October 28, 200520 yr So If you cant win don' even try . We quit. Tell that to the 1980 Olympic hockey players .
October 28, 200520 yr Let's be serious. This is Earl Cox. Does he really have sources this good? Does he have credibility? I don't doubt that someone mentioned the possibility of this happening to Cox. But were they serious? Were they joking? Or were they blowing smoke up ... well, you know where?
October 28, 200520 yr Lonnie Wheeler doesn't display a particularly firm grasp of what takes place in Kentucky. Does he really believe that only the private schools "recruit"? Surely, he knows better.
October 28, 200520 yr First, consider the source. Cox is is about two decades past being relevant. He gets it wrong far more often than he gets it right. I'm sure somebody made the statement he quoted, but I'm sure they aren't in a position to back it up. I can't believe he didn't take Glaser to task for his remarks. The only answer at this stage for a private school coach is... well I hope the split doesn't happen, but if it does we will deal with it at that time. Glaser painted a pretty rosy picture of a situation that would be anything but. Right now X travels out of state pretty infrequently, yet Glaser makes it out to be no big deal. Well it will be a huge deal to travel every week. I speak with private school coaches in Nashville and they would say that it is a tremendous hardship for them to be in Memphis one Friday and in Knoxville the next. Please Coach, think before you speak. Lets all work to work this out. The funny thing is that The Voice announced in this issue that they were moving to the bank building right across the street from Marshall Stadium. Now Earl will have a birds eye view of the team he loves to hate. :lol:
October 28, 200520 yr A calmer view from another writer: http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051027/SPT08/510270324/1035/SPT a very good article well thought out.
October 28, 200520 yr Saint Xavier and Trinity would definitely have causes of action. If the publics do such a dastardly deed, stick them. X and Trinity need to cover their bases next year when they sign contracts to play other teams. All contracts do have a dollar amount that the other school must pay if they forfeit the game. If they are in the first year of a two year contract, which most schools sign, then I don't think there is anything that can be done if those school would forfeit. Money will come from the athletic account/school fund if a forfeit would take place. IMO if true, this is a scare tatic that will not be followed through.
October 28, 200520 yr A calmer view from another writer: http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051027/SPT08/510270324/1035/SPT I agree. I put this in it's own thread before I found it here.
October 28, 200520 yr Are these people that big of sore losers? Amazing. Nice message you're sending to your kids. Sore losers?? You've got to be kidding. When the delegates voted overwhelmingly to seperate, there were talks of Boycots of games, concession stands, etc... I belive calling public schools sore losers is the pot calling the kettle black.
October 28, 200520 yr Are these people that big of sore losers? Amazing. Nice message you're sending to your kids. They didn't lose. They won by an overwhelming majority. Not a 51% majority but clearly more then the 2/3rds majority required by the KHSAA. Their Board of Control chose to ignore what 70% of their membership told them to do. Why waste the time of AD's and other educators with a silly meeting and a vote that counted for nothing.
October 28, 200520 yr They didn't lose. They won by an overwhelming majority. Not a 51% majority but clearly more then the 2/3rds majority required by the KHSAA. Their Board of Control chose to ignore what 70% of their membership told them to do. Why waste the time of AD's and other educators with a silly meeting and a vote that counted for nothing. I've stated many times that it's pointless to have the members vote on something when the BOC and the BOE can overturn that vote. Just make the rules and let everyone know about them. The sore losers part is for their efforts on the field.
October 28, 200520 yr Sore losers?? You've got to be kidding. When the delegates voted overwhelmingly to seperate, there were talks of Boycots of games, concession stands, etc... I belive calling public schools sore losers is the pot calling the kettle black. I don't think you quite understood my post. I called them sore losers because they can't stand getting beat on the playing field and instead of making changes to themselves, they want to restrict others.
October 28, 200520 yr I've stated many times that it's pointless to have the members vote on something when the BOC and the BOE can overturn that vote. Just make the rules and let everyone know about them. The sore losers part is for their efforts on the field. :thumb: Fair enough..
October 28, 200520 yr Lonnie Wheeler doesn't display a particularly firm grasp of what takes place in Kentucky. Does he really believe that only the private schools "recruit"? Surely, he knows better. I read the article, and I thought Wheeler did an excellent job of laying out the situation, as it currently exists. He did not say that only private schools recruit. The sentence "The fact is that schools such as Trinity, St. Xavier (both of Louisville) and Lexington Catholic don't have to recruit athletes." would seem to me to be saying just the opposite. The main point of his article is spot on - 71% of the delegates may or may not be correct (that is open to everyone's opinion), but they cannot be ignored. Sooner or later, this issue WILL be resolved. The point Wheeler is making, is that everyone involved would be much better off if a compromise can be worked out, rather than having it end up in the legislature or the courts. Frances
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.