May 20, 201016 yr With Cal's amazing recruiting abilities showing itself yet again, and with other coaches out there winning some huge post season games, what coach would you want calling the shots for your program? ...I'll lead with my bias and say Mike Krzyzewski, in that he has won with superior talent, won with average talent, and won with teams that he has manufactured to be his desire. He has 4 titles, and double digit Final Fours..... Who, out of all the coaches out there, would be your dream pick for coach?
May 20, 201016 yr I want the coach with the most wins since 1986, the most titles since 1986, the most NBA players since 1986 and soon to be the winningest coach in NCAA Division 1 Men's Basketball......Coach Mike Krzyzewski. While I respect your opinion Jim, I think anyone who doesn't pick Coach K is lying. The stats don't lie. Izzo is like Russell from Survivor. He can make the Final Four but he can't win it. Yes, I know Izzo has a ring just making an analogy.
May 20, 201016 yr Give me a guy who can get in the top recruits year in and year out, but not only that, knows how to motivate them to play together for the same cause, maximizes their potential and has in game coaching skills to match. Give me a guy who knows Xs and Os better than Richard Simmons knows how to be annoying. I'm talking of course about Tubby Smith.
May 20, 201016 yr If we are talking going young and building for the future or picking someone that is closer to the end of their career than their beginning....makes a difference. Izzo is a solid choice..K's stats speak for themselves as PP mentioned above...Cal brings in talent like no one has EVER done before...Roy Williams has a solid career. I really don't know who I would pick. I met K once and I didn't like his attitude at all (maybe a bad day)...Cal scares the daylights out of me...Izzo is always the bridesmaid...I'm indecisive this morning. I really like Jay Wright and I can't wait to see what Pastner can do at Memphis.
May 20, 201016 yr Depends on longevity. You give me Cal for 25 years with no NBA rumors and I take him. Otherwise I think Izzo is your guy.
May 20, 201016 yr If I want them for 5 years give me Izzo. 10 years give me Cal. The next 25, I'll role the dice on Pastner, because I value recruiting over all else. Guys like Izzo are hard to find.
May 20, 201016 yr Izzo doesn't get near the talent that Duke gets yet puts up amazing results. He'd be hard to overlook.
May 20, 201016 yr If we could combine Cals recruiting with Izzo or Coach Ks X's and O's . We can't with that said I'll show my bias also . Coach Cal is my choice .
May 20, 201016 yr Izzo (does more with less than anyone) Coach K (4 titles tied for #2 all time) Calipari (best recruiter hands down)
May 20, 201016 yr Izzo would be #1. The man's track record speaks for itself. He's not a flashy coach, but gets the job done.
May 20, 201016 yr If I want them for 5 years give me Izzo. 10 years give me Cal. The next 25, I'll role the dice on Pastner, because I value recruiting over all else. Guys like Izzo are hard to find. Thanks CCC, you said what I tried to much quicker.
May 20, 201016 yr Its interesting. There are 4 guys right now who I think are on top of the college bball landscape. Roy Williams, Coach K, Calipari, and Izzo. You could argue that since taking over at UNC they have been the best program over that time period. He is criticized a lot, but you can't argue with the success he has had. Then you have Coach K. He is no doubt the #1 coach of the past quarter century. Although, he had 5 years where Duke was relatively quiet until this year never making it past the Sweet 16. His recruiting has dropped off, but seems to be picking back up a bit. Then you have Izzo who simply hasn't had the talent at Mich St since Cleeves and those guys were there yet gets to the Final 4 with consistency. This year's coaching job was amazing! That brings us to Calipari. He has now turned 3 programs around from being mediocre to powerhouses. He is now the best recruiter in college basketball and is sure to bring in great talent.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.