Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Which coach would you choose?

Featured Replies

Anybody who says anything other than Tom Izzo is lying.

 

I'm not lying and I'll go with RockPride and take the guy with the best resume, Coach K.

  • Replies 58
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would take Coach Cal hands down although I agree with the poster above, I would hope the NBA rumors would go away.

 

After that, my pick would be Izzo. He's a true coach. He gets things done and that is with less talent than some others mentioned. He's not nearly the recruiter Cal is. If he was.... along with his coaching ability, he MIGHT be my number 1.

 

Third, I agree with those that bring Roy Williams into the mix. William's players have a little bit of arrogance about them which I find annoying. I'm not sure if it's the players he recruits or what. I respect him as a coach though and wouldn't have an issue with him being "my" coach.

 

I like Jay Wright although I'm not sure he's truly proven yet... not when you compare him against the above names. He's got potential though.

Roy Williams would be my selection. If Cal is the best recruiter, then Roy Williams is right behind him with a couple of national titles and some Final Fours to boot. Coach K and Izzo's resume speak for themselves. By selecting Williams it does not mean I am diminishing the other coaches' accomplishments.

For the coach of UK right now give me Cal all day long!

All the coaches mentioned in the thread have their own strengths and weaknesses. All are also great coaches, and I don't think you could make a bad choice among them. Having said that, I would have to go with Cal due to his resurrection of the bb programs that he has coached. It would be scary to see the success he would have if guys had to stay in college a minimum of three years. I believe that Coach K's championships have been won with veteran teams, and that is the difference.

Each school's coach is exactly what that school needs. Cal (shady or not) plays to the UK fans masterfully and brings in some NBA talent. Something BBN was in need of.

Each school's coach is exactly what that school needs. Cal (shady or not) plays to the UK fans masterfully and brings in some NBA talent. Something BBN was in need of.

 

Very true. :thumb:

:lol:

 

No surprises for me at all in this one.:idunno::ohbrother:

 

 

:lol:

 

So you thought there were be this many Izzo fans on here?

I love recruiting so give me Cal. I'd rather watch exciting, explosive NBA type players year in and year out and be in on top recruits every year than only get one or two good players in the top 50 and hope it turns out all right. I like Izzo but I like watching what Cal does on the recruiting trail every year. It's a lot of fun.

Okay....

 

Izzo is 55 years old with a 364-146 record for a .714 winning percentage. He has 9 Sweet 16's, 7 Elite 8's, 6 Final 4's, 2 Title game Appearances with 1 Championship. He has 2 Big 10 Tourney Championships along with 13 consecutive tourney appearances.

 

Ole Roy is 59 years old with a 614-155 record for a .798 winning percentage. He has 14 Sweet 16's, 9 Elite 8's, 7 Final 4's, 4 Title game appearances and 2 Championships. Considering his time at Kansas and UNC he may actually have the most NBA players. He was the 3rd fastest coach to 600 wins and has a record 20 consecutive tourney appearances. He also has 3 Big 12 Tourney Championships, 2 ACC Championships and 1 Big 8 Championship. He also has a post season NIT Runner Up with a team loaded with Mickey D All Americans. Nice........

 

Coach K is 63 years old with a 868-279 record for a .757 winning percentage. He has 19 Sweet 16's, 12 Elite 8's, 11 Final 4's, 8 Title game appearances and 4 Titles. He has a record 77 NCAA tourney wins along with 12 ACC Tourney Titles. He is the 4th winningest coach of all time and one of only 4 coaches ever with 800 wins. Beginning in the year 2000 Duke won more games in a decade(291) than any team ever in the history of college basketball.

 

Just saying.......

Okay....

 

Izzo is 55 years old with a 364-146 record for a .714 winning percentage. He has 9 Sweet 16's, 7 Elite 8's, 6 Final 4's, 2 Title game Appearances with 1 Championship. He has 2 Big 10 Tourney Championships along with 13 consecutive tourney appearances.

 

Ole Roy is 59 years old with a 614-155 record for a .798 winning percentage. He has 14 Sweet 16's, 9 Elite 8's, 7 Final 4's, 4 Title game appearances and 2 Championships. Considering his time at Kansas and UNC he may actually have the most NBA players. He was the 3rd fastest coach to 600 wins and has a record 20 consecutive tourney appearances. He also has 3 Big 12 Tourney Championships, 2 ACC Championships and 1 Big 8 Championship. He also has a post season NIT Runner Up with a team loaded with Mickey D All Americans. Nice........

 

Coach K is 63 years old with a 868-279 record for a .757 winning percentage. He has 19 Sweet 16's, 12 Elite 8's, 11 Final 4's, 8 Title game appearances and 4 Titles. He has a record 77 NCAA tourney wins along with 12 ACC Tourney Titles. He is the 4th winningest coach of all time and one of only 4 coaches ever with 800 wins. Beginning in the year 2000 Duke won more games in a decade(291) than any team ever in the history of college basketball.

 

Just saying.......

 

On Izzo: His teams may not be good out of the gate, but his teams gel nicely by tournament time.

On Leader K: While Duke won the title this season, I think it is fair to say his production has dropped off the past few years.

On Williams: He cries a lot.

Each school's coach is exactly what that school needs. Cal (shady or not) plays to the UK fans masterfully and brings in some NBA talent. Something BBN was in need of.

 

:thumb:

 

I agree. If just picking hypothetically I go with Coach K, his record speaks for itself.

 

But, as a UK fan, I wouldn't trade Calipari for anyone right now. He fits perfectly what we want. His recruiting is off the charts, he plays an exciting brand of ball, and has the personality and ego required to do the job. I believe he'll eventually get a championship if he keeps bringing in this level of talent. Heck, under Calipari, our off-seasons have become more exciting than much of the last decade of basketball we watched. For a fandom that eats, sleeps and breathes its Wildcat basketball team 13 months of the year, Cal is serving up a feast.

I love recruiting so give me Cal. I'd rather watch exciting, explosive NBA type players year in and year out and be in on top recruits every year than only get one or two good players in the top 50 and hope it turns out all right. I like Izzo but I like watching what Cal does on the recruiting trail every year. It's a lot of fun.

 

Id rather have national titles than #1 recruiting classes. Until Cal wins a title he doesnt belong with those three coaches. 7 titles among them. They have had their share of MD all americans and had guys leave early for the pros. Age may be catching up to them but they have stayed at their schools for a long time. Im not convinced Cal will stay put.

Id rather have national titles than #1 recruiting classes. Until Cal wins a title he doesnt belong with those three coaches. 7 titles among them. They have had their share of MD all americans and had guys leave early for the pros. Age may be catching up to them but they have stayed at their schools for a long time. Im not convinced Cal will stay put.

 

What are you talking about? He has one title and has been there for ever. If Cal had been at Kentucky the past 15 years don't you think he'd have at least as many championships as Izzo?

My point he wont be there 15 years. He had 5 first rd NBA draft choices on his team this year and failed to reach the final four. How many NBA 1st rounders did Izzo have? Cal Can Flat out recruit and can definitely turn programs around. But he has not accomplished what those guys have including Izzo. How many titles would Izzo have, had he been at UK for 15 years.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.