October 21, 200520 yr A DCA 31, Boyd-Buchanan 24 Attendance: 4665 FYI ... both of those teams come from private schools.
October 21, 200520 yr We are the state of THE Sweet 16! A small state that should be proud of a tradition of making ourselves better by not spreading ourselves thin to succede. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth of this city boy from a working class public school. I didn't want to beat the best kids from CCH, St Henry, NCC, Brossart, HC, etc in the regular season. I wanted them when it counted. Same as the best from every public school kid I competed with as well... I want to beat everyone and everybody I compete against every time. Obviously playoff or tournament time it goes to another level. But this state is headed for a situation where every championship is determined not by the kids as by which school with the most money builds the best team. I can tell that from your posts that you certainly are not one of those "CovCath just out works other schools" guys. Schools across this state have players and coaches that work their butts off and you know regardless of the hard work and great coaching, schools that build their team with incentives that get the better athletes have a tremendous advantage. Private schools continue to win a disproportionate amount of titles in comparison to the number of the schools in the state. Is it really good to turn a blind eye to this or look for a solution to level the competition?
October 21, 200520 yr Listen if they do that, they are cutting of their noses to spite their faces. There will still be championship games to be played and people from those schools will still support them. Kids will still have the fun playing in a cahmpionship game. I assume that most of the people posting here are adults. Lets remember that sports whether it is football or volleyball is for the kids, it is there to enrich the high school experience. It is only when adults get involved that there is touble. I asked several of the kids that play football at my school and they had no idea what it was. When it was explained they all seemed to say they thought it was fine with them if the privates left. So, why get involved then?? And let the kids have fun and play in the championship games as they have been!! :banana:
October 21, 200520 yr I want to beat everyone and everybody I compete against every time. Obviously playoff or tournament time it goes to another level. But this state is headed for a situation where every championship is determined not by the kids as by which school with the most money builds the best team. I can tell that from your posts that you certainly are not one of those "CovCath just out works other schools" guys. Schools across this state have players and coaches that work their butts off and you know regardless of the hard work and great coaching, schools that build their team with incentives that get the better athletes have a tremendous advantage. Private schools continue to win a disproportionate amount of titles in comparison to the number of the schools in the state. Is it really good to turn a blind eye to this or look for a solution to level the competition? Turn a blind eye? I've never said that. This is 100% not the right solution IMO. Did something need to be done? YES. This was far from the answer, and will make the "even playing field" worse. Much like putting Louisville on opposite sides of 4A many moons ago. There are solutions to problems, and there are misguided shots in the dark at the wrong target. It's clear where I stand...
October 21, 200520 yr Correct. It passed the member school vote... According to FOX 19 News this evening this was a done deal. I don't think they've done all their homework on this issue!
October 21, 200520 yr According to FOX 19 News this evening this was a done deal. I don't think they've done all their homework on this issue! :thumb:
October 21, 200520 yr I must state, who really cares??? It's HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS...yes, I am a fan of my teams and love sports, but let's try to have a little perspective here. I know this post will garner much backlash and negative remarks, but I really don't care. IMHO, it's ridiculous...BOTH sides. Also, one gets the impression from reading this that it's all about football. Personally, it looks like the private schools hold much greater sway in the minor sports. Have any public schools EVER wonn state in volleyball? Who's the last public school to win state in swimming or tennis? I really don't know, but I imagine those instances have been few and veeeeeeeery far between. Anyway, I'm surprised it passed, probably won't be enacted as it stands now, might have some compromise put in place, I don't know. In any event, the sun will come out tomorrow and a billion or so Chinese will not know a thing about it. I think a lot of people care and that's what drives this forum!
October 21, 200520 yr I am not sure how a discrimination suit can be made when other states have separate state tournemants. A discrimination suit will not hold water here. Any lawyer with a brain would not advise their client to pursue this course of action in these circumstances.
October 21, 200520 yr Since when can't you find a lawyer that won't take a case because "it won't hold water"? You must surf past the tv commercials. LOL
October 21, 200520 yr The private schools should form their own association and the schools that want to play for a meaningful state championship should join them! The KHSAA trophy should now be made of balsa wood and plastic. This is the exact arrogance that public schools are fed up with. Private schools feeling they are EVERYTHING to the KHSAA and HS athletics. Without the privates, the publics are nothing. It has been an attitude that the publics FEEL they are receiving consistently from the private schools. Whether it is true or not or whether the privates believe they are doing it or not, that is what the publics are getting from the privates. That the privates are 'better', not necessarily on the field, but 'better' in life and class.
October 21, 200520 yr I bet it will be tomorrow's paper...unless it's a privacy issue. I was told by a Board of Control member that votes would be secretive.
October 21, 200520 yr I think you are selling the kids short and their parents too. Not everyone can just pull up stakes and move to an "elite" private school. That is that wonderful elite attitude showing through. Your hilarious, I hope a title that means nothing, makes you sleep well at night. All the public school officals showed is , this has nothing to do about kids, but more about winning. It has nothing to do with how this might affect the kids at all 48 private schools as long as it good for me. I think the public schools showed a selfish attitude that they should not teach their students. Dear class, If you can't beat someone or catch up to them. Cheat or cut corners. Thanks, Public School teacher
October 21, 200520 yr Listen if they do that, they are cutting of their noses to spite their faces. There will still be championship games to be played and people from those schools will still support them. Kids will still have the fun playing in a cahmpionship game. I assume that most of the people posting here are adults. Lets remember that sports whether it is football or volleyball is for the kids, it is there to enrich the high school experience. It is only when adults get involved that there is touble. I asked several of the kids that play football at my school and they had no idea what it was. When it was explained they all seemed to say they thought it was fine with them if the privates left. Sniff.....Sniff I smell a contradiction. If this was only about the kids this proposition would never of existed period.
October 21, 200520 yr I find it cuious that everyone is talking moving.....I aside from all the prop 20 stuff and entertained by this. People talking about moving. If I had a child who was an standout athlete, I would not move him. I would rather teach a valuable lesson on loyalty. Obviously that would be a new concept to many displaced Yankees in NKY anyway. This comment alone shows what ignorance it took to pass this proposition.
October 21, 200520 yr State School Board, KHSAA Board of Directors and State Legislature will all be involved now. It will get very messy... I agree. The nastiness has only begun. THis could make the last presidential election look tame.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.