HIGHLANDS GUY

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scout Marc Maggard thinks Teague to UK.

marcmaggard

That's what I think.... there is no certainty in recruiting. I like UK's shot. RT @redsoxcat: @marcmaggard u sticking with UK for Teague?

^ Ole frosty tips. Just last week he was still saying Leslie to Kentucky to, he has now changed that to NC State. Maggards opinions/info changes with the way the wind blows. All of his real inside info left as soon as the Gillespie clan disbanded, now he just works off here say within the industry.

And GT this is by no means a knock on you. I know you work with Marc quite a bit (or used to) and hes one of your colleagues, but I would trust your info 100x more than his. You go about your business in a lot different manner, while MM basically just gets an opinion, throws it against a wall and hopes it sticks. If the perception changes, then more than likely so will his info. Then if he is wrong then something unforseen happened and he still knows all. In otherwords, all I am saying is I am glad he hasn't rubbed off on you, in fact I think he could start taking lessons from you.

^ Ole frosty tips. Just last week he was still saying Leslie to Kentucky to, he has now changed that to NC State. Maggards opinions/info changes with the way the wind blows. All of his real inside info left as soon as the Gillespie clan disbanded, now he just works off here say within the industry.

And GT this is by no means a knock on you. I know you work with Marc quite a bit (or used to) and hes one of your colleagues, but I would trust your info 100x more than his. You go about your business in a lot different manner, while MM basically just gets an opinion, throws it against a wall and hopes it sticks. If the perception changes, then more than likely so will his info. Then if he is wrong then something unforseen happened and he still knows all. In otherwords, all I am saying is I am glad he hasn't rubbed off on you, in fact I think he could start taking lessons from you.

Everyone has an opinion on Marc, so I'm not getting involved there. I can say this with 1000% certainty. If you think his UK connections ended when BCG left, you are WAYYYY off base and spend too much time on KSR. In fact I'd say his ties to UK are much stronger with the new staff than they were with the old one. The rest is a nerd fight I don't feel like getting involved in...

The rest is a nerd fight I don't feel like getting involved in...

Which is exactly why I don't visit his site anymore. They both should grow up IMO.

I'll still go to KSR quite a bit, but not for recruiting info/news, mainly because I get a chuckle out of some of the stuff they write.

Everyone has an opinion on Marc, so I'm not getting involved there. I can say this with 1000% certainty. If you think his UK connections ended when BCG left, you are WAYYYY off base and spend too much time on KSR. In fact I'd say his ties to UK are much stronger with the new staff than they were with the old one. The rest is a nerd fight I don't feel like getting involved in...

You have to admit though, he misses a whole lot for somebody with really strong ties to the program.

And I'm not saying I'm partial to KSR or any other site, all I am saying is that when MM actually comes out and makes a statement, it is really hard to put any stock into it because you never really know if he is going to stand by that statement.

You have to admit though, he misses a whole lot for somebody with really strong ties to the program.

And I'm not saying I'm partial to KSR or any other site, all I am saying is that when MM actually comes out and makes a statement, it is really hard to put any stock into it because you never really know if he is going to stand by that statement.

You threw out several KSR misconceptions of Maggard (who lives off stealing his info and saying they "just got a call" to cover it up) so I put 1 and 1 together there.

If you want an accurate assessment of where things are at an exact point in time, then he's the guy you want to go to for info. It's not my style because of some things you pointed out, but that's how he operates. Some love it, some hate it. If you'd prefer someone that gets a lot less info, but seems more accurate because things are on much more solid ground late in the process, there are plenty of options to turn to for that.

I simply can say without question no one is closer to what is going on at UK out of the guys that cover recruiting because I've been there first hand and seen who he talks to for info. If you don't like his delivery, that's your preference. I know a lot of people that don't.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

You threw out several KSR misconceptions of Maggard (who lives off stealing his info and saying they "just got a call" to cover it up) so I put 1 and 1 together there.

If you want an accurate assessment of where things are at an exact point in time, then he's the guy you want to go to for info. It's not my style because of some things you pointed out, but that's how he operates. Some love it, some hate it. If you'd prefer someone that gets a lot less info, but seems more accurate because things are on much more solid ground late in the process, there are plenty of options to turn to for that.

I simply can say without question no one is closer to what is going on at UK out of the guys that cover recruiting because I've been there first hand and seen who he talks to for info. If you don't like his delivery, that's your preference. I know a lot of people that don't.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

I'm going to have to go with GT on this one. Marc has a style of delivery that I care nothing for but when it comes to getting in the trenches and getting the real info, he is as good as you'll find.

He brings a ton of negativity of himself but that's just the way he likes to do things.

On a related note, I have a whole new respect for guys that actually get the information because I spend hours and hours on the road, on the phone, texting, facebooking, and anything else I can do to network with folks. It's not easy to get real sources and, IMO, you can tell in about 15 minutes who is doing the actual work and who isn't.

I have learned after talking to him away from BGP that GT is in there getting solid info, as well. His assessments have been spot on. I could name about 5 guys out there that I trust because I know they don't pass along guesses and crap. I'm not going to because I work and communicate with about 100 guys in the same business, but there are only a handful that are trully go-to guys.

JMO after spending a little more than a year in the basketball business...

I've had this one called for a while, but it didn't look like until recently it was going to happen. IMO Cal needed a shooter for this team more than he needed anything else, he got it with Lamb. He could have used a shooter this year, so I doubted Cal would go into year two making the same mistake.

Next year is really starting to look up. Some guys are better college players than NBA players, and I think UK is getting a couple of those guys in this class. Cal is just a Terrence Jones away from putting a very nice team on the floor next season. If he could pull it off, then there would be exclusively DDM at Kentucky next year, with players who can play it. This past season was basically bring in the best players you can then try and win. With an overloaded post, the DDM was basically out of the question. If Terrence Jones were to commit, then next years team could be lethal with the DDM.

You would have Knight, Lamb, and occasionally Miller, then even Jones who could step out and be pretty consistent from deep. All with penetrating ability, all good passers, and all very crafty scorers. Add big Enes as the 5 man, then that is a Dribble Drive perfect starting five.

The starting 5 will be real good. However lets hope none of our post guys get hurt or in foul trouble, because we would have no one behind them at this point even if he gets a Leslie or Jones. We really do need both of them, or else we will be in trouble with Josh H actually having to see minutes.

The starting 5 will be real good. However lets hope none of our post guys get hurt or in foul trouble, because we would have no one behind them at this point even if he gets a Leslie or Jones. We really do need both of them, or else we will be in trouble with Josh H actually having to see minutes.

UK will lack something they had this year...depth.

Their rotation will likely look like this:

Knight

Lamb

Miller

Kanter

Poole

Liggins

Harrelson

IF Cal gets Jones or Leslie, that will put them at 8 deep...but I wouldn't want to depend on Harrelson as my #7 or #8 guy.

I think Hood may also get some time this coming season if he can get stronger and improve his defense. That's the only thing holding him back right now, IMO. Let's remember this kid was a 4* recruit coming out of high school.

UK will lack something they had this year...depth.

UK will lack a lot of things they had this year...

Wall

Cousins

Patterson

Bledsoe

Orton

(not to mention Dodson and the three seniors)

UK was so fortunate to have three GREAT players this past year in Wall, Cousins and Patterson. It will be hard for the new guys to fill the void.