Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NCAA puts Morehead St. on probation

Featured Replies

Wireman has always be extremely nice to me on here and I always find his information interesting and worth reading.

 

I think what alot of people are missing here is just how tough it is to have information on this topic. MSU is a small campus, so this news isn't like have inside info at a larger university like UK. People that are in the know at Morehead don't want to talk about this as it is embarrassing to the University.

 

That's why I personally didn't want to pry and get any information. I don't know if my source would have told me anything or not in regards to this, and I really didn't want to overstep my boundaries in asking them. Especially when they know that I post alot on this message board. If I did have the info I couldn't/wouldn't give it out either just because its not something that the people in the know want to give out at this time. I said that I don't want to know the details because I don't want to have to give or not give out information. I don't want to know unless it's public.

  • Replies 49
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll just say this ... there are some people on this board who paint themselves as knowledgable on some subjects, but they don't necessarily want to disclose information when the news might not be glowing for the teams for which they have an affinity.

 

Wireman is clearly a Morehead fan and is eager to dispense information about them when it is positive. Negative or not, this topic is newsworthy, and people want know what is going on.

I'll just say this ... there are some people on this board who paint themselves as knowledgable on some subjects, but they don't necessarily want to disclose information when the news might not be glowing for the teams for which they have an affinity.

 

Wireman is clearly a Morehead fan and is eager to dispense information about them when it is positive. Negative or not, this topic is newsworthy, and people want know what is going on.

 

Doesn't matter what you or others want though. If it puts him in a difficult position then no one should expect him to disclose information. You, nor I have any idea what could happen to him or others if they disclosed information, so you just have to be happy with what you can get.

It would almost have to do with this guy. He is the one I was thinking of: http://www.wbko.com/sports/headlines/42961332.html

"He and Kenneth Faried (Morehead State's second-leading scorer and the nation's third-leading rebounder in 2008-09) are childhood friends and his prep school teammate (Joe Swift) is going there," Robinson told WBKO via telephone Tuesday. "It had nothing to do with WKU."

I stand corrected. I knew there was a connection with the Laury guy, but they did not attend the same school. But appears Faried did talk him in to coming to Morehead (though he never came, obviously). Or it could be the Joe Swift guy. I feel like I am playing 20 questions with myself here. :lol:

 

None-the-less, the full disclosure of who is involved with these type things, especially if they are no way affiliated with a University typically come out and I am not seeing the harm in it. But I do respect Wireman's right to privacy if he feels it would compromise his "insider" status.

"He and Kenneth Faried (Morehead State's second-leading scorer and the nation's third-leading rebounder in 2008-09) are childhood friends and his prep school teammate (Joe Swift) is going there," Robinson told WBKO via telephone Tuesday. "It had nothing to do with WKU."

I stand corrected. I knew there was a connection with the Laury guy, but they did not attend the same school. But appears Faried did talk him in to coming to Morehead (though he never came, obviously). Or it could be the Joe Swift guy. I feel like I am playing 20 questions with myself here. :lol:

 

None-the-less, the full disclosure of who is involved with these type things, especially if they are no way affiliated with a University typically come out and I am not seeing the harm in it. But I do respect Wireman's right to privacy if he feels it would compromise his "insider" status.

 

I just think people have to realize that in a case like this if someone gave out information they were not suppose to that not only would they not get any more information but they would also put their friendships with their souce(s) in jeopardy.

 

I'm sure if Gametime chimes in he'll tell you that sometimes you just have to keep quite about things from time to time if your information is good enough.

I have been told a couple of years ago about one main booster at MSU, as well as a few other things, and not to be surprised if MSU gets nailed.

I'm sure if Gametime chimes in he'll tell you that sometimes you just have to keep quite about things from time to time if your information is good enough.

 

Happens on a daily basis. I know all kinds of things I'm not supposed to know... :lol:

Happens on a daily basis. I know all kinds of things I'm not supposed to know... :lol:

 

I wouldn't even want to be in your shoes man. You may have too much information for my taste. Keep up the good work.:thumb:

I like and appreciate all of Wireman and GT's info. Whatever they want to share is okay with me. I'm grateful for any of their info.

