 201016 yr GT, Do we have any grade/eligibility issues with any of our 2011 recruits? Only issue really is the Davis and the $300,000 thing. Grade wise I think they are all in good shape. I know I'm not GT but just from everything I gathered.
September 15, 201016 yr GT, Do we have any grade/eligibility issues with any of our 2011 recruits? Shouldn't be any issues. All solid kids from my experiences with them...
September 15, 201016 yr Only issue really is the Davis and the $300,000 thing. Grade wise I think they are all in good shape. I know I'm not GT but just from everything I gathered. Thanks I just asked GT because he seems to be able to see all the high school transcripts and knows all the personal information on all the recruits, like who they are dating, where they spend most nights, etc. (kidding)
September 15, 201016 yr Thanks I just asked GT because he seems to be able to see all the high school transcripts and knows all the personal information on all the recruits, like who they are dating, where they spend most nights, etc. (kidding) :lol:
September 16, 201016 yr The NCAA needs to investigate their own house first - this is growing old in ALL of college sports - something has to give somewhere. As for Bledsoe - I agree with the before mentioned - see D. Arthur and C Maggette cases. I don't think anything will come of this for our program. All a bit insane if you ask me - you clear them to play - then that's it - hey NCAA if you only have 54 reviewers well then HIRE about a 1000 more people - I think there are plenty of people needing and wanting jobs..... I totally agree with this. Hire 2000 if needed!!! As much money as is generated in college basketball the NCAA should step it up and make the schools chip in the extra $'s to hire whatever it takes to get the job done. This is getting ridiculous.
September 17, 201016 yr Author If they let Kansas keep their National Championship with Arthur as a team member, then UK will be just fine. Precedent has already been set in a very similar case (grade changing). One difference that COULD have an impact. It was determined in the Arthur case that even if the grade had not been changed he would have been academically eligible. So KU played with an eligible player. It could be determined that UK played with an ineligible player.
September 17, 201016 yr Why was Memphis punished in the Derrick Rose case and how does that case compare with Bledsoe? If im not mistaken the Rose case had more to do with his ACT. Rose supposedly took the ACT in Detroit, while he lived and attended school in Chicago. Rose claimed he was in Detroit for such and such reason thus why he took the test there, however, I think the score was a significant change from his previous ACT test score. The NCAA then tried contacting Rose via the postal system numerous times in investigating the situation and never got a response. Rose said it was due to him being in Memphis for school and not being in Chicago where the letters were being mailed to. I think the suspiciousness of where the ACT was taken, along with the score, incooperation with the NCAA among other things led them to rule the way they did. Another knock against Rose was benefits to his family members, brother in particular who traveled with the Memphis team numerous times. This is allowed under NCAA rules as long as the expenses are paid for, it is my understanding that the full amount of these expenses were never re paid by the Rose family.
September 17, 201016 yr If im not mistaken the Rose case had more to do with his ACT. Rose supposedly took the ACT in Detroit, while he lived and attended school in Chicago. Rose claimed he was in Detroit for such and such reason thus why he took the test there, however, I think the score was a significant change from his previous ACT test score. The NCAA then tried contacting Rose via the postal system numerous times in investigating the situation and never got a response. Rose said it was due to him being in Memphis for school and not being in Chicago where the letters were being mailed to. I think the suspiciousness of where the ACT was taken, along with the score, incooperation with the NCAA among other things led them to rule the way they did. Another knock against Rose was benefits to his family members, brother in particular who traveled with the Memphis team numerous times. This is allowed under NCAA rules as long as the expenses are paid for, it is my understanding that the full amount of these expenses were never re paid by the Rose family. I bet it was pretty tough to contact Rose. He wasn't very high profile or anything. NCAA is weak.
September 17, 201016 yr One difference that COULD have an impact. It was determined in the Arthur case that even if the grade had not been changed he would have been academically eligible. So KU played with an eligible player. It could be determined that UK played with an ineligible player. How was Arthur an eligible player? He won two state championships in the state of Texas in 2005 and 2006, and both of these championships have since been forfeited due to the scandal. If his grades would not have been modified on at least 3 occasions during high school, he would have failed those courses, which would have resulted in him not being an eligible player. On a side note, see some interesting quotes below from the Kansas associate AD while Arthur was enrolled at Kansas. But Jim Marchiony, KU's associate athletic director for external affairs, said he believed that the investigation into Arthur likely would not affect the school's basketball program. "This is something that happened in high school," Marchiony said. "Everything that is discussed right now is speculation. I know the media and fans like to speculate, but that's not something we participate in." Marchiony said high schools send athletes' transcripts to the NCAA, which determines whether an athlete is eligible to play in college. Because the NCAA declared Arthur eligible, Kansas would not have known about any grading problems in high school, he said.
September 17, 201016 yr I bet it was pretty tough to contact Rose. He wasn't very high profile or anything. NCAA is weak. Maybe Rose didn't want to be contacted.
September 18, 201016 yr I'm sure he wasn't going to go looking for the NCAA but if all they did is send him some snail mail they weren't looking too hard either.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.