Lexington Catholic 4 Saint Xavier 3

St. X provides a recap of games under the “Teams/Schedules” section of the website under “Athletics.” If the score is clicked, the recap appears. For Lexington Catholic, the recap states:

“The varsity baseball team lost a heart breaking 4 to 3 decision at number one ranked Lexington Catholic Thursday night. It was the Tigers first loss this year by one run, making them 9-1 in these clutch games. Matt Spalding sparked the Tigers early with his 3rd home run of the season to put St. X up 2-0 in the 4th. After LexCath answered with one run in the bottom of the 4th, the Tigers let a golden opportunity slip away to put the game away. Ryan Loehnert's infield single put the Tigers up 3-1 and gave them runners on 2nd and 3rd. But the Tigers were denied on three straight batters to pad their lead and the Knights would make them pay for their lack of execution. The Knights got their leadoff man on in the top of the 7th and chased starter Ian Tompkins who pitched nicely recording 6 strikeouts. After loading the bases the Knights scored on a double and then pushed a single pass the drawn in infield to secure the win. The Tigers record stands at 19-6 as they head to Owensboro Catholic for a double header on Saturday against the Aces and then Lloyd Memorial. The Tigers return from their 2 week road trip on Monday for a 3 game homestand.”

The link to this section of their website is: http://www.saintx.com/page.cfm?p=304&teamID=21

Don't know....Tompkins has been just as good as Spalding this year. Lefty junior throwing 86-88.

Thompkins has outstanding natural throwing motion. He has a downward plane to his fastball as well as movement. He is left-handed and about 6’ 1”. He has made substantial progress from last year and I believe will continue to improve more and more. He has had very limited formal pitching instruction. I believe that he will add velocity, skill to his off-speed pitches, and more over-all consistency with time and training. He likes baseball, has a very good attitude, and is willing to work hard. He is a bright young man and does very well in honor classes.

Spalding is a hard-throwing right-hander who has hit 92 mph on the radar gun this spring. The upside about Spalding is that he can contribute in so many different ways. Besides on the mound, he adds at the plate, running bases, and in the field.

I am not for sure why Spalding was not used as a closer in the Lexington Catholic game. (In fact, I think that Spalding’s best role on the mound may be as a closer.) I would like to hear the coaching staff’s reason; but one possible explanation might be that Loehnert was a DH and might be more easily warmed up?

...just curious as why Spalding wasn't brought in to close the game.

If St. X got 3 outs in the 7th inning, maybe this question would not be even be brought up. Debating some decisions like a “Monday morning quarterback” is different than while the game is going on. Another perspective is the St. X may have felt comfortable with the success Tompkins was having and that Loehnert has had before that Loehnert would get the 3 outs and the win. Who knows, could St. X even have wanted to give Loehnert the opportunity to shine? (There were college coaches present.) Sometimes things just don’t go as expected and it’s easier to second guess them after the fact.

Thompkins has outstanding natural throwing motion. He has a downward plane to his fastball as well as movement. He is left-handed and about 6’ 1”. He has made substantial progress from last year and I believe will continue to improve more and more. He has had very limited formal pitching instruction. I believe that he will add velocity, skill to his off-speed pitches, and more over-all consistency with time and training. He likes baseball, has a very good attitude, and is willing to work hard. He is a bright young man and does very well in honor classes.

Spalding is a hard-throwing right-hander who has hit 92 mph on the radar gun this spring. The upside about Spalding is that he can contribute in so many different ways. Besides on the mound, he adds at the plate, running bases, and in the field.

I am not for sure why Spalding was not used as a closer in the Lexington Catholic game. (In fact, I think that Spalding’s best role on the mound may be as a closer.) I would like to hear the coaching staff’s reason; but one possible explanation might be that Loehnert was a DH and might be more easily warmed up?

Ive watched this kid play for a long time now. I remember when he played summer baseball for the Louisville Lightning and then moved to play ball for the Houston Angels. He is an AMAZING athlete with an AMAZING future ahead of him. I wish the best of luck to this young man. He has always been funner than anything to watch play the game of baseball.

:thumb::thumb: Luck you were there to recap the game. Cannot understand why it was not covered in the local sports sections. Great game to watch from either side!

Ive watched this kid play for a long time now. I remember when he played summer baseball for the Louisville Lightning and then moved to play ball for the Houston Angels. He is an AMAZING athlete with an AMAZING future ahead of him. I wish the best of luck to this young man. He has always been funner than anything to watch play the game of baseball.