I know what happened and I'm not telling anyone either.:p

I have been told a couple of years ago about one main booster at MSU, as well as a few other things, and not to be surprised if MSU gets nailed.

 

As a Morehead Alum, who in the world is this "booster"............

For those of you who are looking for more of an explaination in regards to this thread...

 

INDIANAPOLIS---The NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions has found Morehead State University committed major violations in its men’s basketball program. The violations pertain to a booster’s involvement in recruiting prospective student-athletes, including impermissible offers and inducements. The case also includes a failure by the head coach to monitor his basketball coaching staff members in connection with their interactions with the booster.

 

Penalties in this case include two years probation, scholarship reduction and recruiting restrictions.

 

This case was resolved through the summary disposition process, a cooperative effort where the involved parties submit the case to the Committee on Infractions in written form. When the NCAA enforcement staff, the university and involved individuals agree to the facts of the case and the university-proposed penalties, they may use this process instead of having a formal hearing.

 

From the fall of 2006 through April 2009, the head men’s coach, an assistant coach and other members of the men’s basketball staff had knowledge of, and at times directed or encouraged, impermissible recruiting activities of the booster. This booster, a university alumnus and financial contributor, was involved in the recruitment of more than 30 prospective student-athletes. His activities included evaluations, telephone contact, arranging workouts, assisting in the arrangement of official and unofficial visits, and offering improper recruiting inducements for prospective student-athletes. Through these activities, the booster became a countable coach, resulting in the men’s basketball program exceeding its countable coach limit by one.

 

The booster also arranged airline transportation and provided a loan for the cost of flights for two family members of a men’s basketball student-athlete.

 

During this time, the head coach and the booster exchanged 87 telephone calls and text messages, most of which included information regarding prospective student-athletes. Additionally, the two exchanged more than 200 e-mails, some in which the booster provided details of evaluations and contacts with prospective student-athletes.

 

The committee found that the scope and nature of the violations demonstrated the head men’s basketball coach failed to promote an atmosphere for compliance. Specifically, the head coach allowed and encouraged the booster’s assistance with the recruitment of student-athletes. The head coach also directed his staff to interact with the booster regarding recruitment efforts.

 

The penalties in this case include:

 

- Public reprimand and censure.

- Two years of probation from August 25, 2010, through August 24, 2012.

- Reduction of one athletics scholarship in men’s basketball, from 13 to 12, for the 2011-12 academic year (Self-imposed by the university).

- Reduction in the number of remaining recruiting days by 30 for the 2009-10 academic year. The head coach must assume 10 of those days (Self-imposed by the university).

- Reduction in the number of recruiting days by 15 for the 2010-11 academic year. The head coach must assume five of those days (Self-imposed by the university).

- Reduction of three official visits, from 12 to nine, for the 2010-11 academic year (Self-imposed by the university).

- Reduction in the number of permissible telephone calls to each senior prospective student-athlete from two per week to one per week during the 2009-10 academic year (Self-imposed by the university).

 

The members of the Committee on Infractions who reviewed this case include Paul Dee, lecturer in law and education at the University of Miami and formerly the institution's athletics director and general counsel. He is the chair of the Committee on Infractions. Other members are Josephine (Jo) R. Potuto, the Richard H. Larson Professor of Constitutional Law at the University of Nebraska College of Law; Melissa Conboy, deputy director of athletics at University of Notre Dame; James O’Fallon, a law professor and faculty athletic representative for University of Oregon; John S. Black, attorney; and Roscoe Howard, Jr., attorney.

 

http://www.totalncaa.net/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/ncaa/media+and+events/press+room/news+release+archive/2010/infractions/20100825+morehead+state+infract+rls

Thanks, MJ ... at least someone is willing to step up with an explanation.

Thanks, MJ ... at least someone is willing to step up with an explanation.

 

Wish I could take all the credit, but I have a buddy who lives down that way who passed this on to me. I figured some of ya'll would be happy to have the info.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.